GDT: GDT #1 Utah Hockey Club vs New York Islanders | October 10th | 7:30 PM | F/OTL 5-4

Islander Class

Jun 30, 2018
South Carolina
At least we managed a point in our Home Opener- and Duclair and Tsyplakov clearly add some much needed "juice" to the line-up.

Other than that- definitely put this one in the rearview, and get ready for a tough trip through the Central...

Last edited:
Reactions: Potvottier

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I thought they played well last night. Dobson had two brutal plays on the last two goals that led to our loss. Would like to see them win Saturday night.

What a release by Tsyplakov though.

Reactions: MJF

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
I feel like I must do an intervention for the PK. Anyone have the address for the Islanders? I have some tape of my local HS team and their PK which is light years ahead of the Isles. And they went 5-15 last year. SMH

Nosebleed40

May 2, 2013
I was at the game. The two new additions played well. But Christ, it’s always the same with this team. The penalty kill was horrific, and I was able to really focus on their form. It appeared they don’t have any. Guys were skating all over on the PK looking lost & confused.

The best part is I turned to the guy sitting next to me after they made it 4-3 and said “watch them give it right back.” And they did as the words were coming out of my mouth.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Didn’t see any comment on Barzal. He wasn’t skating at all.
He's was playing as the high forward most of the game,and he controlled the ice when he was on at ES. He played with a plan.

Utah has a lot of talent, but nyi gave that game away. With all the dobson talk (all deserved) nobody is mentioning that cizikas also had an awful game. Pelech looks like he's working very hard to get not much done.

Nelson looked better at ES than he did all preseason. When palmieri isn't on a heater his turnovers are hard to bear.

I expect to see foudy up soon bc nyi need a better pker. Neither 4th line wing should see their jobs as being secure. Don't know if foudy is the answer, but he's the only one they have.

Reactions: MJF

Big L

Feb 7, 2013
CT
But Christ, it’s always the same with this team. The penalty kill was horrific, and I was able to really focus on their form. It appeared they don’t have any. Guys were skating all over on the PK looking lost & confused.
The 4 man box that stands there and collapses towards the goalie is just so fvcking ridiculous. Allows the other team to pass back n forth and set up at will and get closer and closer to the net just waiting for the eventual good shot and because they’re 17 feet from the net, it’s in every time. Can’t stand to watch it.

Reactions: 19 Straight

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
I was at the game. The two new additions played well. But Christ, it’s always the same with this team. The penalty kill was horrific, and I was able to really focus on their form. It appeared they don’t have any. Guys were skating all over on the PK looking lost & confused.

The best part is I turned to the guy sitting next to me after they made it 4-3 and said “watch them give it right back.” And they did as the words were coming out of my mouth.
I am pretty sure that is the same exact thought that about 98% of us had.

Big L

Feb 7, 2013
CT
Also lol on the WRHU post game, they mentioned the isles record in season opening games. Of the 52, something like 14-30-8. Of those, 13 openers at home. With a record of something like 3-7-3. Oye.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Same Shit Different Coach

If you want change....Then you need to make change. Duclair and Tsyplakov are fine, but the only offseason additions and they don't move the needle. If you bring back 95% of the same team then stands to reason that the results are going to be 95% the same as the season prior (and maybe worse if some players decline due to age).

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Opening night jitters. I really like the line-up they have here. Utah has the adrenaline flowing given they are the new shiny team everyone is talking about. That will wear off soon. Tysplakov is going to be a game breaker. Also didn't mind Duclair trying to do something there at the end. That's the whole purpose of overtime 3 on 3, to end the game as quickly as possible. It could have gone either way. Dobson just had a bad night and with his confidence pretty low at the end of the game perhaps he was not the best player to be passing the puck to.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
If you want change....Then you need to make change. Duclair and Tsyplakov are fine, but the only offseason additions and they don't move the needle. If you bring back 95% of the same team then stands to reason that the results are going to be 95% the same as the season prior (and maybe worse if some players decline due to age).
The change was made with bringing in Roy. The outcome may have not been what we wanted but the style of play they are playing will benefit this line-up in the end. I'd give a full year of Roy hockey before reaching any conclusions. This line-up is pretty strong and Duclair and Tsyplakov would be significant additions to any team. Utah has some good shooters and they are on a high right now. Two bad mistakes by Dobson ruined what could have been a great night for Tsyplakov. Dobson brings a lot to this teams offense but he still has to learn basic defense and he HAS to get physically stronger. I was hoping he would bulk up in the offseason. He's scared to use his body because he's physically not strong enough yet and puck handlers like him tend to puck watch too much rather than taking the body.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Just don't see that "it" factor in Dobson that lead to memorial cup alpha males wins. Get angry already play pissed. Take over a game. It's been how long now? He is pissing away millions soon by being passive. Can carve out a career but it's looking more and more he won't be that guy some thought. Still pulling for him as the next step would really really help the team but c'mon brother......get pissed

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
The 4 man box that stands there and collapses towards the goalie is just so fvcking ridiculous. Allows the other team to pass back n forth and set up at will and get closer and closer to the net just waiting for the eventual good shot and because they’re 17 feet from the net, it’s in every time. Can’t stand to watch it.

I am no fan of the "Collapsing 4 Man Box". I Bet you there are not many Goalies out there that Love this system. Everyone winds up on the doorstep of the Goalie unless the right Shooter picks the corner first....

I also wanted to add that some of the decisions passing are so bad. I mean, our guys telegraph who they are passing to often and it sets up the guy who is receiving the ill advised pass to lose control and turn it over. Some of these decisions baffle me

Last edited:
Reactions: Big L

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I am no fan of the "Collapsing 4 Man Box". I Bet you there are not many Goalies out there that Love this system. Everyone winds up on the doorstep of the Goalie unless the right Shooter picks the corner first....
This Pk is an adjustment to the I-formation/diamond hybrid they were playing last year, which they were executing poorly. (Other teams run that system with a fairly aggressive style too. NYI don't have the players for it).

In my view, you tip your cap to Utah on the first PP goal. First you had the Cooley saucer/skip pass across the ice then a fast perfectly weighted bit of sauce from Macelli to Crouse. There was a stick down in the lane, but those two perfect passes which beat the PK. It happens. That was amazing PP execution. If the criticism of the diamond is that it leaves the slot open after a skip pass, fine. For me, it's a tactical choice, and getting beat by an opponent skillfully attacking a weakness isn't something to dwell until it becomes a pattern.

The second PP goal had three players with their eye on the puck while 2 had no idea what their assignment was. There was no skip pass to get the whole unit moving to set up a seam pass. There was no stick in the lane, and nobody covering the slot. There's no excuse for both failures. That was Cizikas/MaClean, and it was every bit as bad as Dobson's blunder.

Is it possible to take a timeout after scoring a goal? If it's not against the rules, it would have be good to take a TO there after scoring to put the team ahead. Absolutely cannot have giving up a quickie after scoring become a thing, and there would be no reason not to take the TO with a minute or two left in regulation.

Last edited:

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Just don't see that "it" factor in Dobson that lead to memorial cup alpha males wins. Get angry already play pissed. Take over a game. It's been how long now? He is pissing away millions soon by being passive. Can carve out a career but it's looking more and more he won't be that guy some thought. Still pulling for him as the next step would really really help the team but c'mon brother......get pissed
Exactly. He plays the game scared. Scared to make mistakes at critical points in the game that he ends up actually making them. He needs to stop chasing the puck and focus on the body. He can end up being the team's elite quarterback if he stopped worrying so much and simplified his game. He needs to play with more aggression. He needs to step up the physicality. He needs to stop retreating. He needs to accept that as a defensemen there are times when he will have to sacrifice the body. At the end of the game in full panic mode he reverted to Lambert's basketball defense and instead of going down to block the shot (which he shouldn't have been doing if he was in better position) he goes down with the mentality of giving the opposing shooter less net to look at but instead gives his own goaltender less to look at and the puck ends up in the net. He provided the perfect screen for the goaltender. If you are going down Dobson, block the damn shot! Sacrifice the body. Be aggressive!

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I feel like I must do an intervention for the PK. Anyone have the address for the Islanders? I have some tape of my local HS team and their PK which is light years ahead of the Isles. And they went 5-15 last year. SMH
Hard to believe it is this bad. Fun to watch JGP and Holmstrom shorthanded in two of three zones.

Great to see Duclair produce on day one. A little slow to react on the GWG however.

Dobson continues to be a liability defensively. Not loving Pelech either.

Curious to see what Tsyp looks like at the 40 game mark. a lot to be encouraged by.

I thought Wally was retained to play 2nd unit, one timer. I guess not. They needed to get a 2nd PP goal in the first. I imagine he gets 10 games or less. Engvall on the 3rd line and Holmstrom in the Wally spot probably where we should be but time will tell.

Overall a lackluster 2 periods. Lucky to put it together in the 3rd. If you don't know what Utah has in Gunther and Cooley you do now. These guys can play. They have erased the blunders of the boy wonder GM and are moving forward, They have a very good coach in my opinion. Their PP has been solid if not stellar since he's been there and they show a lot of creativity in the ozone. Their top 9 - Keller, Hayton, Crouse, Gunther, Cooley, Kerfoot, Maccelli, Schmaltz and Carcone/Doan/Bjugstad is pretty good and will get better. Bortuzzo was a good vet to add whether he plays much or not. Ingram made two key saves last night Palms open net and Nelson back door, that could have changed the game. Don't think he is a true 1 but could be part of a good tandem. Don't love their defenseman but a few guys on the farm may pan out. All that being said, we should have punished them physically. Didn't happen.

Reactions: Lek

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
here we go again. if thigs dont change quickly its going to be a long season. Lets see how we look after this month

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad