RD Brock Faber (2020, 45th, LAK, traded to MIN)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Not to change this into a Sabres thread and certainly not comparing the two. But how good Faber has been for Minnesota has me feeling really good about Ryan Johnson's projection as well when he gets in the lineup this year.

He looked great in preseason and has been awesome in Rochester so far.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
No, its not.

This Kings fan has rated Faber as untouchable and was extremely disappointed in that trade. Faber has projected out as a franchise cornerstone for a decade at least. Solid in every aspect, the kind of defenseman you can play 20+ minutes every night against the oppositions best while likely wearing your C. Faber will be taking every key shift for the Wild in short order.

Clarke projects to be an outstanding offensive defenseman and a pest, but simply isn't going ti be the player you ice with a 1 goal lead late in a playoff game. He is more of a weapon than a complete player.

Fiala is a paper tiger. Tremendous skills and B+ production, but a ten cent head who goes into business for himself on a nightly basis by over-handling, taking unnecessary risks often leading to grade A chances against, dives and embellishes far too often, and takes some of thr dumbest retaliation penalties you will ever see. His puck holding style also makes it very difficult to mesh with any skilled centers. He likely won't ever be on a teams top line for that reason, he is not compatible with other players who need the puck on their stick. The Kings best hockey in the regular season AND playoffs was when Fiala was out injured.

It was a lousy trade from the second it was announced. The Kings dealt a kid always likely to be a top pairing defender and a first rounder for a very productive supporting winger.

I'm on board with Faber over Clarke, but need for Fiala was absolutely a great move for the Kings. Now, as I've stated, they should've begged Minny to take Clarke or added to Clarke to get him and I agree trading Faber was a mistake. The Kings basically just traded their Doughty replacement. To be fair, there's nothing that's come out stating that Minnesota preferred or even wanted to Clarke, at least to my knowledge.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
It was clear he would be a star within like 10 games at the U.

Yup, agree 100%

One of the easiest B10 players I’ve ever felt comfortable projecting basically right from the drop, along with Q Hughes and Caufield. Three totally different players, but three guys who had elite game sense and coupled it with the a great individual talent (defense, shooting, skating etc). As I'm sure you would agree, Faber possesses that off the charts game-sense which enables the game to slow down much more for him than it does for others, couple that with a superstar level ability to suppress offense whenever he is on the ice and you have a beast of a player. I can't believe he fell to the 2nd round, and if the draft was set-up how it used to be and NCAA guys had to opt-out until after their freshman year he would have easily been a 1st round pick.

Faber wanting to go to Minnesota specifically has been debunked time and time again. He also played another year in college after the trade. He said he would have signed in LA, too.

And I said before Fiala touched ice for LA that I didn't like the trade, along with a few others (sorry, @William H Bonney I don't remember your specific stance but take you at your word, as I've seen nothing but honest discussion from you).

It doesn't matter, these guys have been told this time and time again and they still push the narrative, because in their eyes it makes Blake look better. And it's only going to get worse as Faber continues to develop into an even better player, rather than admit that Blake traded a young star defenseman they will double down on the "He wasn't coming to LA" nonsense.

The wild thing (no pun intended) is that they can point to the actual trade and say value wise it wasn't that bad of a trade, Fiala is a great player too. But since these guys spent an entire year pushing the trade as "Blake fleeced Minnesota", "Blake got Fiala for pennies on the dollar", "Blake got Fiala for a 1st and some 2nd round prospect" they now have to defer to the "He wasn't coming to LA" to still justify the trade as a robbery.

Had Faber truly wished to take this to UFA, he would be playing right now as a senior for the Gophers, and would be ineligible to sign an UFA/ELC until August, which wouldn't start until the 24-25 season and would end after the 26-27 season. Instead he is now eligible to sign an extension on July 1st of next year (which begins in 25/26), for presumably pretty big money.

Last edited:

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Not to change this into a Sabres thread and certainly not comparing the two. But how good Faber has been for Minnesota has me feeling really good about Ryan Johnson's projection as well when he gets in the lineup this year.

He looked great in preseason and has been awesome in Rochester so far.

Johnson was the most underrated player on the Gophers last year. He will be a really solid pro.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
No, its not.

This Kings fan has rated Faber as untouchable and was extremely disappointed in that trade. Faber has projected out as a franchise cornerstone for a decade at least. Solid in every aspect, the kind of defenseman you can play 20+ minutes every night against the oppositions best while likely wearing your C. Faber will be taking every key shift for the Wild in short order.

Clarke projects to be an outstanding offensive defenseman and a pest, but simply isn't going ti be the player you ice with a 1 goal lead late in a playoff game. He is more of a weapon than a complete player.

Fiala is a paper tiger. Tremendous skills and B+ production, but a ten cent head who goes into business for himself on a nightly basis by over-handling, taking unnecessary risks often leading to grade A chances against, dives and embellishes far too often, and takes some of thr dumbest retaliation penalties you will ever see. His puck holding style also makes it very difficult to mesh with any skilled centers. He likely won't ever be on a teams top line for that reason, he is not compatible with other players who need the puck on their stick. The Kings best hockey in the regular season AND playoffs was when Fiala was out injured.

It was a lousy trade from the second it was announced. The Kings dealt a kid always likely to be a top pairing defender and a first rounder for a very productive supporting winger.
The fact you rated Faber untouchable is good for you but some just don’t.

Do you have to say that and the fact that Fiala is a B-level winger seriously everywhere. That you are a Kings fan “me being a Kings fan” does not give it any more fuel or so. I often read that and think, yes great….and ?

Me and others think that was an awesome trade, perhaps the wrong moment but value wise excellent.

Is it for once okay, that there are people out there who have a different opinion. I understand this is a message board but meanwhile everyone knows how you think about it.

I think Clarke will be much much better and LA did not give up much for a PPG player in the prime of his career. I am not a Blake fan by any means but he did well on this.

Last edited:

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
It doesn't matter, these guys have been told this time and time again and they still push the narrative, because in their eyes it makes Blake look better. And it's only going to get worse as Faber continues to develop into an even better player, rather than admit that Blake traded a young star defenseman they will double down on the "He wasn't coming to LA" nonsense.

The wild thing (no pun intended) is that they can point to the actual trade and say value wise it wasn't that bad of a trade, Fiala is a great player too. But since these guys spent an entire year pushing the trade as "Blake fleeced Minnesota", "Blake got Fiala for pennies on the dollar", "Blake got Fiala for a 1st and some 2nd round prospect" they now have to defer to the "He wasn't coming to LA" to still justify the trade as a robbery.

Had Faber truly wished to take this to UFA, he would be playing right now as a senior for the Gophers, and would be ineligible to sign an UFA/ELC until August, which wouldn't start until the 24-25 season and would end after the 26-27 season. Instead he is now eligible to sign an extension on July 1st of next year (which begins in 25/26), for presumably pretty big money.
Who are “these guys” Herby ? Really curious.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Who are these guys Herby ?

The people who make up the “Faber didn’t want to sign in LA” stuff, and usually in the context of defending or justifying the trade.

There was zero truth to it, it’s been refuted numerous times by various different media sources, Faber himself said in an interview he was planning on signing in LA at the end of last season, yet here we are still having to debunk it on these forums, why?

People can say they liked the trade, they liked Fiala and thought it was fair value, all these things are true and reasonable takes. There is no need to make stuff up to try and defend the trade.

Reactions: William H Bonney

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
The people who make up the “Faber didn’t want to sign in LA” stuff, and usually in the context of defending or justifying the trade.

There was zero truth to it, it’s been refuted numerous times by various different media sources, Faber himself said in an interview he was planning on signing in LA at the end of next season, yet here we are still having to debunk it on these forums, why?

You can say you liked the trade, you liked Fiala and thought it was fair value, all these things are true. There is no need to make stuff up.
The horror.

Is it possible that people have read that, could understand it (played for the university of Minnesota already) and have not read that much hockey anymore over the summer ?

Could it be there is seriously ZERO bad intentions behind it and people do not want to justify a damn thing.

Could it be that ?

Just asking.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
The horror.

Is it possible that people have read that, could understand it (played for the university of Minnesota already) and have not read that much hockey anymore over the summer ?

Could it be there is seriously ZERO bad intentions behind it and people do not want to justify a damn thing.

Could it be that ?

Just asking.
So people are just making stuff up. What is the basis that Faber was only signing with the Wild?

The Kings have drafted players from all over the continent, why is it this player that rumors are made up about to justify a trade?

Why didn’t anyone say Vilardi or Byfield only wanted to play in Toronto

Or Turcotte wanted to play in Chicago. Or JAD in Calgary?

Why is the “he only wanted to play in Minnesota” always used to further justify or excuse the trade.

Sorry to be wondering why made up stuff with no basis in reality continues to be pushed.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
So people are just making stuff up. What is the basis that Faber was only signing with the Wild?

The Kings have drafted players from all over the continent, why is it this player that rumors are made up about to justify a trade?

Why is the “he only wanted to play in Minnesota” always used to further justify or excuse the trade.

Sorry to be wondering why made up stuff with no basis in reality continues to be pushed.
It wouldn't be the first group of people to get a little punchy when a highly regarded player gets to the 3rd NCAA year.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The horror.

I don't know how people can continue to "understand it" that way when every previous discussion on the issue has had it debunked.

So, sure, if someone wants to continue making up stuff in their own mind, that's plausible. But if they're going to assert this confidently, you'd think they'd have something more concrete than the Always Sunny meme of connecting the dots.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Dean Evanson is really high on Faber, after just a handful of NHL games. Says he has a veteran presence.

Miss Fiala a bunch, but Faber is really good.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands

I don't know how people can continue to "understand it" that way when every previous discussion on the issue has had it debunked.

So, sure, if someone wants to continue making up stuff in their own mind, that's plausible. But if they're going to assert this confidently, you'd think they'd have something more concrete than the Always Sunny meme of connecting the dots.

Who is “this someone” than and why are you both getting so agitated about it.

Seems like a non issue to me but you both keep harping about it. Like there is an extreme large vocal group keep mentioning it over and over again.

There is something behind it because this absolutely makes no sense.

Last edited:

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I would love to see Faber eventually get some PP time. To me, he seems like because of his hockey IQ and processing abilities that he overperforms in every role from what initial expectations are (and has at all levels through his career).

I'd love to see his patience and hockey IQ on the PP with that extra space. I think he makes really good decisions, isn't afraid to take space with the puck when there, and has good hips so he can walk the blue line and change angles.

I think it would end up working out well.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Faber is much better than Clarke.

Classic example of draft position making the difference In peoples minds.

I don’t think the part on Clarke is true, they are close as prospects. The part about draft position is certainly true.

Seems like a non issue to me but you both keep harping about it. Like there is an extreme large vocal group keep mentioning it over and over again.

It just gets annoying when stuff which literally originated as speculation on this forum is pushed as truth, and almost always used when it comes to trying to justify this trade.

“Blake had no choice but to move him” , “Faber wasn’t signing in LA”

The trade is fine as is, saying “LA needed a 1st line winger and I was ok with the high price” is cool, as much as I liked Faber this is kind of how I felt. But for a lot of people (not including you in this group) who were using this trade to say how “Blake fleeced the Wild” and “Fiala at a huge discount” etc have now taken to using the fake made-up stuff to defend Blake, saying "he had no choice" , since its becoming more and more clear this was far from a fleecing as far as the hockey assets involved.

I don't want to speak to much for KP, but I would assume he agrees that it’s just better when the discussions are based on factual things and not debunked messageboard speculation.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

You literally stated this trade was about Faber wanting to go to Minnesota. Then when called on it, handwaved it and suggested a scenario where someone could be well-meaning with their (baseless) assumptions. A reminder:
And why not, Faber really wanted to be there and LA received a PPG winger in the prime of his career.
God forbid we "harp" on an issue by correcting you, or anyone else in previous discussions in other threads who still bring this up. The post-trade threads were constantly bringing up that he was never going to sign in LA, and posted pictures of him enjoying a Wild game, as evidence he didn't want to come to LA.

One of the recent threads STILL asserts that Faber wasn't going to sign in LA, despite him spending another year in college after the trade. Like this one: GDT: - 2023-24 season Game 2 LA Kings vs Carolina Hurricanes @7:30pm 10/14/23

So, yes, it's still ongoing and being perpetuated. And even if it's an ignorant minority, maybe we just like engaging in discussions which have proven to be true? Did you want to talk about how Ovechkin is a career 10-goal scorer, or some other talking point which someone can look up and prove otherwise?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
This is getting totally ridiculous. Hahaha

Like someone else just said already in another topic, you are smarter than this.

I already said i must have missed that news over the summer and you both keep bragging about it. Heck, i did not even replied to it the first time and thought ok fine, also good. That was not good enough ? Who cares. I am generally thrilled about that trade whether Faber wanted to be there or not.

And than Herby comes along. Of course, he felt the need to support you for whatever reason. You both acted like ***** about absolutely nothing. “Hey well said KingsPawn, I will back you up”. That kind of bull. He talks about narrative this and narrative that, being a Blake lover, justifying the trade and all kind of other stuff while nothing of that has been said at all. At least not here.

You both are ****hurt about something else otherwise you wouldn’t make an issue about this. One sentence about this matter can not be the problem.
Its fine you are thrilled with the trade, I am probably closer to your opinion than the opinions of KP and Bland. But they have hated the trade from the start, before Faber played any NHL games. And whenever the trade is ever discussed (especially by them) the replies inevitably end up with the myth “he wasn’t signing in LA.” to try and contradict or minimize their opinion, I assume it gets tiresome.

I don’t blame you for thinking it, it’s said so much by the Axl’s of the world (and even others) that naturally people begin to believe the lies. That is why I don’t see the issue in bringing up that it’s a myth, like KP often does when it’s brought up. If it’s corrected everytime it’s brought up, then people like you who were truly unaware are now made aware and future conversations won’t include factually incorrect things. Which is better for the forum as a whole, right?

The origin of the Faber myth was actually non-intentional and was suggested by a member of the Kings forum when it was reported that Faber had a special needs younger sister and he SPECULATED that perhaps wanted to only play for the Wild. From there it grew and grew and grew to where many in the group and even on many other Kings forums believed it. Even though Faber had moved 700 miles away to live in Plymouth, MI for 2 years to play for the NTDP.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
This is getting totally ridiculous. Hahaha

Like someone else just said already in another topic, you are smarter than this.

I already said i must have missed that news over the summer and you both keep talking about it. Heck, i did not even replied to it the first time and thought ok fine, also good. That was not good enough ? Who cares. I am generally thrilled about that trade whether Faber wanted to be there or not.

And than Herby comes along. Of course, he felt the need to support you for whatever reason. You both acted like ***** about absolutely nothing. “Hey well said KingsPawn, I will back you up”. That kind of bull. He talks about narrative this and narrative that, being a Blake lover, justifying the trade and all kind of other stuff while nothing of that has been said at all. At least not here.

You both are ****hurt about something else otherwise you wouldn’t make an issue about this. One sentence about this matter can not be the problem.

I will leave it at that.

I literally gave you another example of someone else propagating the same falsehood, and sorry, but it's pretty frustrating to have it said again and again.

It's not an issue of being butthurt. I do think there are people who have pushed this narrative because they love Fiala, love Blake, or didn't know anything about Faber. I've said nothing of your motivations though, just the accuracy of your claims. I didn't even argue with you about your opinion of him. Or argue with you when you accused people of only caring because he scored a goal - just that I've always been high on him going back to college.

But as you said, we'll leave it at that.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I literally gave you another example of someone else propagating the same falsehood, and sorry, but it's pretty frustrating to have it said again and again.

It's not an issue of being butthurt. I do think there are people who have pushed this narrative because they love Fiala, love Blake, or didn't know anything about Faber. I've said nothing of your motivations though, just the accuracy of your claims. I didn't even argue with you about your opinion of him. Or argue with you when you accused people of only caring because he scored a goal - just that I've always been high on him going back to college.

But as you said, we'll leave it at that.
FWIW this kind of back-and-forth and divide in a fanbase is what trading Fiala did to the Wild's fanbase. To this day, one of the longest-running schisms is not prioritizing signing Fiala and then making everything else work however possible even if it means having to have minimum contract players in situations you wouldn't otherwise.

Fiala is one of the better wingers in the league and not just a finisher, but a play-driver as well. Those guys are extremely difficult to find.

I think it's a relief that Faber looks like he's going to be able to be at least a #2/#3 defender and has a chance to even be better than that.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
FWIW this kind of back-and-forth and divide in a fanbase is what trading Fiala did to the Wild's fanbase. To this day, one of the longest-running schisms is not prioritizing signing Fiala and then making everything else work however possible even if it means having to have minimum contract players in situations you wouldn't otherwise.

Fiala is one of the better wingers in the league and not just a finisher, but a play-driver as well. Those guys are extremely difficult to find.

I think it's a relief that Faber looks like he's going to be able to be at least a #2/#3 defender and has a chance to even be better than that.
I appreciate the feedback. I've honestly never liked the trade. And not even because I dislike Fiala. I just really like Faber. And from my standpoint, Blake and company rushed their way out of a rebuild by trading future assets to win now.

The trade was made before:
- Clarke stepped on NHL ice
- Turcotte has played regularly in the NHL (and he still hasn't)
- Byfield had an opportunity at the top-6 role
- before Faber stepped on NHL ice (obviously)

The Kings blew their wad to acquire a player before even completing the rebuild, and they gave up an exceptional defensive prospect along with a first to do it.

MikeyS

Aug 28, 2023
He is one hell of a defender. Has #1 written all over him. Scouts are studying this kid to identify what they missed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad