RD Brock Faber (2020, 45th, LAK, traded to MIN)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Is there any chance he takes over the top PP? The bit i seen of him he looks fantastic.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Is there any chance he takes over the top PP? The bit i seen of him he looks fantastic.
Probably not anytime soon but long term yeah. They’re already playing him top pair, top pk minutes. Don’t want to overwhelm him

Reactions: Guadana

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

I don't think Faber is a PP1 guy, even though he's a minutes muncher. But I can see him doing everything else and playing some PP2 some day.

I could be wrong of course. Some guys have hidden gifts that aren't immediately apparent.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I don't think Faber is a PP1 guy, even though he's a minutes muncher. But I can see him doing everything else and playing some PP2 some day.

I could be wrong of course. Some guys have hidden gifts that aren't immediately apparent.
I suppose it depends on what you are looking for out of your PP1 D man. He has a skill set that would likely work quite well as a facilitator, good as the lone man back, passes and moves the puck quickly and accurately, good at zone entries, gets his shot off quickly, and sneaky good vision for cross ice plays. Suter ran the Wild PP for the better part of a decade with a not dissimilar skill set.

So far this season, you could argue he has been a little overly aggressive offensively, it has cost the Wild on the scoreboard a few times when he jumps up for offense and his teammates turn it over with nobody home. Now I personally believe most of those were right play for him to make and you have to have trust in your teammates, but I think he has really shifted to add the offensive element to his game, if there is a learning curve for him in this league, that is definitely it.

On the whole, absolutely love this player, so good all over the ice. I thought he had two of the best plays of the game against Philly, neither one got him a point.

He had a brilliant play in the defensive corner on a puck retrieval where he managed to outplay 3 Flyers that had forecheck positioning on him. Body position bounced the first guy while protecting the puck with his skate, fooled the other two into thinking he was going behind the net, reversed it quickly up the boards at quad height directly past them all and straight to Hartman's stick for a clean odd man rush out of the defensive zone.

Then he had the third assist on this play, which just has this little hesitation move that he's used a few times in this league to just casually feed guys in full stride into the O zone, subtle thing of beauty that shows how he exploits his opponents:

BuiumSaveUs

May 2, 2018

I tend to agree with you on this but there’s more offense to his game than I thought. He’s miles ahead of a guy like Brodin offensively already, imo

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Can’t be overstated how rare/impressive it is to play big minutes on a top pairing and excel immediately as a u21 defender.

At this point he goes top 5 in a redraft.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Lots of Kings fans like acting as if the trade was beneficial for both the Kings and the Wild, but this is gonna become more and more lopsided as time goes on.

Faber AND a first for Fiala tastes like shit.

BuiumSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Can’t be overstated how rare/impressive it is to play big minutes on a top pairing and excel immediately as a u21 defender.

At this point he goes top 5 in a redraft.
Seems aggressive. Top 10-12 tho

Lots of Kings fans like acting as if the trade was beneficial for both the Kings and the Wild, but this is gonna become more and more lopsided as time goes on.

Faber AND a first for Fiala tastes like shit.
I don’t agree with that. Fiala is a special player and a treat to watch. He matched up with their contention window a bit better as well. I think it was a good deal for both sides. It’s not like LA is hurting in their right side.

BuiumSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Nah, a good top pairing, minutes eating, 2 way defenseman is borderline top 5 in almost any draft. To be that at 21 is a guarantee.
Yeah I’d take Stutzle, Byfield, Sanderson, Jarvis over him. Drysdale, Quinn, Rossi, Perfetti, Lundell would be interesting conversations.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It would be bizarre if he ran a NHL PP, let alone a #1 PP, as he rarely played on the PP in college.

He has been very good for a rookie, and I do see some similarities to MacAvoy, but he's not there yet. He does make mistakes, like you'd expect from a rookie, but chances are he will be a really solid top 3 D at a minimum. It is nice to see that his skating is more than good enough, as is his physicality. it does help that his partner is one of of, if not the best, defensive Dmen in the league.

Fiala was an excellent 1st line player in Minnesota, even though they did their level best to bury by playing him with the likes of Victor Rask, and Tyson Jost. He has the ability to break a game open, which is a rare quality.

I'd say both teams made out well in the trade. LAK's window is now, especially if their young players like Byfield, Clarke, Kaliyev develop as hoped, and PLD settles in. Fiala fits that window perfectly, and his deal will start to look vg in a couple of years time when the cap goes up significantly.

MN's window is not for a couple of years at least till they get out of cap hell. Faber, and Ohgren/Yurov, fit that window better.

Last edited:

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Yeah I’d take Stutzle, Byfield, Sanderson, Jarvis over him. Drysdale, Quinn, Rossi, Perfetti, Lundell would be interesting conversations.
Hmm, seeing that list, I’ll admit to being a likely homer, but he would be in my top 5 as well. At least in terms of most interesting prospects. And with that I have a new name and avatar.

Reactions: Sean Garrity

BuiumSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Hmm, seeing that list, I’ll admit to being a likely homer, but he would be in my top 5 as well. At least in terms of most interesting prospects. And with that I have a new name and avatar.
You can only keep him or Rossi who are you choosing?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Needs to improve a lot on the PK, but so does the whole f***ing team.

I like Faber a lot, but I'd probably still undue the trade. If we took somebody else at #19, the conversation might change a bit.

FrodoBeggins

Jun 26, 2016
Kerch
Нужно значительно улучшить ПК, как и вся чертова команда.

Мне очень нравится Фабер, но я, вероятно, все равно не оправдал бы эту сделку. Если бы мы взяли кого-нибудь другого в №19, разговор мог бы немного измениться.
And who should we take instead of Oghren? Who is so much better that you can say so confidently? Instead of Haight, one could take Poitras or Hutson. But with the Swede I have no such confidence.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
And who should we take instead of Oghren? Who is so much better that you can say so confidently? Instead of Haight, one could take Poitras or Hutson. But with the Swede I have no such confidence.
I'm not confidently saying that anybody is better. I think that anybody taken at that spot is probably going to end up as a "complimentary" player. Just that there are others that I would prefer: Kulich (position) and Snuggerud (skillset).

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

FrodoBeggins

Jun 26, 2016
Kerch
*Cough* Snuggerud *Cough*
Screenshot_45.png

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad