RD Brock Faber (2020, 45th, LAK, traded to MIN)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
And why not, Faber really wanted to be there and LA received a PPG winger in the prime of his career.

Now suddenly after scoring a goal Faber is untouchable. LA has two other righthanded defensemen (Clarke & Spence) waiting to take a spot.
Faber wanting to go to Minnesota specifically has been debunked time and time again. He also played another year in college after the trade. He said he would have signed in LA, too.

And I said before Fiala touched ice for LA that I didn't like the trade, along with a few others (sorry, @William H Bonney I don't remember your specific stance but take you at your word, as I've seen nothing but honest discussion from you).

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Faber wanting to go to Minnesota specifically has been debunked time and time again. He also played another year in college after the trade. He said he would have signed in LA, too.

And I said before Fiala touched ice for LA that I didn't like the trade, along with a few others (sorry, @William H Bonney I don't remember your specific stance but take you at your word, as I've seen nothing but honest discussion from you).

I don't remember if I shared a stance at the time of the trade, although I did after he signed with the Wild:

Reactions: King'sPawn

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Kings traded the wrong defenseman. Said it at the time. Now we can't assume they would've taken Clarke over Faber, but I think Faber>Clarke. Adding to Clarke would've been the move, assuming it wasn't astronomical.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Kings traded the wrong defenseman. Said it at the time. Now we can't assume they would've taken Clarke over Faber, but I think Faber>Clarke. Adding to Clarke would've been the move, assuming it wasn't astronomical.
They could’ve traded any of Durzi or Spence too. Nice to have options tho

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
I don't remember if I shared a stance at the time of the trade, although I did after he signed with the Wild:

He’s also one of the relatively few prospects who just made steady progress until he was an NHL player. Most scouting services had him anywhere in the 50-150 range, Cam Robinson is the only one I remember having him as a first-rounder. But from there, Faber just got better and better consistently.

Reactions: William H Bonney

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
The Wild's best defender in all 3 zones in both initial games -- that includes Brodin (although being better than anyone else the Wild is currently icing isn't hard).

+3 in a 7-4 game and wasn't on the ice for a single goal. He's really aggressive with the stretch pass, isn't afraid to step up into the play, and even has some patience and puck skills to hang onto pucks and take the puck to the net (did it twice).

This along with his excellence defensive timing, positioning, and stick as well as the fact that he's really strong (although not a huge hitter) and the sky is the limit for him.

To me, this is a first pairing guy ES... although some ultimate questions on his overall point production and ability to spend time on the PP which will put his name among the elites. To me, it looks like he's a potential top 15-20 D in the Spurgeon/Brodin mold when they've been at their best at a minimum (where on-ice impact > counting stats).

I still miss Fiala.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The Wild's best defender in all 3 zones in both initial games -- that includes Brodin (although being better than anyone else the Wild is currently icing isn't hard).

+3 in a 7-4 game and wasn't on the ice for a single goal. He's really aggressive with the stretch pass, isn't afraid to step up into the play, and even has some patience and puck skills to hang onto pucks and take the puck to the net (did it twice).

This along with his excellence defensive timing, positioning, and stick as well as the fact that he's really strong (although not a huge hitter) and the sky is the limit for him.

To me, this is a first pairing guy ES... although some ultimate questions on his overall point production and ability to spend time on the PP which will put his name among the elites. To me, it looks like he's a potential top 15-20 D in the Spurgeon/Brodin mold when they've been at their best at a minimum (where on-ice impact > counting stats).

I still miss Fiala.
He and Brodin were on for the PP goal against.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
They could’ve traded any of Durzi or Spence too. Nice to have options tho
I don't think either of those D would've been of interest to Guerin. At the time of the trade, most thought that the 1st rounder(Ohgren/Yurov) had the most value, Faber the least. Time has proved the deal to be a decent one at worst for MN, but let's not pretend that Fiala has gone to LA and stunk it up. He is a legit 1st liner.

Reactions: flyerslducks

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
You can’t be serious.

Madness.

100% serious if your question is whether I think Faber is and will be better than Clarke and that the Kings should've begged to include Clarke or added to Clarke instead. Clarke wont have near the impact Faber will.

Last edited:

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
I thought Faber was excellent in the Wild vs Leafs game. His ability to find space is exceptional for a rookie d. Also playing with a ton of confidence, he drove from wide right to in front of the net twice in the game. I thought he stood out more than any other player on the Wild. The Wild have a good one here for sure.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
I don't think either of those D would've been of interest to Guerin. At the time of the trade, most thought that the 1st rounder(Ohgren/Yurov) had the most value, Faber the least. Time has proved the deal to be a decent one at worst for MN, but let's not pretend that Fiala has gone to LA and stunk it up. He is a legit 1st liner.
Ya fiala was probably worth the price for them. That’s what they needed, a dynamic winger. They have the defensive depth and now the fwd depth. If they can solidify their goaltending…gunna be a great team

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
It was a good trade for both teams. Bottom line was that Minnesota just couldn't fit Fiala under their cap and everyone knew it.

LA is holding their window open for a few more years and they needed a dynamic winger a lot more than they needed another good top 4 D.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
It was a good trade for both teams. Bottom line was that Minnesota just couldn't fit Fiala under their cap and everyone knew it.

LA is holding their window open for a few more years and they needed a dynamic winger a lot more than they needed another good top 4 D.
Yup one of those rare win-win trades

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I remember about a year ago posting my top 30 prospects list and had him 17th and above Clarke, boy did I endure shit talking over that

I also endured trash talk because I had Cooley above Wright and Slaf and because I had Wyatt Johnston quite high.

I did completely whiff out on Cossa though

Love going back to that stuff

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I remember about a year ago posting my top 30 prospects list and had him at 17th and above Clarke, boy did I endure shit talking over that

I also endured trash talk because I had Cooley above Wright and Slaf and because I had Wyatt Johnston quite high.

I did completely whiff out on Cossa though

Love going back to that stuff
It's too soon to write off Cossa, though it's not looking good. He was always supposed to be a project.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
You can’t be serious.

Madness.
No, its not.

This Kings fan has rated Faber as untouchable and was extremely disappointed in that trade. Faber has projected out as a franchise cornerstone for a decade at least. Solid in every aspect, the kind of defenseman you can play 20+ minutes every night against the oppositions best while likely wearing your C. Faber will be taking every key shift for the Wild in short order.

Clarke projects to be an outstanding offensive defenseman and a pest, but simply isn't going ti be the player you ice with a 1 goal lead late in a playoff game. He is more of a weapon than a complete player.

Fiala is a paper tiger. Tremendous skills and B+ production, but a ten cent head who goes into business for himself on a nightly basis by over-handling, taking unnecessary risks often leading to grade A chances against, dives and embellishes far too often, and takes some of thr dumbest retaliation penalties you will ever see. His puck holding style also makes it very difficult to mesh with any skilled centers. He likely won't ever be on a teams top line for that reason, he is not compatible with other players who need the puck on their stick. The Kings best hockey in the regular season AND playoffs was when Fiala was out injured.

It was a lousy trade from the second it was announced. The Kings dealt a kid always likely to be a top pairing defender and a first rounder for a very productive supporting winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad