RD Brock Faber (2020, 45th, LAK, traded to MIN)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
That was a game saving play on Marchment. He doesn't have Brodin's fluidity and unreal composure, but is stronger than he was at the same age, I think. Seems to make good decisions with the puck, also. He is certainly up to the challenge, so far.
Very surprising, to me. Coming in and playing great defensively in the NHL playoffs out of college is not normal.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
That was a game saving play on Marchment. He doesn't have Brodin's fluidity and unreal composure, but is stronger than he was at the same age, I think. Seems to make good decisions with the puck, also. He is certainly up to the challenge, so far.
Very surprising, to me. Coming in and playing great defensively in the NHL playoffs out of college is not normal.
I see it didn’t take long for you to change your tune

Reactions: Wildabeast

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I see it didn’t take long for you to change your tune
Nope, and it's not the first time I've been wrong. It's really hard to tell how a college, minor pro, or junior player will react to the physicality and speed of the NHL until they actually face it. In Faber's case he is coping terrifically. Knies also looks fine, but he was a beast in college.

Rossi....:(

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

BuiumSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Nope, and it's not the first time I've been wrong. It's really hard to tell how a college, minor pro, or junior player will react to the physicality and speed of the NHL until they actually face it. In Faber's case he is coping terrifically. Knies also looks fine, but he was a beast in college.

Rossi....:(
Rossi’s just a little man who isn’t strong and can’t really skate. Kinda feels like the game is getting smaller, which is partially true, but you still have to be able to skate and win puck battles

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Rossi’s just a little man who isn’t strong and can’t really skate. Kinda feels like the game is getting smaller, which is partially true, but you still have to be able to skate and win puck battles
Yup, unfortunately. Seems hilarious, in retrospect, that he was being billed as one of the most "NHL ready" prospects in 2020. He and Petan have way too much in common, though Rossi is a much better defensive player.

Of all the forwards in Iowa, Milne, Beckman, and Walker(in that order) have the most chance to grow into a NHL role if they gain some strength. I have my doubts that Walker can get any stronger, as he is 23yo already, but otherwise he's got a nice skillset. Beckman still looks very thin, but he's well over 6', and is getting stronger.
Milne has really improved over the course of the year. Nice wheels, decently strong on his skates, and has a couple of nice moves that, when paired with his speed, make him interesting. I don't see why he couldn't be an improved version of Shaw in a year or so.

Reactions: BuiumSaveUs

BuiumSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Yup, unfortunately. Seems hilarious, in retrospect, that he was being billed as one of the most "NHL ready" prospects in 2020. He and Petan have way too much in common, though Rossi is a much better defensive player.

Of all the forwards in Iowa, Milne, Beckman, and Walker(in that order) have the most chance to grow into a NHL role if they gain some strength. I have my doubts that Walker can get any stronger, as he is 23yo already, but otherwise he's got a nice skillset. Beckman still looks very thin, but he's well over 6', and is getting stronger.
Milne has really improved over the course of the year. Nice wheels, decently strong on his skates, and has a couple of nice moves that, when paired with his speed, make him interesting. I don't see why he couldn't be an improved version of Shaw in a year or so.
I’m glad you keep up with Iowa so closely. Watching their games is a real drag for me

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I’m glad you keep up with Iowa so closely. Watching their games is a real drag for me
Well...it's the minor leagues, but I find it interesting how some junior and college players can't make the jump even to the AHL. It's a whole different thing when you are playing against men who are playing so that they can feed their families.

this might be my last year watching a lot of AHL, though.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Earning high praise from his coach for his performances so far at 15:04:

He has really solidified the defense, the Wild are back to having 3 highly competent D lines and it makes things a whole lot easier. Brock has been a rock, making the right plays and winning his battles.

Per Naturalstattrick, he leads Wild defensemen in actual and expected GF% at 3/0 and 66.32% (Klingberg slightly ahead in one game as Faber's partner.) Zero Giveaways at all strengths, he moves the puck extremely well, even in outnumbered or pressured situations.

Last edited:

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
I'm just going to pencil in Faber as a Brodin level elite shut down defender who will always put up average points but never wow you with his offense. Yes I should probably pump the breaks but really the kid is really really good and won't see a minute of AHL time outside any kind of conditioning stints. Should be in the calder conversation next year but we all know he won't put up the stats to be under serious consideration no matter how well he plays his position.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
First NHL goal tonight, had a great game and led all Wild players in ice time in the win. Some brilliant stick play in this one, his coach Evason was quite effusive in praise for him in the post game, "looks like a seasoned vet,"

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He looked really good, besides the goal. Seems to be strong enough, has excellent skating, and his decision making is sound. He and Brodin have the potential to be one hell of a shutdown pair.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
It's not a bad trade. Adding Fiala is great. But not at the expense of Faber.
And why not, Faber really wanted to be there and LA received a PPG winger in the prime of his career.

Now suddenly after scoring a goal Faber is untouchable. LA has two other righthanded defensemen (Clarke & Spence) waiting to take a spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Faber looks very promising, and projects to have a long career as a top 4 D at the very least. Fiala is a top 15 LW, with an elite skillset. You don't get those guys for peanuts. Given where both teams are in their respective development/cap, the trade makes sense, though only because Faber has turned out to be good.

Classic win-win trade, though a lot turns on how Ohgren turns out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad