RD Brandon Montour (2012 undrafted; 2014, 55th, ANA)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Why is that? It's not like Vatanen, at least based on my viewings is anything insane. He's like Barrie-lite.

Barrie and Vatanen are two of the top OFD's in hockey and both are above avg defensively.

I love Montour as a prospect but odds are against him becoming better than that

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Barrie and Vatanen are two of the top OFD's in hockey and both are above avg defensively.

I love Montour as a prospect but odds are against him becoming better than that

Montours numbers have trounced vatanens at the ahl level and vats didn't become defensively responsible till later on. Writing off montours progression already is a little premature no?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I'm trying to decide who a good comp for Montour might be. Mike Green? I haven't seen much of him this season, but I saw him a lot last year. He's such an excellent skater that has no problem jumping up. Anaheim fans should be excited.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Montours numbers have trounced vatanens at the ahl level and vats didn't become defensively responsible till later on. Writing off montours progression already is a little premature no?

Trounced? We should wait until Mountour plays a full season in the AHL to say this. Vatanen had 15 goals and 52 points in 70 AHL games, odds are Montour will cool off to below PPG.

Also the myth that Vatanen has ever been below average defensively is just that. It took him time to adjust to the NHL game and he's definitely improved, but he's always had good battle and ability to move the puck out. From what I've seen of the two, Vats was easily the better defensive player at the same age.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
Trounced? We should wait until Mountour plays a full season in the AHL to say this. Vatanen had 15 goals and 52 points in 70 AHL games, odds are Montour will cool off to below PPG.

Also the myth that Vatanen has ever been below average defensively is just that. It took him time to adjust to the NHL game and he's definitely improved, but he's always had good battle and ability to move the puck out. From what I've seen of the two, Vats was easily the better defensive player at the same age.

From my viewings of Montour, I have to say that his defense is fine. I expected him to be poor defensively, or to take chances offensively but I haven't found that to be the case. He likes to jump up into the play, acting like a fourth forward, but he's smart about when and where to do so. I believe he did play forward at times in the USHL.

He likes to keep his head up, looking for passing lanes and shooting options. Reminds me of Karlsson in that regard to shooting for tip ins.

The Ducks must have big plans for him to draft him where they did as a 20 year old. A full year in the AHL would be what's best for his development. AHL rookie of the month for November though.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
From my viewings of Montour, I have to say that his defense is fine. I expected him to be poor defensively, or to take chances offensively but I haven't found that to be the case. He likes to jump up into the play, acting like a fourth forward, but he's smart about when and where to do so. I believe he did play forward at times in the USHL.

He likes to keep his head up, looking for passing lanes and shooting options. Reminds me of Karlsson in that regard to shooting for tip ins.

The Ducks must have big plans for him to draft him where they did as a 20 year old. A full year in the AHL would be what's best for his development. AHL rookie of the month for November though.

Oh definitely. I never meant to say the Montour is an abortion in his own end. Vatanen just has more battle in him and was more polished in the defensive zone.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia

Vatanen's defense at that level wasn't poor, it just wasn't up to what he was going to face at the next level.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

I'm not writing anybody's development off. I'm stating that I don't think it's likely at all that Montour becomes better than Vatanen

I doubt Montour becomes the player Vatanen is for reasons I have already explained. Vatanen played on a worse AHL team and was more advanced defensively then than Montour is right now. Montour has a tendency to get lost at times and take penalties to make up for it. Vatanen's only problem was strength when he first came over. Once that got sorted out he was undeniably a good NHL player. I personally have more question marks about Montour's game than I did about Vatanen's at the time.

I think stating he's going to be better than Vatanen is very optimistic but I appreciate bold predictions.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
I'm not writing anybody's development off. I'm stating that I don't think it's likely at all that Montour becomes better than Vatanen

I doubt Montour becomes the player Vatanen is for reasons I have already explained. Vatanen played on a worse AHL team and was more advanced defensively then than Montour is right now. Montour has a tendency to get lost at times and take penalties to make up for it. Vatanen's only problem was strength when he first came over. Once that got sorted out he was undeniably a good NHL player. I personally have more question marks about Montour's game than I did about Vatanen's at the time.

I think stating he's going to be better than Vatanen is very optimistic but I appreciate bold predictions.

Touche

stonedge

Jan 19, 2011
I think the most remarkable thing with Montour is his percentage of points on total team goals 24/69 = 34.8%

League leader Willy has 34 points on 113 team goals = being involved in scoring on 30.0% of teams goals.

From a rookie defenseman...

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
why not call him up and see what happens.. Ducks have a league worst 56 goals for this year so far and obviously need a spark... Philly did it with Ghost and now their PP is scary, OT is unreal to watch and they are winning games.... and the team is exciting as hell to watch.

Someone needs to catch a flu or something on the blueline so they can call him up and let him do his thing... the team needs a major boost and he could maybe provide it

Beckett

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
why not call him up and see what happens.. Ducks have a league worst 56 goals for this year so far and obviously need a spark... Philly did it with Ghost and now their PP is scary, OT is unreal to watch and they are winning games.... and the team is exciting as hell to watch.

Someone needs to catch a flu or something on the blueline so they can call him up and let him do his thing... the team needs a major boost and he could maybe provide it

Bieksa needs to not exist anymore. Anybody know a guy?

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I'm trying to decide who a good comp for Montour might be.

Kris Letang clone with a little less bite. Size, skills, RH shot, instincts, hair, etc. Watching Montour is like watching Letang's younger brother. He will be a good one.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007

Oh, I absolutely do. And I REALLY like Sami Vatanen. Montour will be another Kris Letang, who I consider to be a better player than Vatanen. The Ducks young D are lethal.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
An update is in order. Montour's numbers (10+38=48 in 56 games) have risen with San Diego's resurgence. I believe SD has 11 regular season games remaining before they begin the AHL playoffs and I wouldn't be surprised to see him finish the season at a PPG pace. He has been electric lately and his self-comparison to Kris Letang is looking spot on right about now.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
I didn't realize his numbers were that high, wow.. And at 21..

They were even higher at the start of the year but obviously isn't easy to maintain that pace as a defenseman. Impressive numbers though, hope we can see him in the NHL full time soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad