RD Brandon Montour (2012 undrafted; 2014, 55th, ANA)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
We warned you hockey world but you were not believing us when a couple of years ago told he will very very likely be a gamer :laugh:

He still can and will grow in many areas. But his hockey sense, speed and agressiveness is already great. Oh and he is developing that nice one timer on the left dot

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Getting a young defender from Anaheim or Nashville is like pure gold. Josh Manson was a 6th rounder and although Montour was a 2nd rounder, he wasn't drafted until his 20 year-old season. Now they are tracking to be top pairing level defenders both with incredibly unique games and both are on pace for over 40 points this year. The trio of Lindholm, Fowler and Vatanen have missed half of Anaheim's games combined this season and the Ducks still sit at 10th in GA. That's absurd depth...and count that they lost Theodore to expansion (and he'll put up absurd numbers once finally given a chance), have Larsson in the AHL who would probably be starting 6 for many NHL clubs, have Pettersson in the AHL, have a guy like Welsinski who is currently destroying the AHL with 15 points in 15 games from the blueline and have Mahura at over a PPG in the WHL. Really unfair!

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Well.. I'm no NHL scout, but this is the first time I have even heard about a league called GOJHL. So that might have something to do with it.
Yeah, I was going to say something similar. The first number for attendance I could find for the Brantford Eagles was 1,087, despite that being a stunning number, I can't imagine that included too many NHL scouts. Montour finished that season 6th in scoring for his team (being a bit younger, to be fair), and the guys ahead of him ended up maxing out as lower tier NCAA role players.

I can't recall quite when he stopped splitting time between hockey and lacrosse, but I don't think it was long before 2012. There are a few things that help understand his insane growth curve.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Getting a young defender from Anaheim or Nashville is like pure gold. Josh Manson was a 6th rounder and although Montour was a 2nd rounder, he wasn't drafted until his 20 year-old season. Now they are tracking to be top pairing level defenders both with incredibly unique games and both are on pace for over 40 points this year. The trio of Lindholm, Fowler and Vatanen have missed half of Anaheim's games combined this season and the Ducks still sit at 10th in GA. That's absurd depth...and count that they lost Theodore to expansion (and he'll put up absurd numbers once finally given a chance), have Larsson in the AHL who would probably be starting 6 for many NHL clubs, have Pettersson in the AHL, have a guy like Welsinski who is currently destroying the AHL with 15 points in 15 games from the blueline and have Mahura at over a PPG in the WHL. Really unfair!

The D has been solid, but there's no doubt the reason our GA is as good as it is right now is because of Gibson. He's playing lights out this season.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The D has been solid, but there's no doubt the reason our GA is as good as it is right now is because of Gibson. He's playing lights out this season.

How has the playing time of Manson and Montour fluctuated since the "big three" have gotten healthier? Looks like Montour is still in the 19 minute range regularly and Manson is still eating up 21+ minutes a night. Figured it would be somewhat challenging to give all 5 of those guys big minutes when everyone is healthy but at the very least you wouldn't need to wear out Lindholm and Fowler at 25+ per night on a regular basis.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
How has the playing time of Manson and Montour fluctuated since the "big three" have gotten healthier? Looks like Montour is still in the 19 minute range regularly and Manson is still eating up 21+ minutes a night. Figured it would be somewhat challenging to give all 5 of those guys big minutes when everyone is healthy but at the very least you wouldn't need to wear out Lindholm and Fowler at 25+ per night on a regular basis.

I think the net effect will be a slight decrease to Montour's ice time, which is a shame, really.

The problem is handedness - Montour, while dynamic offensively, is not as defensively sound as Manson, and is probably a little less than Vatanen.

That, and Carlyle's old-fashioned "1 shutdown pair, 1 skating pair" technique will all but guarantee that Lindholm-Manson will continue to munch minutes, and that he will trust Fowler-Vatanen to pick up where they left off last year. That leaves Montour on the bottom pairing with Beauchemin or Bieksa, which is not an optimal situation.

If I'm Montour, I would hope that last night gets the gears turning in RC's head. Fowler - Montour was our best pairing.

Reactions: Dmang714

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
12 points in 20 games, scored in shootout tonight and had an awesome assist to Perry for his goal. Made some huge defensive plays as well.

Man, the play he had vs SJ when he whiffed on that one-timer and still managed to salvage and poke it to Perry (I think?) from his stomach? Incredile.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I think my favorite thing about the Ducks right now is they have Vatanen on the 3rd pairing while Grant and Wagner are penciled in as their top 6 centers.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
how did no one notice this kid in 2012?

I remember reading that he didnt even start taking hockey seriously until he was like 18. It was his second sport.

Pretty crazy.

I think my favorite thing about the Ducks right now is they have Vatanen on the 3rd pairing while Grant and Wagner are penciled in as their top 6 centers.

This season is going to be the season of "what if".
Our defense is legit. Gibson has been the best he has ever been.
Our offense is on hospice.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Montour is unbelievable, his defensive play has gotten better and safe to say his offensive game has translated to the NHL (so far at least) pretty damn well. One of the sharpest development curves I can remember in a Ducks young player, and to think one of him and Vatanen are going to be on the 3rd pairing if everyone stays healthy.

Can't wait to see him play more, such an exciting player to watch.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
I remember reading that he didnt even start taking hockey seriously until he was like 18. It was his second sport.

Pretty crazy.

This season is going to be the season of "what if".
Our defense is legit. Gibson has been the best he has ever been.
Our offense is on hospice.

Has Rakell been converted permanently to wing now?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Well.. I'm no NHL scout, but this is the first time I have even heard about a league called GOJHL. So that might have something to do with it.

It's a Jr B loop that is mostly known for being a development league for the OHL and various JR A leagues, although some of the top teams probably stack up against an average or better Junior A club. There was a player out of that league (Daultan Leveille) drafted 29th overall by Atlanta in 2008 and I remember hearing that scouts were filling those rinks to see him as the season wore on. I'm sure you see the odd NHL scout keeping tabs on that loop just in case, but surely more NCAA and OHL guys.

Reactions: Murzu

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
how did no one notice this kid in 2012?

Because guys develop at different paces.
How’d some of the greatest of all time drop to late rounds?

Same thing. It’s really hard to tell how good an 18 year old will be. Even with most first overalls.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Because guys develop at different paces.
How’d some of the greatest of all time drop to late rounds?

Same thing. It’s really hard to tell how good an 18 year old will be. Even with most first overalls.
Montour was more that he was legitimately not playing in a stream of hockey that feeds the NHL until after his first year of draft eligibility, he would have walked on to plenty of major junior or NCAA programs if he wanted to at a younger age

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad