RD Brandon Montour (2012 undrafted; 2014, 55th, ANA)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This guy doesn't play like anyone else that I've seen. If he becomes an offensive catalyst and teams have a hard time containing him he may bring a new evolution to the position. He really free wheels out there and the forwards feed him on the rush then hold back. Is it his lacrosse mentality? If so i'd like to see more lacrosse players convert to hockey. There's a new dimension here that's hard to describe.

I wasn't sure it would translate well at the NHL level but so far so good. He's definitely very inventive.

Oct 18, 2011
This guy honestly believes he's the best player on the ice, one of the key adjustments was putting him with Lindholm their mobility helped alot vs McDavid.

Not trying to get too hype on him but his improvement from his first nhl game to now has been significant

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Not trying to get too hype on him but his improvement from his first nhl game to now has been significant

And that just continues to be what he does. It proabably reaches back even further, but coming from dominating the USHL going to the NCAA and quickly dominating there, then moving from the NCAA to the AHL and quickly dominating on that level, and now moving from the AHL to the NHL and... well, I wouldn't call it dominating just yet, but being a damn useful player in one of the toughest positions this quickly... it sure is mightily impressive.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Total stud. I remember the rookie camp that I went to at Anaheim Ice a month after the Ducks drafted this kid, I knew right away he was going to be a player in this league. The skill and the decision making is up there with the best D prospects

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
This guys ceiling is high. Last year I came to the board because I hadn't had a chance to catch Montour in action and asked for a comparison. One helpful poster said his ceiling is around Shattenkirk. I thought holy that's pretty high praise. Now that I've seen him around ten or so times I can see him getting to that calibre of offence.

reillysmith38

Dec 22, 2013
Remember watching this kid at UMass. He outclassed everyone out there.

Glad to hear he's doing well. Fantastic skating ability and hands.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
And that just continues to be what he does. It proabably reaches back even further, but coming from dominating the USHL going to the NCAA and quickly dominating there, then moving from the NCAA to the AHL and quickly dominating on that level, and now moving from the AHL to the NHL and... well, I wouldn't call it dominating just yet, but being a damn useful player in one of the toughest positions this quickly... it sure is mightily impressive.

That's very true. And it's not just his physical tools, it's his cognitive skills that are adapting to speed and situations so quickly. With a mind like that to even surpass his physical gifts, I'm not so sure he won't be a brilliant long term guy to pair with Lindholm.

EdwardTK

Jul 3, 2014
Montour is so freaking good, another great game for him, 61.29CF%, 0+1.

He is so calm with the puck.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
I don't know how the announcers pinned that first goal against on him last night. He rushed the puck up ice and was the only guy in pursuit when the goal was scored. I know a defender holds the blue line but where were the other four skaters? The team knows well enough by now he's a puck carrier. Where was the support. Carlyle smart and left him right on the ice. Love this kids confidence and the confidence the players and coaching staff has in him. Imagine sliding through two drafts and being picked second round on the third year of eligibility. Wonder if he was in attendance

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
I don't know how the announcers pinned that first goal against on him last night. He rushed the puck up ice and was the only guy in pursuit when the goal was scored. I know a defender holds the blue line but where were the other four skaters? The team knows well enough by now he's a puck carrier. Where was the support. Carlyle smart and left him right on the ice. Love this kids confidence and the confidence the players and coaching staff has in him. Imagine sliding through two drafts and being picked second round on the third year of eligibility. Wonder if he was in attendance

Yeah it was definitely not Montour's fault. Either Lindholm or Cogliano should have fallen back rather than both committing to the puck carrier. It seemed that Cogliano was covering for Montour so I think it should have been him.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah it was definitely not Montour's fault. Either Lindholm or Cogliano should have fallen back rather than both committing to the puck carrier. It seemed that Cogliano was covering for Montour so I think it should have been him.

After the goal cogliano slams his stick on the boards... pretty sure he knew he was the one that messed up on it

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
His last two goals just show his pure skill. He will be a very good one! Damn, he is already a very good one. I still hope he will be paired with Hampus down the road.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He may be 1 of the more underrated exciting players in the league... hes all over the place super exciting to watch.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
Amazing progression he has had, how many players could say they were playing junior hockey, NCAA and AHL all in the same season - AND excelling at all levels?

Pretty incredible.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I think an unappreciated part of his game is he is really chippy. If you slash him you'll get it right back, he loves body contact as well. Sami Vatanen is similar (loves to throw the body even though small) but I think Montour has a more chippy/attitude part of his game.

Here's his goal from last night.

Reactions: Cambodian Fouler

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
I think an unappreciated part of his game is he is really chippy. If you slash him you'll get it right back, he loves body contact as well. Sami Vatanen is similar (loves to throw the body even though small) but I think Montour has a more chippy/attitude part of his game.

I've worked with a bunch of his family members, a bunch of hard core iron workers from the Six Nations. When i first saw him play i thought to myself yea this guy is related to my buddy Billy Montour hes a nasty piece of business.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Another goal and assist through 2 periods, leads the Anaheim Ducks in scoring.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
12 points in 20 games, scored in shootout tonight and had an awesome assist to Perry for his goal. Made some huge defensive plays as well.

Reactions: Masch78

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad