RD Brandon Montour (2012 undrafted; 2014, 55th, ANA)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Haven't been following closely, but is he an actual trade candidate or a pipe dream? The ducks defense is pretty deep as is so I'm not to sure.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Haven't been following closely, but is he an actual trade candidate or a pipe dream? The ducks defense is pretty deep as is so I'm not to sure.

I honestly don't know. Id think he could potentially be a trade candidate just due to the depth on Ducks blueline and all signed for multiple years still.

Id imagine some die hard Ducks fans would better know this answer though

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
I honestly don't know. Id think he could potentially be a trade candidate just due to the depth on Ducks blueline and all signed for multiple years still.

Yeah I'm sure there would be a decent market for him. I'd like him on the Leafs, not sure what the Ducks would want right now considering their cap situation.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Has nothing to do with the cap. It's more about space. They are REALLY deep. With Larsson and Theodore also having good showings, and Vatanen+Fowler playing well (especially Fowler), might be hard for Montour to carve out an influential role.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Yeah I'm sure there would be a decent market for him. I'd like him on the Leafs, not sure what the Ducks would want right now considering their cap situation.

Top 6 scoring that's contributing now seems like the obvious need, if that wasn't in the form of a guy on a sub $1M deal then it would likely have to be combined with a cap dump going the other way, or retaining on that forward, or both

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013

I assume one of Larsson/Theo/Montour is available if not Vatanen for young forward help. Would be a tough decision picking which one to trade though. Personally I'd want to hold on to Montour, his offensive potential is just ridiculous.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I assume one of Larsson/Theo/Montour is available if not Vatanen for young forward help. Would be a tough decision picking which one to trade though. Personally I'd want to hold on to Montour, his offensive potential is just ridiculous.

Forgot what the opinion was, but what about JVR and us retaining 50%? He's in his prime, fits into your top 6 and fits into your cup window.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Forgot what the opinion was, but what about JVR and us retaining 50%? He's in his prime, fits into your top 6 and fits into your cup window.

would probably still have to take a contract back, JVR @ 50% with no roster player coming back is still $2,125,000 of additional cap to Anaheim

Something more like JVR @$1M retained for Stoner+Montour - leaves Anaheim in the same cap position

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
will Montour have to go through waivers next season if Ducks have no room again and he needs to start in the AHL?

Im sure its a simple search online but laziness has gotten to me haha

Next season the blue line is almost exactly the same as this year for contracts... except for Holzer I believe. So unless Murray can pull some magic, there just doesn't seem to be any room for a while

Beckett

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Montour will get some NHL burn this season somehow. Barring some kind of crazy change, the Ducks wont have both Fowler and Vats next season. It really makes a lot of sense to trade Vatanen and see what Montour can do with his PP and 3rd pairing minutes. That 4+ million a year saved/allocated to a top 6 forward would be more useful to the team IMO.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I'd be all for trading Vatanen after the season. (or even at the trade deadline if he can't pull out of this funk he's in) Montour's got some serious offensive potential.

For the future, ideally (granted that everybody grows according to potential):

Lindholm-Manson
Theodore-Montour
Larsson-?

Need a good bottom-pairing righty. I'd rather keep Vatanen over Bieksa (Vatanen would slide in with Theo or Larsson and Montour would take the other guy) but moving Bieksa is just about impossible and Vatanen is probably the most replaceable asset in our system. (with Montour coming up) If we can keep Fowler, then great, but that might push Larsson or Theodore out the doorway (depending on who improves the most) unless one of them can adapt to playing the right side.

Wouldn't mind keeping Stoner as well around if his next contract doesn't carry a massive price tag. He should still be a serviceable #6-7 for the next few years.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I`m a bit worried about that Theodore-Montour pair defensively, Elf.
They need to be the offensive driving forces on their pairings and they are way too soft.
Larsson should get stronger then maybe he`d be a good pairing for Theo (both of them are lefties but can play right side too, would be a dynamic pair nonetheless)
For Montour we`d need someone like Stoner for sure.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I'd be all for trading Vatanen after the season. (or even at the trade deadline if he can't pull out of this funk he's in) Montour's got some serious offensive potential.

For the future, ideally (granted that everybody grows according to potential):

Lindholm-Manson
Theodore-Montour
Larsson-?

Need a good bottom-pairing righty. I'd rather keep Vatanen over Bieksa (Vatanen would slide in with Theo or Larsson and Montour would take the other guy) but moving Bieksa is just about impossible and Vatanen is probably the most replaceable asset in our system. (with Montour coming up) If we can keep Fowler, then great, but that might push Larsson or Theodore out the doorway (depending on who improves the most) unless one of them can adapt to playing the right side.

Wouldn't mind keeping Stoner as well around if his next contract doesn't carry a massive price tag. He should still be a serviceable #6-7 for the next few years.

If we're talking a bit down the line and not necessarily next year -

Lindholm - Theodore
Fowler - Manson
Larsson - Montour

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I`m a bit worried about that Theodore-Montour pair defensively, Elf.
They need to be the offensive driving forces on their pairings and they are way too soft.
Larsson should get stronger then maybe he`d be a good pairing for Theo (both of them are lefties but can play right side too, would be a dynamic pair nonetheless)
For Montour we`d need someone like Stoner for sure.
I put the two together for chemistry's sake considering they often played together in SD. Also, Theodore projects as more of a TWD going forward than a completely offensive-minded defenseman. I would be intensely against a Theo-Montour pairing right now (given that both aren't great defensively right now) but Theodore at the very least should be solid in that regard if he grows according to plan, and from what I hear, Montour is improving his D-zone play as well. Sure, they'd probably have to be sheltered a bit defensively, but Lindholm-Manson should be able to handle the big minutes in their own end when it comes to that regard, and then Larsson and maybe Stoner or a FA signing are more evenly split.

Wouldn't be opposed to a Lindholm-Montour pairing as well as a Stoner-Montour pairing (if Stoner stays around, that is) If Fowler stays, him and Manson can keep that pairing together that's worked well this year, and Larsson and Theodore can man the bottom pairing if one of them settles comfortably into the right side at the NHL level. That's a solid 3 pairings right there. If the standouts in our forward core that have taken big steps forward this year (a la Steel, Jones, and even Ritchie) continue to play well, we could stay very competitive even as Getzlaf, Perry, and Kesler hit their declines, though cap space will certainly be an issue, and I'm not very confident in Randy Carlyle being the head of our ship going forward.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
How does this guy get so many shots? Is he a blaster from the blueline? Does he pinch in a lot? Does the rest of the team just feed him and he lets loose? I just don't understand. I haven't seen him play

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Excellent prospect like this guys game wish we had of drafted him but o well Anahiem seems to be the only team that makes bad trades with Benning so theres hope we can get him :laugh:

Oct 18, 2011
How does this guy get so many shots? Is he a blaster from the blueline? Does he pinch in a lot? Does the rest of the team just feed him and he lets loose? I just don't understand. I haven't seen him play

He just drives offense, i dont understand why he hasnt been called up yet. Then again the ducks org is devoted to Bieksa, instead of finding out what they have.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
He just drives offense, i dont understand why he hasnt been called up yet. Then again the ducks org is devoted to Bieksa, instead of finding out what they have.

He hasn't been called up because there's no space. Bieksa is sadly a much better defender than Montour right now.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
IMO played a safe game last night. Had 2 pims. and a shot on net and some PP time. You can see the offense in his game BIG TIME. Every time the puck was in Calgary's zone, you can see him waiting eagerly to get the puck on his stick or jump up for a back door pass. Almost seemed like he forced himself to stay back though and respect the NHL speed and not get caught. Looks like a hawk on the blueline circling and waiting for the puck haha

Played a smart safe game... has so much natural offense its sick. Cant wait to see him get more chances in the NHL and see what he does.

Really wouldn't doubt if he gets a PP goal or assist tonight VS Vancouver. Extremely smart player that skates real well

Going to be a special player

“I thought he did fine,†Carlyle said. “He didn’t look like he was intimidated by anything out there. He went out and played his game and that’s good for a young player to feel confident. I saw he was smiling and having a good time. That’s great to see.â€

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/montour-739817-carlyle-going.html

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad