Speculation: Raymond Seider Contract Speculation

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Goalies are only as good as the defense and system in front of them.

Husso was good before he came here. Sucks here.
Ned was good before he came here. Sucked here. Left. Got good again.

I don't expect much of literally any goalie that comes here until we fix the abomination that is our blue line.
Husso was good for 20 games here. Then he sucked as the games kept piling on.

Also... the previous season with the Blues he played his first 20 games over the span of 4 months. Great numbers. Then he played his next 20 games in the span of 2 months. League average. Husso doesn't have starter stamina. Ned also doesn't have starter stamina.

Last edited:
Reactions: cvaicunas

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Tell me why Talbot should be included here?

Compare the team he played behind in LA and the team he'll play behind in Detroit. LA is much better defensively than Detroit systematically and in terms of personnel.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Gus is better defensively than Ghost.
Talbot is a better goalie than Husso.
Motte is better defensively than Sprong.
Tarasenko is better defensively than Fabbri.

Gus is really not better than Ghost. I'd expect Gus to have roughly the same defensive metrics on Detroit while having worse offensive metrics.
Motte is better than Sprong defensively, sure. But the team possession metrics were shit. Motte's possession metrics are horrendous. We can all appreciate how scrappy and defensive he is while chasing the puck carrier in his own zone all game.
Tarasenko being better defensively than Fabbri? That one is probably about equal.
Talbot is better than Husso is TBD at the moment. The system will play a major part in that, and I don't think that Detroit will be better defensively than last year when the only major difference is a full season of Ed vs a full season of Walman.

Our team defense really, REALLY needed one of the premier RDs to sign with the team. Instead Detroit got bargain bin signings. I'm expecting worse puck movement with higher GA and lower GF output by Detroit as a result.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Gus is really not better than Ghost. I'd expect Gus to have roughly the same defensive metrics on Detroit while having worse offensive metrics.
Motte is better than Sprong defensively, sure. But the team possession metrics were shit. Motte's possession metrics are horrendous. We can all appreciate how scrappy and defensive he is while chasing the puck carrier in his own zone all game.
Tarasenko being better defensively than Fabbri? That one is probably about equal.
Talbot is better than Husso is TBD at the moment. The system will play a major part in that, and I don't think that Detroit will be better defensively than last year when the only major difference is a full season of Ed vs a full season of Walman.

Our team defense really, REALLY needed one of the premier RDs to sign with the team. Instead Detroit got bargain bin signings. I'm expecting worse puck movement with higher GA and lower GF output by Detroit as a result.
You are dramatically underselling how bad Ghost is in non-PP situations.

Given your current pic I'm not sure how much stock I'd put in your expectations...

Reactions: Alex Thrasher

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
You are dramatically underselling how bad Ghost is in non-PP situations.

Given your current pic I'm not sure how much stock I'd put in your expectations...

No, I'm not. I'm just trying to say that Gustafsson is every bit as bad in 5v5 when not being absolutely sheltered. There's a reason the guy bounces around so much.

You're not going to get a real upgrade on Ghost in free agency for less money than we paid Ghost.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Compare the team he played behind in LA and the team he'll play behind in Detroit. LA is much better defensively than Detroit systematically and in terms of personnel.
Look at this entire body of work over the last 3 seasons. Easily an upgrade over anything else we have in net.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
The thing is, are they worth $8M a year though?
Seider has been consistent, but we need him to take steps offensively and add more points as well as being even stronger defensively. I think in Seider's case it would make sense to offer the long term deal.

In Raymond's case he has been trending up, but defensively still ways to go and should one better season after his good rookie year and sophomore slump be enough in his position to demand such money and for Detroit to give that money? It's a bigger risk than with Seider I think, and would rather see him been given 3-year deal than 8 at the moment. And if Yzerman doesn't want to commit to 8, then it needs to be like 5-6 which is a risk on both ends. Raymond could not live up to deal or Detroit could end up losing him earlier if he wants to test market elsewhere.
What in tarnation. Raymond is very good defensively. Are you thinking of someone else?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Motte is better than Sprong defensively, sure. But the team possession metrics were shit. Motte's possession metrics are horrendous.

Don't look on those stats. And stop talking about it. They won't tell a shit about guys who start only from Dzone.

It's the most worthless data shit about advanced stats we currently have.

For example, if 1st PK players, in every NHL team, have worse stats than 2nd unit players, what does it tell for you?

If it does not tell anything, we don't have anything to discuss.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
So if you think the goaltending has been upgraded, why wouldn't you think the GA would improve? We didn't get worse elsewhere to counteract the goaltending improvement.

I mean Holl and Petry are still here and a year older, which could be bad for us if Ed and Aljo don't play as well as we hope.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
8x8
8x8

Team is winning as early as the next season with such contracts.

I’m sure players want higher AAV on a longer deal or a shorter term to cash in after the next few seasons.

I think these contracts are definitely signed before training camp though.

They will be the big announcements to be made leading up to camp.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
So if you think the goaltending has been upgraded, why wouldn't you think the GA would improve? We didn't get worse elsewhere to counteract the goaltending improvement.

Because the rest of the roster has been downgraded. Talbot being only an average-ish goaltender will see lower stats from playing in front of a bad defense. He may be better than Husso, but that's only one part of the equation.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Because the rest of the roster has been downgraded. Talbot being only an average-ish goaltender will see lower stats from playing in front of a bad defense. He may be better than Husso, but that's only one part of the equation.

Talbot still has better stats behind bad defence, than any other Red Wings goalie.

So he is an upgrade.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Not defensively.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
How, exactly? Seems like a wash at worst to me, with the potential to be much better depending on certain players' continued development.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
How, exactly? Seems like a wash at worst to me, with the potential to be much better depending on certain players' continued development.

I don't think downgraded, but I definitely don't think we upgraded at all. Talbot is really the only real difference, and if he isn't LA good, we are in trouble.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I don't think downgraded, but I definitely don't think we upgraded at all. Talbot is really the only real difference, and if he isn't LA good, we are in trouble.
That's my point though. If the rest of the team stayed the same but the goaltending improved, then it's reasonable to expect fewer goals against. And it's not just Talbot, it's the Talbot/Lyon tandem which is a much better one than last year. Talbot is a definite upgrade on Reimer, and Lyon at <40 games should be an upgrade over Lyon at >40 games, since his performance trailed off quite a bit once he got overworked.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
No, I'm not. I'm just trying to say that Gustafsson is every bit as bad in 5v5 when not being absolutely sheltered. There's a reason the guy bounces around so much.

You're not going to get a real upgrade on Ghost in free agency for less money than we paid Ghost.

Gus is significantly better than Ghost defensively. If you're setting the bar that low, you're in for a pleasant surprise. He isn't anywhere close as good on PP, but that just means Mo gets to be on PP1.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Tarasenko is a definitive upgrade. Edvinsson for a full year is an upgrade.

Yah, and Kane for full year is and upgrade, healthy Larkin is an upgrade, Raymond taking a next step for full year is an upgrade. Seider taking a step is an upgrade. Talbot is an upgrade, Gustafsson is upgrade defensively, Motte is an upgrade on PK.

Everything cumulates for a better team, which can win more close games.

Like every of those listed 9 upgrades will give us 0,5 extra points, we'll end up to 95-96 points and that's pure realism.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
Jarvis signed 8x8, figure Raymond will be signed in a few days or so to almost the exact same deal.
I'll take it.

Yah, and Kane for full year is and upgrade, healthy Larkin is an upgrade, Raymond taking a next step for full year is an upgrade. Seider taking a step is an upgrade. Talbot is an upgrade, Gustafsson is upgrade defensively, Motte is an upgrade on PK.

Everything cumulates for a better team, which can win more close games.

Like every of those listed 9 upgrades will give us 0,5 extra points, we'll end up to 95-96 points and that's pure realism.

Kane I'm not going to put on that list myself. Only because we still don't know how well his hip will hold up. If his hip doesn't cause him pain all year and he has a full offseason workout, training camp, and pre season he could be a massive boost to the team this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad