Speculation: Raymond Seider Contract Speculation

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Ya so it was changed to a 15 year 100 million dollar deal. The last 2 years of the initial deal were going to pay him a total of 1.1 million. And they removed 2 million and 2 years from the contract. So they were told no scaled it back just enough to push it through.

Deferring a million/season is not even remotely the same as signing a a 28 year old to massively front loading 17 year contract that they both clearly had no intention of playing out till the end.

the point is it was declined entirely because the league felt that they pushed it too far and there's nothing stopping that from happening again with something else

and the Devils got a pretty hefty punishment out of that in addition to having to change the contract, they lost a 1st round pick, a 3rd round pick, and were fined $3 million(and even after he retired to go to Russia and the punishment was lessened they still ended up picking 30th instead of 11th,losing a 3rd round pick, and being fined $1.5 million)

This board on November 30th:

"Should we be worried yet, we're two months into the season and they're not signed?"

"Stevie has until December 1st, let the man cook. This is part of the process."

"it's been 2 years since Seider and Raymond went to the SHL should we start to get a little concerned?"

"the Wings still own their rights so there's really no need to worry at all, also Yzerman is a genius and was able to use the cap savings to trade for Trouba and give him the raise he wanted"

:sarcasm:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Because that’s insane and essentially saying “please NHL, reject these contracts.” We know you let Jarvis go through… but we’re rubbing your nose in it, just like all the teams did with the back diving deals.

Plus, if they’re doing that… why wouldn’t they take a high dollar (like 2 or 3x6.5)bridge and then just get a full UFA 8 year deal without this deferred nonsense.

I don't know it's insane... it's just different.

And these are no retiremenet contracts, the guys will be there getting extensions after these extensions.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
the point is it was declined entirely because the league felt that they pushed it too far and there's nothing stopping that from happening again with something else

and the Devils got a pretty hefty punishment out of that in addition to having to change the contract, they lost a 1st round pick, a 3rd round pick, and were fined $3 million(and even after he retired to go to Russia and the punishment was lessened they still ended up picking 30th instead of 11th,losing a 3rd round pick, and being fined $1.5 million)

"it's been 2 years since Seider and Raymond went to the SHL should we start to get a little concerned?"

"the Wings still own their rights so there's really no need to worry at all, also Yzerman is a genius and was able to use the cap savings to trade for Trouba and give him the raise he wanted"

:sarcasm:

The point is that was after dozens of similar contracts and it got way out of hand. 1m deferred per year is not outside the spirit of the rule or skirting the rules. Half the contract is.

It would get denied if it was a shohei ohtani type deferral for sure. But not 1m/year

Also it was not that hefty. 1.5 mil is nothing for a billionaire. And the original loss of the first round pick was significant, but getting back the 30th overall lessened the punishment imo. So ya it sucked they didn't get the 11th pick, but they still got a first

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
The point is that was after dozens of similar contracts and it got way out of hand. 1m deferred per year is not outside the spirit of the rule or skirting the rules. Half the contract is.

It would get denied if it was a shohei ohtani type deferral for sure. But not 1m/year

Also it was not that hefty. 1.5 mil is nothing for a billionaire. And the original loss of the first round pick was significant, but getting back the 30th overall lessened the punishment imo. So ya it sucked they didn't get the 11th pick, but they still got a first

or maybe this time they don't want to wait for it to get quite so out of hand and they slap it down earlier with a lesser punishment attached

I don't think that would be enough to get them to stop it either but the point here is that the league has the power to basically stop this sort of thing whenever they want

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
or maybe this time they don't want to wait for it to get quite so out of hand and they slap it down earlier with a lesser punishment attached

I don't think that would be enough to get them to stop it either but the point here is that the league has the power to basically stop this sort of thing whenever they want

I think you are really reaching so you can feel right. That is fine. You do you.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I think you are really reaching so you can feel right. That is fine. You do you.

we're in the weeds at this point on what the league would or wouldn't do but i'd just like you to remind you that this is the post I originally responded to:

If it is not against the rules they cannot reject it. Like they can't accept Jarvis contract and then be like no. Only 1 deferred contract allowed

if you think what i'm saying is reaching in that context then i'm just gonna have to disagree I suppose because as far as I see it you were just flat out factually wrong

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
we're in the weeds at this point on what the league would or wouldn't do but i'd just like you to remind you that this is the post I originally responded to:

if you think what i'm saying is reaching in that context then i'm just gonna have to disagree I suppose because as far as I see it you were just flat out factually wrong

Its not against the rules. Unless it's extremely obvious and clear cap circumvention the league can't do anything about it. Remember how many teams did it before NJ got fined and still they were allowed to do basically the same contract just 15 instead of 17 years.

They had to wait until the next CBA to close the loophole.

This is no different despite what you think. If they deferred a million cap hit there's no consequence. If they do a shohei ohtani deal the league will shut it down. That's a vast difference between the two and that's what you're not grasping.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
if the " far away" rumours are true i think raymonds camp is asking for a 3 x 7millish or 5 yr deal with an AAV of 7.5-8 mil.

guessin seiders unofficially signed n waiting on raymond to announce both contracts together.

think we might b headin into a nylander type situation where raymond wont be signed before camp and when he does get signed ill be shocked if its not a bridge deal.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Its not against the rules. Unless it's extremely obvious and clear cap circumvention the league can't do anything about it. Remember how many teams did it before NJ got fined and still they were allowed to do basically the same contract just 15 instead of 17 years.

They had to wait until the next CBA to close the loophole.

This is no different despite what you think. If they deferred a million cap hit there's no consequence. If they do a shohei ohtani deal the league will shut it down. That's a vast difference between the two and that's what you're not grasping.

Time to use these loopholes is NOW.

They could close it on next CBA negotiations, so let's use it now for two money-heavy contracts.

It's an advantage we can have, and most of others won't, for the next 8 (?) years.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
Time to use these loopholes is NOW.

They could close it on next CBA negotiations, so let's use it now for two money-heavy contracts.

It's an advantage we can have, and most of others won't, for the next 8 (?) years.
Chris Ilitch isn’t spending $20 million to save 500k a year in cap.

Like, this isn’t a cheat code. Large pots of deferred money is a terrible idea even if Chris I would do it.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Chris Ilitch isn’t spending $20 million to save 500k a year in cap.

Like, this isn’t a cheat code. Large pots of deferred money is a terrible idea even if Chris I would do it.

Don't believe a second for this bullshit. It's same money paid, just at different time. Players could not be interested about, but owners could care less.

It's just better for the owner side that they can pay on the years, when the revenues could be much higher, like 40-50%. After 9 years, we are on that kind of situation.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Raymond is hanging out with Seider in Mannheim. Hopefully they are talking about how great it would be to sign contracts pretty soon.
I could see them hanging out together to film some quasi-cringe "Guess what? We both signed!" social media video.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
I am horrible at these screen grabs and links but Mo is getting fitting for some nice suits. He's spending that sign in bonus. He also has a photo with he, his gf and Raymond. What does it mean? Heck, if I know. LOL (I am not worried about either being signed.)

1725371840210.png

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I am horrible at these screen grabs and links but Mo is getting fitting for some nice suits. He's spending that sign in bonus. He also has a photo with he, his gf and Raymond. What does it mean? Heck, if I know. LOL (I am not worried about either being signed.)

View attachment 904721

Where and when this picture was taken? I know Raymond just posted it on Instagram. Hope this picture was taken in Detroit before meeting with Yzerman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad