Speculation: Raymond Seider Contract Speculation

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Jarvis signed 8x8, figure Raymond will be signed in a few days or so to almost the exact same deal.

Jarvis signed with some weird deferred payment to artificially lower his cap hit 😒

The NHL should ignore the fact that some of the money is deferred and just straight up average out the total cap hit over 8 years. Or refuse the contract saying the deferments go past the 8 years and so it doesn't fit with the CBA.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Jarvis signed with some weird deferred payment to artificially lower his cap hit 😒

The NHL should ignore the fact that some of the money is deferred and just straight up average out the total cap hit over 8 years. Or refuse the contract saying the deferments go past the 8 years and so it doesn't fit with the CBA.
Ah yeah, posted my comment right as I got the Bleacher Report notification (they didn't mention the deferred payment).

I think that's something the league looks at for the next CBA, along with LTIR loophole.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Jarvis signed 8x8, figure Raymond will be signed in a few days or so to almost the exact same deal.
We'll see if the league approves the deal , rumor is about $30M of the $64Mish are signing bonuses with one pushed off to a 9th year to lower the average...so 9 years of signing bonuses....inventive, but not sure it will fly as it is.

But yes, now that a bar has been set, it should be easier to get Raymond signed.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

There are entire sections in the CBA discussing deferred salaries and/or bonuses.
It's just that no one has done it before.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Yeah I don't see it, Raymond can get another payday even with signing a 7-8 year deal. It makes sense for Matthews not to sign a 8 year because he would be 34 or so when it's done. Now he can him them up at 30 while still scoring 60 goals a year probably.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
There are entire sections in the CBA discussing deferred salaries and/or bonuses.
It's just that no one has done it before.
If it's legal that's a game changer. Taking a page from the shohei ohtani playbook. I'd be down for giving Raymond and seider deferred payment contracts. Pay them whatever they want but keep the cap hit down

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
We'll see if the league approves the deal , rumor is about $30M of the $64Mish are signing bonuses with one pushed off to a 9th year to lower the average...so 9 years of signing bonuses....inventive, but not sure it will fly as it is.

But yes, now that a bar has been set, it should be easier to get Raymond signed.
Only $3.2M deferred for annual $400M cap savings per year, and the contract was already approved by the league. It's being registered with the league today.

This look a lot like front loading the salary. League allowed it until it got out of hand. We'll eventually see a GM defer a significant amount of money, and the league will ban it or limit the amount.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Only $3.2M deferred for annual $400M cap savings per year, and the contract was already approved by the league. It's being registered with the league today.

This look a lot like front loading the salary. League allowed it until it got out of hand. We'll eventually see a GM defer a significant amount of money, and the league will ban it or limit the amount.
Yeah, once they published the full details, it looked OK to me, most players want their money ASAP lol.

The key thing is Jarvis signed and there is now a bar set. I think Jarvis is a center, so the small difference in production may not matter.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Well that sells me, @Bench is now confirmed as Osgood's burner account

shhhhh_keep_it_down_walking_dead.gif

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, once they published the full details, it looked OK to me, most players want their money ASAP lol.

The key thing is Jarvis signed and there is now a bar set. I think Jarvis is a center, so the small difference in production may not matter.
Jarvis is a winger, finished the last half of last season playing with Aho at center. This is gonna be the closest comparable they get for Raymonds contract. Jarvis has really good analytics but plays on a team where everyone does. Raymond is the better player but Jarvis is really good

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
so if jarvis 8x8 roughly speaking, prolly puts raymond at 8X8.2-8.3 if they go 8 yr route

Okay, let's be real.

Jarvis is paid 7.9M per year, with 7.42M caphit. That will cut 480k per year of from the cap number.

That deferred money is 3.84M in total, which is paid on 9th year, without any caphit.

So why not going extreme now with both Seider and Raymond with this example contract?

Let's say you pay 8 years x 8.5M for both. Defer 10M final bonus for the 9th year.

8 x 8.5M = Total 68.0 Million

You defer 10M.

--> The caphit would be 58.0M total per 8 years = 7.25M.

Caphit would be 1.25M less than real money paid. For 2 guys. That's 2.5M savings vs cap.

Like... why not? This should be a no-brainer model to do long-term contracts.

2x 7.25M = 14.5M added to our 17.6M cap space.

You sign Berggren for 1.1M and stil have 2.0M in space, which would be cumulating towards deadline, and you can make the trade for a Top4 defenceman.

Last edited:
Reactions: Murmansk16A

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
Jarvis is paid 7.9M per year, with 7.42M caphit. That will cut 480k per year of from the cap number.

That deferred money is 3.84M in total, which is paid on 9th year, without any caphit.

So why not going extreme now with both Seider and Raymond with this example contract?

Let's say you pay 8 years x 8.5M for both. Defer 10M final bonus for the 9th year.

8 x 8.5M = Total 68.8 Million

You defer 10M.

--> The caphit would be 58.0M total per 8 years = 7.25M.

Caphit would be 1.25M less than real money paid. For 2 guys. That's 2.5M savings vs cap.

Like... why not? This should be a no-brainer model to do long-term contracts.

2x 7.25M = 14.5M added to our 17.6M cap space.

You sign Berggren for 1.1M and stil have 2.0M in space, which would be cumulating towards deadline, and you can make the trade for a Top4 defenceman.

Because that’s insane and essentially saying “please NHL, reject these contracts.” We know you let Jarvis go through… but we’re rubbing your nose in it, just like all the teams did with the back diving deals.

Plus, if they’re doing that… why wouldn’t they take a high dollar (like 2 or 3x6.5)bridge and then just get a full UFA 8 year deal without this deferred nonsense.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
Should I be worried these guys aren't signed yet in September?

You should never worry about anything ever.

Unless .... It's worth worrying about. Then you should always worry about it all the time.

But then again it might not really be worth worrying about so I wouldn't worry about it....

Unless of course....

Because that’s insane and essentially saying “please NHL, reject these contracts.” We know you let Jarvis go through… but we’re rubbing your nose in it, just like all the teams did with the back diving deals.

Plus, if they’re doing that… why wouldn’t they take a high dollar (like 2 or 3x6.5)bridge and then just get a full UFA 8 year deal without this deferred nonsense.

If it is not against the rules they cannot reject it. Like they can't accept Jarvis contract and then be like no. Only 1 deferred contract allowed

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
This board on November 30th:

"Should we be worried yet, we're two months into the season and they're not signed?"

"Stevie has until December 1st, let the man cook. This is part of the process."

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
the league has a pretty wide latitude to decide things are cap circumvention if teams push too far

Ya so it was changed to a 15 year 100 million dollar deal. The last 2 years of the initial deal were going to pay him a total of 1.1 million. And they removed 2 million and 2 years from the contract. So they were told no scaled it back just enough to push it through.

Deferring a million/season is not even remotely the same as signing a a 28 year old to massively front loading 17 year contract that they both clearly had no intention of playing out till the end.

Reactions: Henkka

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad