Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Disco did more with some pretty rancid rosters and severe injuries. Sullivan does less with more but is praised like he did what Disco did with bad rosters.

This is the current reality of this team and it's situation. They'll always blame the players over this coach. Every one is the problem on the roster, not the coach. Unless it's Crosby that finally suffers from Sullivanitis and then and only then does anyone say anything about this team and it's coaching.
I blame Steelers fans myself.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Not sure if it was talked about already but Friedman had a small update on Sids contract.

Friedman thinks Sid will go for a shorter contract as he doesn't want to have a large drop off in his play and then still have term remaining. Friedman was told this past week that Sid doesn't want to leave the team hanging with his cap hit if he retires. Sid is very mindful of the Pens situation and doesn't want to mess up their cap situation in the future.
To be fair, their cap situation doesn't really matter for the next like... Decade. :laugh:

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Feel like Sid is kind of oblivious to the actual state of the team, lol.
Sid's just satisfied with his career, what the organization has achieved, and in acceptance of where they're at. Can hear it in his tone.
He'll give his 100% because he's the Captain, is honorable and loves the game. But is he really gonna be devastated if they miss again? Nah. That ship has sailed.
If that was the case we'd see more frustration from him in interviews throughout the year when things are going poorly.
Mostly he just says "We had our chances" or "there's fine margins between winning and losing". It sounds like Sullivan speaking through him. Losing doesn't bother him like it used to.

Got his 3 Cups and gold medals and is 37. It's human nature to dial it back.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
I highly doubt this. If Dubas did that more of the team would be pissed and it'd be mentioned more. Jake and his comments about free agency etc seemed like he was always gong to test the market just to test the market. I get blokes want to hate Dubas but I don't think Jake and his camp ever intended to stay and the way they allowed negotiations was basically the best indicator for I am going to make it so I test the market.

And so many of those teams moved on from coaches when they needed to.

Meanwhile the Pens....
If anything, Dubas is to be commended for realizing this early enough to move on at the deadline.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Dubas has brought in the kind of pieces for the bottom 6 that he was not doing last year. He had to take some time to actually see the issues and understood the mix due to injuries and some disappointing play from Graves and Jarry shot the playoff hopes. I do think he will move a vet like Eller or try to move maybe Acciari although I think and RH winger for the 4th line with some scoring and grit is fine. the top 3 on left wing will be solid eventually if the new guy from the Jets can become that singer with size and grit who plays with an edge.
DOC Sid Rust
Bunting Geno Rakell
Rutger M Hayes Glass
Lizette Poulin Acciari

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
some disappointing play from Graves and Jarry shot the playoff hopes
1726323974260.png
1726324054137.png

This is what shot the playoff hopes dude, not league average Tristan Jarry lol

Reactions: Darren McCord

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
sorry, Pens after Bunting settled in the offense was much better especially the PP. Jarry was not the goalie to keep the Pens in position into the TDL. Graves was either misused or he just never got Sullivans system. Pens made a nice run but without Graves and Jarry. If they play to what the expectations were, pens are in the playoffs.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Dubas has brought in the kind of pieces for the bottom 6 that he was not doing last year. He had to take some time to actually see the issues and understood the mix due to injuries and some disappointing play from Graves and Jarry shot the playoff hopes. I do think he will move a vet like Eller or try to move maybe Acciari although I think and RH winger for the 4th line with some scoring and grit is fine. the top 3 on left wing will be solid eventually if the new guy from the Jets can become that singer with size and grit who plays with an edge.
DOC Sid Rust
Bunting Geno Rakell
Rutger M Hayes Glass
Lizette Poulin Acciari
At first glance, I thought the M was for Hayes. So I was wondering if Mean Michael Hayes of the Fabulous Free Birds was suddenly going to be our third-line center! :)

For the record, I would not have an issue if Hayes starts out as Malkin's RW. It makes sense on the surface because he has extensive history playing his off-wing, and his defensive chops can mesh well with Malkin. That said, splitting up Bunting and Malkin would be egregious even for Sullivan. If we are keeping the first line intact to begin camp,
and in my opinion we should based on late last season, then we most definitely should keep Bunting on Malkin's line.

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Hayes
McGroarty-Eller-Rakell
Puljujarvi-Lizotte-Puustinen

This is what I would like to see to start the season. Poulin is not waivers exempt, so if he has even a decent camp I would hang onto him as a 13th or 14th forward. That leaves Beauvillier, Acciari and Glass battling the prospects for the final roster spot up front.

I am sure Sullivan has other ideas, and that is frightening.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
At first glance, I thought the M was for Hayes. So I was wondering if Mean Michael Hayes of the Fabulous Free Birds was suddenly going to be our third-line center! :)

For the record, I would not have an issue if Hayes starts out as Malkin's RW. It makes sense on the surface because he has extensive history playing his off-wing, and his defensive chops can mesh well with Malkin. That said, splitting up Bunting and Malkin would be egregious even for Sullivan. If we are keeping the first line intact to begin camp,
and in my opinion we should based on late last season, then we most definitely should keep Bunting on Malkin's line.

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Hayes
McGroarty-Eller-Rakell
Puljujarvi-Lizotte-Puustinen

This is what I would like to see to start the season. Poulin is not waivers exempt, so if he has even a decent camp I would hang onto him as a 13th or 14th forward. That leaves Beauvillier, Acciari and Glass battling the prospects for the final roster spot up front.

I am sure Sullivan has other ideas, and that is frightening.
That second line is probably the slowest in the league…get more speed with Geno lol

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I would never question Crosby's desire to win. But he clearly wants to win in Pittsburgh, and has never been afraid of an uphill battle. This is his team, and this core has been in the trenches with him for two decades.

Some people talk about him going to a team like the Avs as a natural next step if he truly wanted to win, to help an established contender/recent Cup winner win again. Do you think that would be gratifying for him, or the sign of a real winner?

Look at Kevin Durant. He chased and won championships in the manner some people feel Crosby should. He was looked at as a team hopper, and even he considered those wins hollow which is a big reason why he jumped ship after going 2 for 2. A legacy isn't just built on Cup counting, its how you win them.

Crosby overcame a lot of adversity in rebuilding the Pens - twice. Not bailing when times were tough was considered admirable then. Trying with this roster is a bigger challenge...but imagine if he did it. Building a championship team would be so much more satisfying than bandwagoning on one.

Last edited:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
the bottom 6 will be interesting. At least there are options now. There are a couple things that I hope will change the dynamic this year. a full year with Bunting, He is so smart and adds that savvy reading if Malkins play. Rakell shoulder is back to 100% and he can be that forward who can do a lot of good things again. Plus Jarry and Graves return to better form here. Dubas is puting his wants in place and bigger, more grit, younger and deeper is a good thing.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I would never question Crosby's desire to win. But he clearly wants to win in Pittsburgh, and has never been afraid of an uphill battle. This is his team, and this core has been in the trenches with him for two decades.

Some people talk about him going to a team like the Avs as a natural next step if he truly wanted to win, to help an established contender/recent Cup winner win again. Do you think that would be gratifying for him, or the sign of a real winner?

Look at Kevin Durant. He chased and won championships in the manner some people feel Crosby should. He was looked at as a team hopper, and even he considered those wins hollow which is a big reason why he jumped ship after going 2 for 2. A legacy isn't just built on Cup counting, its how you win them.

Crosby overcame a lot of adversity in rebuilding the Pens - twice. Not bailing when times were tough was considered admirable then. Trying with this roster is a bigger challenge...but imagine if he did it. Building a championship team would be so much more satisfying than bandwagoning on one.

Also Crosby to the Avs or anyteam isnt a lock. If he doesn't win then it is just a weird moment in his legacy.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
I agree but including a picture where the only team worse than us was the literal Stanley Cup Champion isn't actually evidence supporting your claim Aurora.
Well I figured it goes without saying that Florida compensated for this with quantity and quality of things the Pens lacked.
They only scored 13 more goals than the Pens, but allowed 51 less. Their team defense was #1 in the league.

Sure, Bob was stronger than Jarry. But if a team is banking on top-5 league goaltending just to make the playoffs, that's putting way too many eggs in one basket.

I'm not claiming anything. It's a fact. The Pens have been a terrible shooting team and it's been their #1 weakness 3 straight years.
Only people who don't know this are those who skip or sleepwalk through the games. Or they're just blinded by anger and need to direct their ire at 1 guy.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Well I figured it goes without saying that Florida compensated for this with quantity and quality of things the Pens lacked.
They only scored 13 more goals than the Pens, but allowed 51 less. Their team defense was #1 in the league.

Sure, Bob was stronger than Jarry. But if a team is banking on top-5 league goaltending just to make the playoffs, that's putting way too many eggs in one basket.

I'm not claiming anything. It's a fact. The Pens have been a terrible shooting team and it's been their #1 weakness 3 straight years.
Only people who don't know this are those who skip or sleepwalk through the games. Or they're just blinded by anger and need to direct their ire at 1 guy.
It's also a fact that a worse shooting team, with a 35 year old goalie who fared worse than Jarry going into last season, won the Cup. It can happen.

Reactions: Rave7215

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

God Rossi is such a putz. He throws something super cryptic and doesn’t specify leaving people to wonder. Tried to find out what he’s talking about and couldn’t find anything besides what someone posted on his replies which I didn’t find anything more than boring Sid speak.
If you wanted to hyper analyze Sid's comments you could see that he talked about how the GM needs to do whats best for him and he (Sid) needs to do whats best for himself. And Sid also talked about how he knew they were doing a bit of a rebuild and that sometimes those can go fast but that "as a player you always want to win".

Those two comments could certainly be taken to mean that Sid still wants to win and that he recognizes that the Pens aren't currently the best place to do that.

That might make one think he wants out except that he was also pretty adamant about the fact that he thinks the extension will still get done sooo sounds like Rossi is just blowing smoke out of his ass to me. Unless Rossi is meaning to imply that Sid is going to sign something short term because of the direction the Pens are heading *shrug*.

As usual with Rossi he puts out some vague bullshit so that if (when) he's wrong he won't look as bad, but if he is somehow right he gets to say "aha".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad