Value of: Raymond Offer sheet

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Aside from the fact that Detroit matches this gleefully, I guess I don't get why MTL would want to throw an offer sheet at a winger with Slaf/Caufield/Laine/Demidov in the organization.

Seems like if they were gonna throw an offer sheet at somebody, there are greater needs.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
As a Habs fan i would Offer sheet Raymond.

7,9mil x 6 years
Giving up a first, 2nd and third in 2025.
And Detroit would match that on day 7 after going radio silent for a week just because they can. So it doesn't matter what the compensation is in 2025. Because the Habs retain those picks and don't get Raymond.

AlwaysSunnyInDetroit

Oct 1, 2021
Call me crazy... Demidov may have a ton of hype now that Montreal grabbed him but Ray is 70 point, 22 year old and you know what your getting with him. I won't pretend to know a ton about Demidov but I'm keeping the sure thing at this stage.
oh, i know. i was just attempting to get a rise out of montreal fans

Reactions: saska sault

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
There isn't an offer anyone could make Detroit doesn't match that isn't completely stupid. I think they might even consider matching at 11.5M despite the four firsts.

He's not worth that amount right now but on a long term deal, he absolutely will be imo.

Reactions: Chainshot

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
There isn't an offer anyone could make Detroit doesn't match that isn't completely stupid. I think they might even consider matching at 11.5M despite the four firsts.

He's not worth that amount right now but on a long term deal, he absolutely will be imo.
I think Stevie takes the 4 1sts if it's Montreal making the offer.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I could see Utah or Nashville put 10m+ on the offer sheet, they have the draft assets. Utah has the space too, no idea about Nashville.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
As a Habs fan i would Offer sheet Raymond.

7,9mil x 6 years
Giving up a first, 2nd and third in 2025.

This would be matched instantly. The reason these offersheets to top end players/prospects don't happen is some team would have to pay so much that Detroit/other team doesn't want to match. This offer is inline with what players in Raymond's category are worth. It would have to be 4 1sts type deal for Detroit to entertain not matching and no team is making that offer.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Lol, I bet you would.

Honestly, from my third-party POV, Raymond is the most important piece on the DRW roster. Seider is second, and Larkin is third.

I absolutely love that kids game. He's going to get a lot better.

Seider is far more important than Ray. Seider logs all the hard minutes on the blueline and Detroit would be way worse off if Mo was gone and Ray was the only one left. Larkin is the most important piece overall and if you watch Detroit for any length of time it is painfully clear the difference the team has if he is out or playing hurt.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The Wings match that before it even gets leaked that he accepted

I’d trade Copp for Suzuki.

I’m not sure how that’s relevant to the real world though?

If an offersheet happened, teams almost always wait the full 7 not because they don't know what they are doing, but because it makes the other team potentially waste 7 days from making other moves while they wait for the offersheet business to be dealt with.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Perfetti really is the only RFA left, you could see an offer sheet ever working for.

There’s a lot of mixed feelings about him. If there’s someone out there who thinks he’s trending to be a legit 2C for the next decade, they might be willing to hand him an offer that could end up an anchor of a contract for the Jets, if he doesn’t become that. The Kotkaniemi type thing but at an even higher AAV. Something the Jets would have to really, really think about.

I’d almost bet though, if they truly are far apart in negotiations, they’ve started taking calls on him, because with St Louis doing what they did, other teams are going to be more willing to do an Offer Sheet. They wouldn’t be fair to themselves, if they didn’t see what he’s worth around the league.

We’ll see.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Seider is far more important than Ray. Seider logs all the hard minutes on the blueline and Detroit would be way worse off if Mo was gone and Ray was the only one left. Larkin is the most important piece overall and if you watch Detroit for any length of time it is painfully clear the difference the team has if he is out or playing hurt.

I mean, we don't really know Seider's importance compared to Larkin's because we haven't seen the team without Seider since he made the league.

... I'd rather not considering our other RHD are Petry and Holl.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
If Raymond would accept that deal, he likely would have signed a long time ago. Regardless, in this scenario, Yzerman immediately matches and sends Montreal a nice floral arrangement with a thank you card.

• Wow
Reactions: Satan

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
$8,580,251 to $10,725,314
for 4 years
Comp: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd

That's the 'sweet spot' that makes DET think twice, as it brings him straight to UFA. No one will offer it though.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Wings fans, if each of Raymond and Seider got offer-sheeted, which guy would get prioritized in retaining, and what would be each guy's walking price? Thanks.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
$8,580,251 to $10,725,314
for 4 years
Comp: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd

That's the 'sweet spot' that makes DET think twice, as it brings him straight to UFA. No one will offer it though.

I do wonder if Utah should just bite the bullet and do it. After all their pickups this summer, they're on the verge of being a bubble team so unlikely to be in a position to draft a Raymond-level talent again. Add in that they lack a bona fide bookend to Keller and Cooley on L1, and it makes sense to me:

Raymond-Cooley-Keller
Crouse-Kerfoot-Schmaltz
Maccelli-Hayton-Doan
McBain-Bjugstad-Guenther
Stenlund, O'Brien

Sergachev-Marino
Valimaki-Durzi
Cole-Kesselring
Soderstrom

Vejmelka
Ingram

That's an incredibly deep team with no real weaknesses outside of missing a clear #1 D. Even still I expect them to be a competitive club all year long, and could maybe turn some of their prospect capital and NHL depth into that player before the season is over.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Wings fans, if each of Raymond and Seider got offer-sheeted, which guy would get prioritized in retaining, and what would be each guy's walking price? Thanks.

Both would be prioritized equally and you’re probably looking upwards of 10 million before Detroit even considers not matching in a meaningful way.

Keep in mind they have 17.5 million of cap space and an ability to easily create another 2-3 million if necessary.

Reactions: norrisnick

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Gun to my head, Seider is probably more important, but not by much. Losing Raymond would hurt the team big time. It would take whatever the price that gets you four 1sts would be.

I mean what good does getting a couple firsts for compensation really do for a team already tired of rebuilding. Would be really hard to find another Raymond with those and wait for them to develop. I'm getting annoyed thinking about it.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
honestly the dollar amount here is low enough that it doesn't even matter that Detroit would match it because Raymond would never even sign it to begin with

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Both would be prioritized equally and you’re probably looking upwards of 10 million before Detroit even considers not matching in a meaningful way.

Keep in mind they have 17.5 million of cap space and an ability to easily create another 2-3 million if necessary.
Hmm very valid point, with a prospect pool like that you guys could easily shed someone like Copp (and you've already dumped Walman this offseason) and afford to match without batting an eye, when there's prospects ready to fit most roles (Kasper for C, ASP for RHD, Wallinder/ Johannson for LHD).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad