Which team with some expectations for success will be the biggest flop in the league this season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Im expecting the Jets without Rick Bowness to fall more into the middle of the pack of the NHL standings and not in the top 5. They overachieved at several points last season. Bowness did an amazing job with that team last year and there's no replacing him.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Which team with some expectations for success will be the biggest flop this season?

Same team as last year, the Ottawa Senators

The Leafs have fallen 13 points over the last two seasons. With the lateral moves and wishful expectations they have banked on over the off-season, I expect them to slide further away from the President's Trophy and to continue their inability to contend for the Stanley Cup.

Leafs had massive goaltending issues last year, the chances of that happening again this year are very slim.

Just dropping Samsonov alone is probably worth 13 points in the standings

Reactions: ManByng

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
It's either going to be a team that surprised last year that people expect to repeat this year (Vancouver, Nashville, Winnipeg) or one of the three Atlantic teams that people keep expecting to finally see make the playoffs (Detroit, Buffalo, Ottawa).

My biggest disappointment last year was Ottawa, so I hope they don't suck it up again this year.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006

Leafs had massive goaltending issues last year, the chances of that happening again this year are very slim.

Yes. The guy with 23 wins for the Leafs last year was the problem...and the solution is a guy who doesn't have 23 wins in all of his NHL career.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023

50% of Sens fans think they won't make the playoffs, the other 50% think they're a bubble team at best. Not sure who has expectations of success.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
You're completely misreading the sentiment of most Sens fans for this upcoming year, we're not as gung ho about the teams prospects as prior years after the recent failures. We'd be lucky to be playing meaningful games by March, most Sens fans have tempered their expectations significantly this off season.

Reactions: LiseL

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Going to ruffle some feathers here but that’s the point of this thread.

New Jersey •Still a young and small team, and despite what HFboards will tell you that’s a detriment. Don’t see them having the upside a lot of people say, and a good bet for a 1st round exit. Will be good in the coming years, but still needs experience and some veteran additions before getting there.

Ottawa •Feel like Ullmark was the wrong addition for this team. He will be going from a team that allowed 135 GA at 5v5 (3rd) to a team that allowed 192 (29th), and as much as you can blame the goalies for that it’s still a 42% increase in GA, there is obviously larger factors at play. Especially when you consider he’s never started more than 50 games and will be expected to assume a full starters load, and Ottawa is still a team led by youth in key positions. Think he gets shelled a lot more than he’s used to and Ottawa remains a team looking to take the next step.

Utah •Not sold on their additions at all. Sergachev is a good piece, but he’ll be replacing Utah’s biggest minute muncher in Moser, and that’s not a role he is made for at all. Him and Durzi seem redundant and one’s effectiveness will be limited by the presence of the other, while neither replaces Moser’s role. Marino was also a hot mess in New Jersey last year. They’re HFBoards typical darlings, but don’t see them escaping their bottom 10 team status.

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Utah •Not sold on their additions at all. Sergachev is a good piece, but he’ll be replacing Utah’s biggest minute muncher in Moser, and that’s not a role he is made for at all. Him and Durzi seem redundant and one’s effectiveness will be limited by the presence of the other, while neither replaces Moser’s role. Marino was also a hot mess in New Jersey last year. They’re HFBoards typical darlings, but don’t see them escaping their bottom 10 team status.
Utah has a horrible defensive roster. One good checking forward surrounded by small, soft playmakers and one finisher in Guenther. Still could see them overachieving as a team in a new market. It’s an emotional sport. I could also see CBJ doing the same.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Going to ruffle some feathers here but that’s the point of this thread.

New Jersey •Still a young and small team, and despite what HFboards will tell you that’s a detriment. Don’t see them having the upside a lot of people say, and a good bet for a 1st round exit. Will be good in the coming years, but still needs experience and some veteran additions before getting there.

Ottawa •Feel like Ullmark was the wrong addition for this team. He will be going from a team that allowed 135 GA at 5v5 (3rd) to a team that allowed 192 (29th), and as much as you can blame the goalies for that it’s still a 42% increase in GA, there is obviously larger factors at play. Especially when you consider he’s never started more than 50 games and will be expected to assume a full starters load, and Ottawa is still a team led by youth in key positions. Think he gets shelled a lot more than he’s used to and Ottawa remains a team looking to take the next step.

If replacing Korpisalo with Ullmark was the only change the Sens did in the off-season, I'd agree with you. But GM Staois also focused on team construction resulting in 10 new players on the roster including a true RD and 3 vets who have won the cup and play the right way. There's also a new coaching staff that will be focusing on details, roles and accountability. I don't know if it's enough to make the playoffs, but I expect their defensive play to be much better going forward barring injuries.

Reactions: SNES

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
The Leafs are disqualified from this because no one in their right mind thinks this season will be any different just because Craig Berube is in town and AM is wearing the C.

As long as core four are still here, everything else is window dressing.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
If replacing Korpisalo with Ullmark was the only change the Sens did in the off-season, I'd agree with you. But GM Staois also focused on team construction resulting in 10 new players on the roster including a true RD and 3 vets who have won the cup and play the right way. There's also a new coaching staff that will be focusing on details, roles and accountability. I don't know if it's enough to make the playoffs, but I expect their defensive play to be much better going forward barring injuries.
Perron, Joseph, Amadio, Jensen, and Cousins are not the different makers you’re trying to make them out to be (Jensen was a nice add, but at the expense of a quality defenseman in Chychrun). I have no clue who the 5 other roster players you’re trying to say they added are, but with Chychrun also leaving I don’t see enough change for me to believe this is the year Ottawa takes a large step forward unless the new coach bump gives the illusion of progress.

topseed

Jun 17, 2024
I'm rooting for the Oil, but feel it's them. The sentiment is that adding new pieces will get them over the hill. This is hockey guys, just because they made the final this year, doesn't mean they are guaranteed to repeat again next season by adding pieces. Also tending and D-core is still suspect AF, things went their way this season, but more than likely that it wont happen again next season.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I think Nashville in the West. Carolina the East.

Canucks aren't a rational choice. Coaching/systems too good. Offensive depth and core is solid. Team has momentum and wants to build off of it last year. CAP space to spend at the trade deadline. The Canucks are going to win the division again and its because Rick Tocchet is a fantastic coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad