Value of: Rasmus Andersson to Montreal?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Value aside i have no interest in trading
Guhle + Rein + Barron for LaF + Gabe P + Lindgren.
I don't think many would do that trade unless your a Rangers fan.
You are entitled to your opinion. That said, "value" is NOT "aside".
Either it = enough profit for a given team to do it, or not.

Rs have W depth
Cs have D depth
on paper it makes sense if talent level is close enuf, which arguably it is

• Haha
Reactions: CanadienShark

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Realistically he will end up getting traded to a contender at the deadline. Hab fans will go back and forth for 20 pages with varying degrees of him not being worth their prized prospects...and he will just end up going to a team making a push for a cup in the spring lol

Reactions: wetcoast

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Realistically he will end up getting traded to a contender at the deadline. Hab fans will go back and forth for 20 pages with varying degrees of him not being worth their prized prospects...and he will just end up going to a team making a push for a cup in the spring lol
Not saying Montreal is the right fit, but I think Calgary gets a much better return if they trade him with 2 years left on his deal to a team looking to improve instead of to a bonafide contender

I think teams like Buffalo or Detroit would pay more than that classic late 1st + okay prospect + okay roster player that the contenders would want to give up

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
You are entitled to your opinion. That said, "value" is NOT "aside".
Either it = enough profit for a given team to do it, or not.

Rs have W depth
Cs have D depth
on paper it makes sense if talent level is close enuf, which arguably it is
OK .Your offer is NOT enough profit for the Habs to do it.
Even on paper the talent level is not close enough.

Reactions: CanadienShark

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Not saying Montreal is the right fit, but I think Calgary gets a much better return if they trade him with 2 years left on his deal to a team looking to improve instead of to a bonafide contender

I think teams like Buffalo or Detroit would pay more than that classic late 1st + okay prospect + okay roster player that the contenders would want to give up
this ^ + CGY takes best offer, whether from contender or developing team

Reactions: Gustave

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
OP premise:
Flames sell Ras IF high enuf overpay = true
Habs can be in that mix
But also many others

The ? is, given competitive bidding, what currency is best fit for Flames, who do not have to move Ras Andy at present?
And once that best bid is in, does MON beat it?

----------
The other ? to be considered here is while Hab D depth is impressive, it is not bottomless.
HuGo must consider value of dealing strong reserve of D for other D
versus
depth for need [Fs]

Let's take coupla names off the D table, then go to issue of Ras Andy to Mon w/what's left...

LaF + Gabe Perreault + Lindgren
for
Guhle + Reinbacher + Barron

why MON
immediate signif W help
add top level W prospect
stopgap LD

why Rs
immediate LD help
add top level RD prospect
3RD

---------
now that those names are off the board

Mailloux + next 3 MON 1sts each top 10 protected + secondary throw in sweeteners
for
Ras Andy + next 4 Calgary 2nds [unprotected]

why Flames
get stud D 2-ish yrs away at cost of waiting
to justify that cost, trade up 3x [surrender one extra pick for the privilege]

why Habs
get immediately useful stud RD entering his prime now for projected better to higher end D prospect
Ras Andy is young enuf this does not blow up rebuild
surrender value on three trade downs is acceptable given above and extra 2nd
I stopped reading here

Reactions: viceroy

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
OK .Your offer is NOT enough profit for the Habs to do it.
Even on paper the talent level is not close enough.
Not for the first time, we agree to disagree.
LaF = 1OA, after slow solving only hole in his game, skating, shows he is real deal
this was a guy they hyped as "best non generational talent to be 1OA since MacKinnon".

He is > Reinbacher, a 5OA

Gabe P similar drafted to Guhle, edge Guhle b'c he's proven, established, but no reason at this pt to think Perreault does not cut it.
So small - medium edge Guhle

above 2 ballpark cancel

Lindy v Barron = close in trade return value

I stopped reading here
Suit yourself.
But don't forget, reading is yr friend!

Anyhoo, til tom peeps, tl tom

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Not for the first time, we agree to disagree.
LaF = 1OA, after slow solving only hole in his game, skating, shows he is real deal
this was a guy they hyped as "best non generational talent to be 1OA since MacKinnon".

He is > Reinbacher, a 5OA

Gabe P similar drafted to Guhle, edge Guhle b'c he's proven, established, but no reason at this pt to think Perreault does not cut it.
So small - medium edge Guhle

above 2 ballpark cancel

Lindy v Barron = close in trade return value

Suit yourself.
But don't forget, reading is yr friend!

Anyhoo, til tom peeps, tl tom
If LaF + Gabe P + Lindgren is >Guhle + Rein + Barron why are you offering them up. If Laf is so damn great why are you always trying to pawn him off to the Habs?
Just get over it. Habs have no interest in overpaying for Laf.

I stopped reading here
So did every other Hab fan.:thumbu:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If LaF + Gabe P + Lindgren is >Guhle + Rein + Barron why are you offering them up. If Laf is so damn great why are you always trying to pawn him off to the Habs?
Just get over it. Habs have no interest in overpaying for Laf.
you misquote me.
I said LaF > Rein, Gabe P + Guhle close, currently Guhle a bit more, and Barron-Lindgren close. The deal is not a huge win for either side. It is a ballpark = deal, but b'c both sides address weakness from depth, it is a rare win win.

As to why LaF = why moved if so damn good, answer, b'c Rs need to gamble Othmann + others can step up so we need to repurpose LaF high value into quality D add.
That is why the deal is proposed

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I got all of that, thanks.
Where we are not on the same page, apparently, is that while HuGo, like everyone else is gonna grab whatever 'maybe' opportunities fall into Mon's lap [be they productive or not], I expect him/them to deal at some pt from such huge depth for F help.
That will accelerate opening the window.

If you don't do that and literally go w/holding all D, If you can draft Fs as well as D, you will catch up in a couple of years and your scenario = success.
But that is a risky strategy.
What Fs are available at draft; time to develop; success v disappointment/bust.

Also, there is also risk/reward to consider.
We don't know if Mal will be <, >, or = to Ras Andy.
You would be getting a known commodity.

Again, I agree Mon like any other club should milk its D advantage.
We appear to disagree on whether dealing surplus for need makes sense.
I think we all know they can't keep them all. At some point they hedge. I just disagree about the year and the player.

Reactions: bernmeister

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
fun one.

Andsersson for Savard (TDL value) + Anderson (2026 TDL value/cap dump negative value) + Mailloux + Beck + 2025 1st (top 2 protection)+ Mesar + 2nd.

This is a trade the Flames have to win to make. Otherwise there is no incentive to make it.

Savard brings back at least a 2nd in 2025 when he’s traded at the deadline.
Fun one 🤣

🤡

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
So we can assume Toronto is out of the picture?

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I don’t see why MTL would be looking to acquire a veteran D at this time. If anything, they’ll be looking to ship one out this season at the deadline (one of Matheson or Savard).

While he is a valuable defenseman, acquiring Andersson does nothing for the Habs in the medium or long term, which being in a rebuild, is what the team is most concerned with right now.

It makes zero sense, especially because of the type of assets it would require.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Montreal isn't going to pay the price to get Andersson given everything. But teams like the Lightening, Bruins, Kings, Avalanche, & Stars might.
Well, teams like Habs, BUF, ANA, DET, Utah... have much better asset collection, so they might actually surprise us with the trade.

Last edited:

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Well, teams like Habs, BUF, ANA, DET, Arizona... have much better asset collection, so they might actually surprise us with the trade.
Uta.h maybe. The other ones, doubtful. Anaheim's still too early in the rebuild. And both the Habs and Wings have GM's who aren't the type to break the bank in trades. Yzerman is super cheap and while Hughes did give up quality for the likes of Dach and Newhook, both were much younger.

Andersson's primary value is in his bargain cap hit, which can be further reduced to an almost negligible 2.275M if the Flames retain 50%. The organizations that will value adding a top pairing defenceman at that ridiculously cheap cap hit are the ones currently in their cup window like the Lightning or Avalanche.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Uta.h maybe. The other ones, doubtful. Anaheim's still too early in the rebuild. And both the Habs and Wings have GM's who aren't the type to break the bank in trades. Yzerman is super cheap and while Hughes did give up quality for the likes of Dach and Newhook, both were much younger.

Andersson's primary value is in his bargain cap hit, which can be further reduced to an almost negligible 2.275M if the Flames retain 50%. The organizations that will value adding a top pairing defenceman at that ridiculously cheap cap hit are the ones currently in their cup window like the Lightning or Avalanche.
OK, I just found out that Nashville has 3 1st round picks in 2025, so they might have ton of interest in RA.

Ledge And Dairy

While I agree with this I don't think it's unrealistic to include a team like Buffalo or Detroit. Those 2 specifically should be under a pretty decent amount of pressure to be making the playoffs soon and even though Stevie Y has a very rigid view on trades, results (or lack there of) can absolutely force his hand. While Edvinsson probably makes the NHL this yeah his overall impact on team success is not likely to be anywhere close to Faber last year, or teammate Seider before that. Yes they have ASP too but he's likely a few years away from any legitimate NHL impact too.

Buffalo is a bit odd as they just acquired Byram so success from their blue line is unknown right now. Their main issue is a lack of RHD, so much so that they might now even have one playing in the top 4 this year.

As for contending teams, I have Nashville pinned as Andersson's most likely destination. Past Josi their D-core is pretty suspect, especially on the right side. I like Skjei but he's more of a #3. Fabbro and Carrier are both decent depth guys too but I don't view either as a #2. As for acquiring, the Preds absolutely have the assets too.

Vancouver is also a team that makes a lot of sense for him. With the seemingly solid connection between Conroy and Alvin/Rutherford I would not at all be shocked to see him end up there.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Expect to sign who exactly? The thing about signing star players is that they actually have to be willing to sign with you.

You could offersheet Bouchard, but you're probably talking about four 1st rounders of compensation. And then you'll immediately realize that a chunk of those 80 points stay in Edmonton because their elite offense is what drives it.

Montreal lacks a true elite #1 center. No sugarcoating it. The Cinderella run of the COVID year was exactly what it was: unsustainable. I told you guys that as it was happening. That was a very bad team. Suzuki led it playing under a PPG and a -6.

And no one is expecting the Habs to be Cup contenders a year from now. They're well behind a number of the teams in their division, including the ones that are also rebuilding.
Around 10 million it's 2 firsts, a 2nd and 3rd. But they be late picks in draft by '26. Oilers can't match. Drai up end of this season, McDavid the next.

• Haha
Reactions: Bluenotes27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad