Value of: Rasmus Andersson to Montreal?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Flames would need at least a player that they value as much as Andersson or at least a package that they value as much as Andersson or else they would say no.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
What? No. If they traded Kadri, for example, they would want a package that they value as much as Kadri, not Andersson.
Clearly I meant as they value whomever/whatever they are trading :rolleyes:

I really hope this response was just a really stupid joke and not serious.

Reactions: HabsAddict

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
fun one.

Andsersson for Savard (TDL value) + Anderson (2026 TDL value/cap dump negative value) + Mailloux + Beck + 2025 1st (top 2 protection)+ Mesar + 2nd.

This is a trade the Flames have to win to make. Otherwise there is no incentive to make it.

Savard brings back at least a 2nd in 2025 when he’s traded at the deadline.
Holy f***ing shit that's awful. :laugh:

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Absolutely outlandish prices in this thread. You guys never seem to learn on the main boards, you're always out to lunch.

Not a chance Hughes pays anything close to a single offer proposed in here. It's as crazy as Laine for a 1st+ but like I said, the main boards never learn.
Over the last 3 seasons, across all NHL defenseman Andersson is:

12th in minutes played
21st in points
29th in 5v5 points

Calgary was not a playoff team and definitely not known for their offense 2/3 of that time. He is a RD, and you will be getting him for 2.275M per year for 2 years with ample time to re-sign him.

Hughes may not pay the price, but you won’t get him if he doesn’t. No way he goes this offseason for whatever playoff teams 1st and and non top 5 prospect from whomever’s pool. Some of these asks are outlandish, but this is a player with multiple 1st’s+ value.

• Love
Reactions: bernmeister

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Contrary to what some seem to think, rebuilding doesn't mean a team is looking to sell every valuable asset. You need solid veteran players that are also leaders to work with your young players, that's how you get out of a rebuild, rather than being in a perpetual rebuild.

I have little doubt the Flames are going to try to extend Andersson, and the only way they start shopping him is if he tells the team he's unwilling to extend or unwilling to do so at a reasonable rate.

This team is already going to probably have a rookie in Dustin Wolf in net for 45-55% of their games, and they are doing so with just 2 legitimate top 4 defensemen. It would be bad for Wolf to weaken the defense more, it would be bad for morale and tell players losing is okay if they weaken the defense more, it would be bad for younger defensemen to be forced into roles they are simply not ready for and will put them in a position to fail if they weaken the defense more.
Honestly this is a bold opinion but I think Calgary views Andersson as expendable, even more so than a guy like Kuzmenko that everyone’s already written off. People have clamored this is a rebuild not a retool, but Calgary hasn’t sent a single guy off they don’t think they have a guy in the system/can acquire to replace them within 1-2 years time. Toffoli (Sharangovich), Lindholm (Kuzmenko, Zary), Markstrom (Wolf), Mangiapane (Coronato, Pelletier), and our defense sell off with our now brimming defensive prospect pool.

Andersson as a RD has all of Brzustewicz, Parekh, Miromanov, and Mews as RD in the system, with the first couple probably 1-2 years away from needing spots on the big club, one already playing a solid 21 minutes a night after arriving, as well as Weegar who can slide to the right if needed. If Weegar-Miromanov is truly going to be our top pair this year, I can see Calgary thinking Andersson’s role on the second pair can be replaced in the near future.

Calgary seems to be using a mix of pro scouting (Kuzmenko, Sharangovich, Bahl, Miromanov) to find younger external candidates to fill roles while collecting assets, as well as trading off players that have internal candidates waiting for their shot (Wolf, Coronato, Zary, Pelletier). Could easily see Andersson being viewed a guy with replacements in the wings as of this time next year in Brzustewicz and Parekh, and looking to continue the plan of getting younger while collecting draft picks and prospects/young NHLers. Conroy has outright stated he plans on following the Dallas approach, and seems to have the mantra of wanting to use an extreme excess of picks on high risk/high reward prospects to get there. Before Parekh was drafted I would’ve agreed with you, now I’m not sure if he’s the smartest recipient to give a long term contract in our spot, and I say that as a guy who thinks we consider re-signing Kuzmenko.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
If you read what I said you would know I started by saying the trade makes no sense for the Habs considering their current state of the rebuild. That cost is not unreasonable at all though
theres a reason why 11 of 11 reactions are all laughing at ur hideous proposal

Reactions: HabsAddict

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Honestly this is a bold opinion but I think Calgary views Andersson as expendable, even more so than a guy like Kuzmenko that everyone’s already written off. People have clamored this is a rebuild not a retool, but Calgary hasn’t sent a single guy off they don’t think they have a guy in the system/can acquire to replace them within 1-2 years time. Toffoli (Sharangovich), Lindholm (Kuzmenko, Zary), Markstrom (Wolf), Mangiapane (Coronato, Pelletier), and our defense sell off with our now brimming defensive prospect pool.

Andersson as a RD has all of Brzustewicz, Parekh, Miromanov, and Mews as RD in the system, with the first couple probably 1-2 years away from needing spots on the big club, one already playing a solid 21 minutes a night after arriving, as well as Weegar who can slide to the right if needed. If Weegar-Miromanov is truly going to be our top pair this year, I can see Calgary thinking Andersson’s role on the second pair can be replaced in the near future.

Calgary seems to be using a mix of pro scouting (Kuzmenko, Sharangovich, Bahl, Miromanov) to find younger external candidates to fill roles while collecting assets, as well as trading off players that have internal candidates waiting for their shot (Wolf, Coronato, Zary, Pelletier). Could easily see Andersson being viewed a guy with replacements in the wings as of this time next year in Brzustewicz and Parekh, and looking to continue the plan of getting younger while collecting draft picks and prospects/young NHLers. Conroy has outright stated he plans on following the Dallas approach, and seems to have the mantra of wanting to use an extreme excess of picks on high risk/high reward prospects to get there. Before Parekh was drafted I would’ve agreed with you, now I’m not sure if he’s the smartest recipient to give a long term contract in our spot, and I say that as a guy who thinks we consider re-signing Kuzmenko.
This is not a "bold" opinion,, it's completely f***ing asinine one... I'd say more but I'd get an infraction for insulting you.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
With Montreals current situation, trying to accelerate the rebuild and acquire quality players that fit a need but don’t compromise the long term. What would be the likely asking price for Andersson? Montreal has significant strength on the left side but they are very young and unproven on the right side with Reinbacher and Mailloux in the pipeline and could benefit with a more experienced well rounded dman like Rasmus with Savard being a flawed and aging player. Is this a player the Flames would part ways with? If so what would it likely cost the Habs?

Added after : this would be all depending if we could have sone degree of certainty of him signing longer term. Also not before this season begins but the following tdl or off season when Savard is slated to part ways with the Canadiens.
Montreal needs stud right defenseman but doubt Andersson is the answer

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Montreal's window probably doesn't open for another three or so seasons. So I'm not sure that Andersson fits the logical timeline when factoring in acquisition cost.

The Habs are better off letting things play out and developing their prospects with favorable icetime. They're not all going to hit and some will need to be moved for these types of established pieces in future years.

The biggest hole right now is the lack of a true #1 center and more often than not, competitive teams get that from the draft.
Montreal has 20 million coming off cap next season. They expect to sign a star. Demidov should be here by then also. Team projected to above .500 this year. By '25-26 Habs expected to be cup contenders. By I doubt Andersson is the guy.. I would offer sheet Bouchard next summer. Size with 80 points, plays well under pressure

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
theres a reason why 11 of 11 reactions are all laughing at ur hideous proposal
you cited two persons in your post. the one you are talking to here asked for hage + a 1st and offered to take back salary. i think you have them switched up. time for a sorry.

Montreal has 20 million coming off cap next season. They expect to sign a star. Demidov should be here by then also. Team projected to above .500 this year. By '25-26 Habs expected to be cup contenders. By I doubt Andersson is the guy.. I would offer sheet Bouchard next summer. Size with 80 points, plays well under pressure
:skeptic:

Reactions: Bluenotes27

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
That would be stupid, since one of our 1st picks depend on them ending just outside of the top-10... :help:

We are not accelerating the rebuild, Laine was an offer we could not refuse. :popcorn:
This. Laine's acquisition means nothing for the rebuild. We haven't even seen him play for us yet. He was just an offer too good to pass up. I'd rather let things play out than "accelerating" the rebuild.

Odds are rushing things will only end up ruining all the years of misery spent rebuilding and have to do it all over again. No thanks.

Reactions: habsfan44

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
i would be interested. Something on D would have to go from Montreal to make room for Andersson and I just can’t quite put my finger on who’s expandable. I’m thinking it would have to be Matheson for this trade to work. Guhle can take the 1LHD role and Hutson 2LHD.

As for what would be attached to Matheson to make it worthwhile for Calgary would probably have to be their first back with a lesser prospect ala Mesar.

That trade would solve some issues Montreal is facing defensively while allowing Guhle back on his strong side. It would also help ease in one of Reinbacher or Mailloux this year.

For Calgary, they get valuable assets and someone who can eat a lot of minutes can be sold for a king ransom in a year in a half because of his positive contract

Reactions: ole ole

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
OP premise:
Flames sell Ras IF high enuf overpay = true
Habs can be in that mix
But also many others

The ? is, given competitive bidding, what currency is best fit for Flames, who do not have to move Ras Andy at present?
And once that best bid is in, does MON beat it?

----------
The other ? to be considered here is while Hab D depth is impressive, it is not bottomless.
HuGo must consider value of dealing strong reserve of D for other D
versus
depth for need [Fs]

Let's take coupla names off the D table, then go to issue of Ras Andy to Mon w/what's left...

LaF + Gabe Perreault + Lindgren
for
Guhle + Reinbacher + Barron

why MON
immediate signif W help
add top level W prospect
stopgap LD

why Rs
immediate LD help
add top level RD prospect
3RD

---------
now that those names are off the board

Mailloux + next 3 MON 1sts each top 10 protected + secondary throw in sweeteners
for
Ras Andy + next 4 Calgary 2nds [unprotected]

why Flames
get stud D 2-ish yrs away at cost of waiting
to justify that cost, trade up 3x [surrender one extra pick for the privilege]

why Habs
get immediately useful stud RD entering his prime now for projected better to higher end D prospect
Ras Andy is young enuf this does not blow up rebuild
surrender value on three trade downs is acceptable given above and extra 2nd

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Expect to sign who exactly? The thing about signing star players is that they actually have to be willing to sign with you.

You could offersheet Bouchard, but you're probably talking about four 1st rounders of compensation. And then you'll immediately realize that a chunk of those 80 points stay in Edmonton because their elite offense is what drives it.

Montreal lacks a true elite #1 center. No sugarcoating it. The Cinderella run of the COVID year was exactly what it was: unsustainable. I told you guys that as it was happening. That was a very bad team. Suzuki led it playing under a PPG and a -6.

And no one is expecting the Habs to be Cup contenders a year from now. They're well behind a number of the teams in their division, including the ones that are also rebuilding.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
No shit.
You literally described any trade, ever.
Not really we just got Laine for free.

Holy f***ing shit that's awful. :laugh:
Look who it came from

fun one.

Andsersson for Savard (TDL value) + Anderson (2026 TDL value/cap dump negative value) + Mailloux + Beck + 2025 1st (top 2 protection)+ Mesar + 2nd.

This is a trade the Flames have to win to make. Otherwise there is no incentive to make it.

Savard brings back at least a 2nd in 2025 when he’s traded at the deadline.
Wow what a stupid offer

Reactions: Qwijibo and viceroy

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Calgary is in a rebuild and Montreal is in a rebuild, they don't make good trade partners. Kent Hughes has said on multiple occasions he won't do something for a short-term gain at the expense of his long-term plan. Rasmus Andersson is a nice player, but he's not someone the Canadiens should acquire with multiple prospects and picks.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
They have in fact invested a lot in D prospects in the last 5 years. However, it’s not a matter of pool as much as a problem of experience and growing as a D core, specifically on the right side.

The Habs cannot send out Reinbacher and Mailloux as RD1 and RD2 for the next 4 years, they’ll get caved in. Habs have a huge gap in experience thanks to the previous regime. They pretty much have to get a guy like Andersson for the next 5 or 6 years to help the development of the 2 above and protect them early on. Getting him or an equivalent is a necessity from my point of view. Also, Habs have been using their prized LD (Ghule) on the right for the last two seasons. This needs to stop as early as can be.

So ya, I’d pay a lot for Andersson or equivalent. The first picks in 25 and 26 are on the table, also the Pitts 25 2nd rounder and the Cbus 26 second rounder as well. A combo of one each gets the ball rolling and a prospect that fits CGY needs. obviously not the big ones (Habs can’t trade a RD in that trade, unless Barron but whatev with him).
Hence something limited but profitable enuf for Calgary w/a D for a D as a core [Ras, Mal] could make sense.

I don't see Hughes targeting defenders this season. With so much organizational depth at the position, he's going to take at least another season to see what he's got.
Shouldn't be looking to net add a backliner barring an exceptional offer, but a neutral swap could make sense.

Expect to sign who exactly? The thing about signing star players is that they actually have to be willing to sign with you.

You could offersheet Bouchard, but you're probably talking about four 1st rounders of compensation. And then you'll immediately realize that a chunk of those 80 points stay in Edmonton because their elite offense is what drives it.

Montreal lacks a true elite #1 center. No sugarcoating it. The Cinderella run of the COVID year was exactly what it was: unsustainable. I told you guys that as it was happening. That was a very bad team. Suzuki led it playing under a PPG and a -6.

And no one is expecting the Habs to be Cup contenders a year from now. They're well behind a number of the teams in their division, including the ones that are also rebuilding.
welcome to the club

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad