Value of: Rasmus Andersson to Montreal?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Calgary is in a rebuild and Montreal is in a rebuild, they don't make good trade partners. Kent Hughes has said on multiple occasions he won't do something for a short-term gain at the expense of his long-term plan. Rasmus Andersson is a nice player, but he's not someone the Canadiens should acquire with multiple prospects and picks.
He's young enuf that he could be worthwhile next for yrs min, some of which are already under contract, cheap.

But depends on the price
Overpay is properly in order for every suitor

But there is overpay you can live with, and what you can't live with, depending on currency

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Shouldn't be looking to net add a backliner barring an exceptional offer, but a neutral swap could make sense.
They'd have to want young D back for the rebuild. There's still a lot of work to do to determine what we have. Trading more at this point wouldn't be prudent imo. I prefer to stick with Matheson and Savard as our vets. Savard comes off the books next summer. Add a vet then.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
He's young enuf that he could be worthwhile next for yrs min, some of which are already under contract, cheap.

But depends on the price

But there is overpay you can live with, and what you can't live with, depending on currency
Andersson's contract, which expires at the end of the 2025-26 season, makes this an even worse idea for Montreal. The Canadiens aren't expected to be a Cup contender in the next two seasons (that would be true even with the addition of Andersson), but they would then need to re-sign a player turning 30-years-old at the start of 2026-27 when they want to become competitive or lose him for nothing.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Andersson's contract, which expires at the end of the 2025-26 season, makes this an even worse idea for Montreal. The Canadiens aren't expected to be a Cup contender in the next two seasons (that would be true even with the addition of Andersson), but they would then need to re-sign a player turning 30-years-old at the start of 2026-27 when they want to become competitive or lose him for nothing.

Montreal has 20 million coming off cap next season. They expect to sign a star. Demidov should be here by then also. Team projected to above .500 this year. By '25-26 Habs expected to be cup contenders. By I doubt Andersson is the guy.. I would offer sheet Bouchard next summer. Size with 80 points, plays well under pressure

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Montreal has to figure out the best way to integrate and develop their young Dmen.
This season, they have Matheson and Savard as the 30 something vets. Then it drops off to Guhle with is 115 or so NHL games. Followed by the 90 & 80 something of Barron and X. And the 40 something of Struble. Then Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher have basically none.
If this is the final season of Savard, they would need the youngsters on the roster this season to take a step to the point where the team would be comfortable with them and a rookie playing together in 25/26. If not, then they do need to make a move or two to change that up if they don't feel comfortable with that many youngsters on the roster playing together.

Realistically, Montreal for 25/26 likely needs a veteran to replace Savard. Doesn't have to be someone like Anderson, but likely need someone who can play regularly, not just a 3rd pairing.

Reactions: Gustave

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Expect to sign who exactly? The thing about signing star players is that they actually have to be willing to sign with you.

You could offersheet Bouchard, but you're probably talking about four 1st rounders of compensation. And then you'll immediately realize that a chunk of those 80 points stay in Edmonton because their elite offense is what drives it.

Montreal lacks a true elite #1 center. No sugarcoating it. The Cinderella run of the COVID year was exactly what it was: unsustainable. I told you guys that as it was happening. That was a very bad team. Suzuki led it playing under a PPG and a -6.

And no one is expecting the Habs to be Cup contenders a year from now. They're well behind a number of the teams in their division, including the ones that are also rebuilding.
Habs of COVID finals total different team than '26 one

Reactions: Qwijibo

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
They'd have to want young D back for the rebuild. There's still a lot of work to do to determine what we have. Trading more at this point wouldn't be prudent imo. I prefer to stick with Matheson and Savard as our vets. Savard comes off the books next summer. Add a vet then.
Respectfully, not sure I follow.
Ras Andy is 27 today per Wiki, and cheap for 2 yrs, with reasonable expectation he can be extended at what market will command another 3-4 yrs.
That is not too old.
Sure, if you did not STILL have a half dozen others even saying Guhle, Rein, and here Mal are dealt, THEN I get the reluctance.
I'm the guy who says usually, go for youth for best cap mgmt to extend window
But habs are not nominally deep, but VERY DEEP on D

So you should try to keep the best and deal the surplus [assuming other top end D not dealt for other needs]
But how much better is it to keep Mal than prime Ras Andy?

that I don't get
pls enlighten if I missed something

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
There is a scenario where what you are saying could 111% make sense.
Howev, it is not the only scenario that applies.

If you only had so much surplus that to address need, you were robbing Peter to pay Paul, I would concede, while not slam dunk, you have an a pt.

But you gambled and won.
You have such a strong ocean of D in reserve, you could STILL do any of several moves to surrender D for F which WOULD get you competitive and on the way to next level, deep playoffs.
e.g.
LaF + Gabe P + Lindgren
for
Guhle + Rein + Barron

still leaves so many guys you could do a raw D [Mal] + for an advanced D + [if he were young enough, which RA is].

Perhaps if CGY authorizes contract extension beforehand?

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
Montreal lacks a true elite #1 center. No sugarcoating it. The Cinderella run of the COVID year was exactly what it was: unsustainable. I told you guys that as it was happening. That was a very bad team. Suzuki led it playing under a PPG and a -6.
Suzuki, believe it or not, has aged and improved in all areas since he was 21.

Playing all 82 games the last 3 years and improving his point totals each year, while his teammates have been battling for who can miss the most games in the meantime.

Is he a top 5-10 centre in the league, no not at this point. But he is imo in that 10-20 range and at 25 yrs old he can still improve further. Add in Dach for more than 1 game this year and we'll see what they can do down the middle before we need to panic about an elite #1 C.

I don't think MTL want to trade for a player like R Andersson at this point, Laine cost next to nothing to obtain, and I think they're going to see what they have this year in Barron, Mailloux, Hutson, Guhle, Xhekaj before throwing futures at a defenseman. The rebuild isn't over by any means.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Respectfully, not sure I follow.
Ras Andy is 27 today per Wiki, and cheap for 2 yrs, with reasonable expectation he can be extended at what market will command another 3-4 yrs.
That is not too old.
Sure, if you did not STILL have a half dozen others even saying Guhle, Rein, and here Mal are dealt, THEN I get the reluctance.
I'm the guy who says usually, go for youth for best cap mgmt to extend window
But habs are not nominally deep, but VERY DEEP on D

So you should try to keep the best and deal the surplus [assuming other top end D not dealt for other needs]
But how much better is it to keep Mal than prime Ras Andy?

that I don't get
pls enlighten if I missed something
Rasmus is a 'vet' in that he has 455 games under his belt. He'll be 28 in October. Essentially 30 when his next contract kicks in. IMO, that puts him outside of the HuGo window. We're a couple of years away from contending. He would likely inch us closer to the playoffs in his two years, but at what cost? It's not the right time, and I don't think he's the guy you spend assets on.

As said, I want to see what we have. Seems clear the club does. Give the ice time to kids.

Reactions: viceroy

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
There is a scenario where what you are saying could 111% make sense.
Howev, it is not the only scenario that applies.

If you only had so much surplus that to address need, you were robbing Peter to pay Paul, I would concede, while not slam dunk, you have an a pt.

But you gambled and won.
You have such a strong ocean of D in reserve, you could STILL do any of several moves to surrender D for F which WOULD get you competitive and on the way to next level, deep playoffs.
e.g.
LaF + Gabe P + Lindgren
for
Guhle + Rein + Barron

still leaves so many guys you could do a raw D [Mal] + for an advanced D + [if he were young enough, which RA is].

Perhaps if CGY authorizes contract extension beforehand?
Habs will easily keep their players and you can try to move Laf + elsewhere.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

But depends on the price

You seem to like him so why not offer up Laf + for Rasmus?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Rasmus is a 'vet' in that he has 455 games under his belt. He'll be 28 in October. Essentially 30 when his next contract kicks in. IMO, that puts him outside of the HuGo window. We're a couple of years away from contending. He would likely inch us closer to the playoffs in his two years, but at what cost? It's not the right time, and I don't think he's the guy you spend assets on.

As said, I want to see what we have. Seems clear the club does. Give the ice time to kids.
I got all of that, thanks.
Where we are not on the same page, apparently, is that while HuGo, like everyone else is gonna grab whatever 'maybe' opportunities fall into Mon's lap [be they productive or not], I expect him/them to deal at some pt from such huge depth for F help.
That will accelerate opening the window.

If you don't do that and literally go w/holding all D, If you can draft Fs as well as D, you will catch up in a couple of years and your scenario = success.
But that is a risky strategy.
What Fs are available at draft; time to develop; success v disappointment/bust.

Also, there is also risk/reward to consider.
We don't know if Mal will be <, >, or = to Ras Andy.
You would be getting a known commodity.

Again, I agree Mon like any other club should milk its D advantage.
We appear to disagree on whether dealing surplus for need makes sense.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Habs will easily keep their players and you can try to move Laf + elsewhere.
You are entitled to your op, but it is not so "easily" decided
LaF has emerged and is a top 5x5 performer.
Gabe P goes much higher in redraft based on what he's shown.

Values are closer than you care to admit.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
You are entitled to your op, but it is not so "easily" decided
LaF has emerged and is a top 5x5 performer.
Gabe P goes much higher in redraft based on what he's shown.

Values are closer than you care to admit.
Value aside i have no interest in trading
Guhle + Rein + Barron for LaF + Gabe P + Lindgren.
I don't think many would do that trade unless your a Rangers fan.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Would love to have him on the Habs, he's a very good Dman, who will/would understandably return a hefty price.

But there's yet too many interrogation points on the Habs to entertain someone like Andersson IMO, as he turns UFA in 2 years, where I think we'll barely be a bubble team (unless those interrogation points proves everyone wrong, of course).

Unless Hughes manages to rob someone still, I think he'll aim at reclamation projects like Laine til next year, and Andersson is nothing of the sort.

Just not sure the timeline is right.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You seem to like him so why not offer up Laf + for Rasmus?
b'c Rs were stupid, did not listen to bern, and did idiotic win now rental moves, and as a result should be extra careful about moving higher picks atm

Also, while Ras is primo, LaF upside is higher. Your continued criminal underrating of him does not change that reality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad