Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 1.12.21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
When I see Miller, I imagine his peak point totals might look similar to 2005-2012 Bouwmeester. I think he’ll get his points.

Will he hit 50? Unsure.

That might be arbitrary point cutoff that certain fans establish (kind of like 30 goals and 60 points for forwards). But I think he could hover right around there, maybe a shade below.
He has the shot to have 10+ goals annually. Whether he has an opportunity to do that or reach the 30+ assist number I think will be largely predicated on his PP time. I don't know how that will work out for him in the next several years on our club. His offensive game isn't dissimilar from Trouba, so if they want that kind of look I would expect them to just go with Jacob.

Who knows, though. I do agree that his skills indicate 30-40 points potential and possible a little more. I was mainly speaking to the Staal comparison earlier, which is pretty reasonable in terms of his defense, but not his offensive abilities. The defense is accurate with the ranginess, active stick, strength in the corners, edginess without being a true thumper or scrapper, etc.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
no D-man scores 50 points without solid PP time. And we have DeAngelo and Fox already.
Yeah. IDK of DeAngelo is here after this current deal expires but even then, if Trouba maintains his skill, then I would imagine they go with Miller over Trouba on the PP. Unless they want them both out there. Of course you would have to factor in potentially a Nils Lundkvist, Tarmo Reunanen, Zac Jones in a few years, anyone established acquired, etc.

Not sure there will be a ton of PP opportunity for Miller. His best asset on the PP is the shot.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah. IDK of DeAngelo is here after this current deal expires but even then, if Trouba maintains his skill, then I would imagine they go with Miller over Trouba on the PP. Unless they want them both out there. Of course you would have to factor in potentially a Nils Lundkvist, Tarmo Reunanen, Zac Jones in a few years, anyone established acquired, etc.

Not sure there will be a ton of PP opportunity for Miller. His best asset on the PP is the shot.
no D-man scores 50 points without solid PP time. And we have DeAngelo and Fox already.

I’m skeptical too. Being left handed also works against Miller’s chances of getting PP time with the Rangers.

Reactions: nyr2k2

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Because most successful PP systems are run with right handers on the blue line and left circle. The Rangers PP is working and they have plenty existing and more additional upcoming right handed options, enough for both PP units.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Because most successful PP systems are run with right handers on the blue line and left circle. The Rangers PP is working and they have plenty existing and more additional upcoming right handed options, enough for both PP units.
If most successful PPs have a righty at the blue line, I think that's coincidental. I can't imagine what advantage it would be by itself. As long as Panarin is here, and more gets run through the left wall than not, I think it would be more advantageous for a lefty at the point (however, I don't think Lindgren is ready for that!).

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
If most successful PPs have a righty at the blue line, I think that's coincidental. I can't imagine what advantage it would be by itself. As long as Panarin is here, and more gets run through the left wall than not, I think it would be more advantageous for a lefty at the point (however, I don't think Lindgren is ready for that!).

Something to do with the hand most goalies catch the puck with maybe? idk for sure

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I don’t think it’s so much about having the righty up top. So much of this really depends on who you’re trying to filter picks to and where they’re at. For our case with Zibanejad playing the OV role, having a righty up top does make sense as they’ll be feeding him on their forehand.

Quinn won’t do it, but they should really let Lafreniere play that role on the other side with the top unit. He can rip it pretty good which will only give opponents more to deal with. Strome isn’t bad on the PP, but his spot would be better served with a lefty.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I don’t think it’s so much about having the righty up top. So much of this really depends on who you’re trying to filter picks to and where they’re at. For our case with Zibanejad playing the OV role, having a righty up top does make sense as they’ll be feeding him on their forehand.

Quinn won’t do it, but they should really let Lafreniere play that role on the other side with the top unit. He can rip it pretty good which will only give opponents more to deal with. Strome isn’t bad on the PP, but his spot would be better served with a lefty.
Zibanejad has been mostly in the bumper spot since Panarin came over.

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
He has the shot to have 10+ goals annually. Whether he has an opportunity to do that or reach the 30+ assist number I think will be largely predicated on his PP time. I don't know how that will work out for him in the next several years on our club. His offensive game isn't dissimilar from Trouba, so if they want that kind of look I would expect them to just go with Jacob.

Who knows, though. I do agree that his skills indicate 30-40 points potential and possible a little more. I was mainly speaking to the Staal comparison earlier, which is pretty reasonable in terms of his defense, but not his offensive abilities. The defense is accurate with the ranginess, active stick, strength in the corners, edginess without being a true thumper or scrapper, etc.

Funny I don't really so much Staal in Miller. Ironically, Robertson tends to remind me more of Staal from a style and attributes perspective.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I think ADA probably gets moved and might not have a ton of overlap with Miller. But with or without him, I don't know if I see Miller necessarily running a power play unit. So to your point, that could very well be a factor.

I think that could also be what throws people off who don't follow Miller or the Rangers closely.

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Don’t think it’s a coincidence. Depending on a setup PP needs at least two righties in the unit.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Not exactly a thing of beauty but it was nice how he held onto the puck on the line and there's always something to be said for getting pucks on net.

It doesn't look fancy, but shaking that forward at the blue line and getting that shot through traffic was *chefs kiss*

I've watched a ton of players during the WJC try to re-write the laws of physics by thinking that they can blast a puck through a defender directly in front of them. Give me this over that any day.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Jones finished with 6 shots, a game high.

That Matt Kessel has 12 points is amazing. He's never been a scorer, and honestly he's kind of a slug out there. I haven't watched UMass this season but unless something dramatic changed, the only thing he had to contribute was a big shot.

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Is Zac Jones a similar player to ADA? Or at least his potential?
I don't think he has the offensive potential. Partly because his skating is probably just average at the NHL level. He can't zip around like Tony.

He should be better defensively. He makes better reads and decisions. He's not a gambler like Tony. He's not big or particularly strong but makes smart plays and generally doesn't try to do too much. I haven't really seen him completely misjudge a gap like Tony is prone to do.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Jones will never play a game for the Rangers. Good trade bait though. Rangers are going to get much bigger on defense over the next 2-3 years. That's what you need to do in order to win cups. Left side should be Miller, Lindgren and Robertson for quite some time. Or maybe Hajek if he breaks out this or next year. Though, that's looking less likely now. Schneider to me is going to be a kid that will need very little AHL time. I would not be surprised to see him make the team next year. He's 19 so I believe he will be eligible to play next year in the AHL. Not sure. A lot of teams for many years are going to regret letting him slip to where the Rangers drafted him. For a player that is as physical as he is he gets very few penalties. I hope he's taking boxing lessons. If you are going to throw big hits in the NHL, there are still lots of morons that will try to fight you to look good to their teammates. Ask Lindgren.

Reactions: leetch99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad