Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 1.12.21)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
I just think we're waaaay too early for that.

Kravtsov really isn't busting yet. What he is doing is providing doubts as to whether he's going hit the high-end ceiling people hoped for.

But there are many levels between high-end ceiling and failure. It's not that black and white.
Didn’t one of the pundits have him as the #1 prospect outside the nhl at one point? The hype was real. Not seeing the high end ceiling right now is disappointing, especially for another top 10 pick.

Reactions: bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Didn’t one of the pundits have him as the #1 prospect outside the nhl at one point? The hype was real. Not seeing the high end ceiling right now is disappointing, especially for another top 10 pick.
I think that was Craig button of TSN but could be mistaken.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Lindbum has given up 5 goals on 24 shots through 2.
My goodness it’s seems like 9 out of 10 news updates regarding our prospects have been depressing lately. I hope Robertson and Cuylle can somehow break the stretch of mediocre to bad second round picks. I know we haven’t had a plethora of second round picks but last good one was 2008 (Stepan)

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Should this club do a double take on their European - in particular, their Swedish scouting? Outside of Lundkvist, it seems that pretty much everyone has been disappointing thus far. I’m not going to criticize the organization if they miss on a late pick, but Lias, Lindbom, Henriksson, Ragnarsson, Tarnstrom etc... have mostly all been underperforming. I’m not expecting every kid to make it, nor do I expect every kid to come flying out of the gates but it would be nice to see a few guys meeting or exceeding expectations.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Should this club do a double take on their European - in particular, their Swedish scouting? Outside of Lundkvist, it seems that pretty much everyone has been disappointing thus far. I’m not going to criticize the organization if they miss on a late pick, but Lias, Lindbom, Henriksson, Ragnarsson, Tarnstrom etc... have mostly all been underperforming. I’m not expecting every kid to make it, nor do I expect every kid to come flying out of the gates but it would be nice to see a few guys meeting or exceeding expectations.

Ragnarsson and Tärnström are 3rd round picks. Hardly selections where you can expect the world

Reactions: kovazub94

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Ragnarsson and Tärnström are 3rd round picks. Hardly selections where you can expect the world

I was getting at players selected in the first two or three rounds. Sure, they aren’t all going to hit. You’d expect some guys to start slow and perhaps some others to come out of the gate strong. Outside of Lundkvist the European selections - particularly in Sweden - have underwhelmed as of late.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I was getting at players selected in the first two or three rounds. Sure, they aren’t all going to hit. You’d expect some guys to start slow and perhaps some others to come out of the gate strong. Outside of Lundkvist the European selections - particularly in Sweden - have underwhelmed as of late.

I've been impressed with Pajuniemi, Reunanen, Själin as well. Henriksson hasn't been bad, unless you look at production only and think that tells the whole story. Not saying he's impressed me to the point where I am super excited, but he's not having a bad season, context matters.

Reactions: kovazub94

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
They probably shouldn't have been thirds. I know in the third round "reach" becomes a relative term, but depending on where you looked Tärnström's aggregate rank was 127-140 (fifth round) and most people had Ragnarsson graded out as a fifth or sixth. Lindbom is another reach. Really since we drafted Fast in 2010, the only Swedish player we've picked that currently inspires confidence is Lundkvist.

1st: L. Andersson
2nd: Henriksson, Lindbom
3rd: Tärnström, Ragnarsson, Kovacs
4th: Bernhardt, C. Andersson
5th: Sjalin
6th: Edstrom, Kjellberg
7th: Ollas

Obviously the verdict is still out on some of these guys, particularly the younger ones like Tärnström and Henriksson, but if I were a betting man I'd put money on one NHL player emerging from that group (Lundkvist).

I love the Swedish program and wish we'd take more Swedish players. That said, we maybe haven't done such a great job choosing the right Swedes.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
They probably shouldn't have been thirds. I know in the third round "reach" becomes a relative term, but depending on where you looked Tärnström's aggregate rank was 127-140 (fifth round) and most people had Ragnarsson graded out as a fifth or sixth. Lindbom is another reach. Really since we drafted Fast in 2010, the only Swedish player we've picked that currently inspires confidence is Lundkvist.

1st: L. Andersson
2nd: Henriksson, Lindbom
3rd: Tärnström, Ragnarsson, Kovacs
4th: Bernhardt, C. Andersson
5th: Sjalin
6th: Edstrom, Kjellberg
7th: Ollas

Yeah, in both situations there were much more enticing prospects on the board IMO.

Kovacs was ranked 10th among EU skaters in his draft year. Him being there in the 2nd round I can understand them taking a flyer on him. Sucks that he has shit for brains and a criminal record at age 24.

Lindbom we have discussed at length. No need to waste time there.

Bernhardt was a 2nd year eligible who had a life-threatening injury and had to retire from hockey. bad luck.

Calle Andersson, eh. Not a great pick even on draft day.

Själin had his fair share of injuries but the talent was there. It might be too late but I still hold out hope they offer him an ELC to replace Raddysh or Crawley in Hartford.

Edström and Kjellberg were, in hindsight, decent picks that late in the draft.

Ollas is just a big goalie. Who knows what that turns into.

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah, in both situations there were much more enticing prospects on the board IMO.

Kovacs was ranked 10th among EU skaters in his draft year. Him being there in the 2nd round I can understand them taking a flyer on him. Sucks that he has shit for brains and a criminal record at age 24.

Lindbom we have discussed at length. No need to waste time there.

Bernhardt was a 2nd year eligible who had a life-threatening injury and had to retire from hockey. bad luck.

Calle Andersson, eh. Not a great pick even on draft day.

Själin had his fair share of injuries but the talent was there. It might be too late but I still hold out hope they offer him an ELC to replace Raddysh or Crawley in Hartford.

Edström and Kjellberg were, in hindsight, decent picks that late in the draft.

Ollas is just a big goalie. Who knows what that turns into.
Yeah I don't mean to trash them all or say they were all bad picks. I think several were good picks, ones I liked at the time, and were definitely in line with the "consensus" on where a guy should go. And honestly with guys like Själin and Edström, that they're even semi-legitimate prospects is good. I still do hold out hope for both, as well of course for Tärnström and Henriksson.

This is what's amazing, though--the ten years before that.

1st: None
2nd: None
3rd: Jonasen
4th: None
5th: None
6th: Fast, Hagelin
7th: Petterstrom, Lundqvist

In 11 drafts we somehow only drafted four Swedish players. And from that, one became one of the top goaltenders in the history of the game, and two became fantastic role players who will probably combine to play over 1500 NHL games.

Maybe our recent lack of luck with Swedish prospects is just regression to the mean. :laugh:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah I don't mean to trash them all or say they were all bad picks. I think several were good picks, ones I liked at the time, and were definitely in line with the "consensus" on where a guy should go. And honestly with guys like Själin and Edström, that they're even semi-legitimate prospects is good. I still do hold out hope for both, as well of course for Tärnström and Henriksson.

In 11 drafts we somehow only drafted four Swedish players. And from that, one became one of the top goaltenders in the history of the game, and two became fantastic role players who will probably combine to play over 1500 NHL games.

Maybe our recent lack of luck with Swedish prospects is just regression to the mean. :laugh:

It ebs and flows. After some bad experiences with Jessiman, Sanguinetti and McIlrath, I understand their shift to a different region. It took until the hiring of Steve Konowalchuk to draft a guy from the WHL again relatively high. They have seriously revamped their NA scouting by hiring Davidson's extended family (LOL) and seem to have taken a step in the opposite direction. Going with Schneider and Cuylle in the 1st and 2nd round is definitely something different.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Ciccolini was back in the lineup. He was ostensibly the 1RW with Beecher at C and Pastujov at LW. Michigan is incredibly deep with a fantastic freshman class and they really spread it out. I mean they can go Beecher-Bordeleau-Brisson-Beniers down the middle. Talk about Killer B's. They could also throw Kent Johnson out there at C, too. So that's three centers who were first round picks and two who will be first round picks. It's bonkers. I saw a headline somewhere, didn't read the article, but it was titled, "Does Michigan have the best recruiting class ever?" or something very similar.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Ciccolini was back in the lineup. He was ostensibly the 1RW with Beecher at C and Pastujov at LW. Michigan is incredibly deep with a fantastic freshman class and they really spread it out. I mean they can go Beecher-Bordeleau-Brisson-Beniers down the middle. Talk about Killer B's. They could also throw Kent Johnson out there at C, too. So that's three centers who were first round picks and two who will be first round picks. It's bonkers. I saw a headline somewhere, didn't read the article, but it was titled, "Does Michigan have the best recruiting class ever?" or something very similar.
Hopefully for their sake they can do more with it than Wisconsin did with theirs

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Lundkvist had a secondary assist and was +1 with 4 shots in 18:55.

Sjalin had 3 shots and 4 hits in 19:16.

Edstrom was -1 in 11:25.

Ragnarsson was -1 in 9:32.

Kravtsov had a goal on one shot and played 20+.

Rykov had an assist and was +1 in 14:32.

Reactions: bl02

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

I remember being PUMPED on Jonasen. Christer Rockstrom special.

Reactions: E-Train and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Ciccolini has no points and was -1 in a 9-5 loss.

My boy Brisson has 2-5-7 in 8 to start his career. That's the guy we should have taken with our other first.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

My boy Brisson has 2-5-7 in 8 to start his career. That's the guy we should have taken with our other first.

We wouldn't have the Davidson celebration on draft night if we would have gone with Brisson though

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ

giphy.gif

No points when 5 goals scored, but only a -1 when 9 allowed.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I just think we're waaaay too early for that.

Kravtsov really isn't busting yet. What he is doing is providing doubts as to whether he's going hit the high-end ceiling people hoped for.

But there are many levels between high-end ceiling and failure. It's not that black and white.

If he ends up a 40-50 point winger like Buchnevich I'll consider that an absolute win.

Prospects are prospects for a reason. They wont all pan out. A couple years back when we had Hajek, Rykov, Lindgren added at LD and Chytil, Andersson, Howden added at center I said that if 1 of each group of 3 made it that would be sufficient. Any more would be a bonus. Thats what we got, and thats what I hope for out of...

Jones/Miller/Robertson/Reaunanen (2 would be amazing)

and

Kravtsov/Pajuniemi/Henriksson/Vierling

Although the new LD group looks a lot better than the F group. I'm assuming Kakko and Lafreniere are blue chips here.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
If he ends up a 40-50 point winger like Buchnevich I'll consider that an absolute win.

I would not be thrilled with drafting Pavel Buchnevich with a top 10 pick. At all.

I think people are a lot more calm right now because we just won the lottery two years in a row. Our drafting has otherwise been dreadful.

(I still think VK can be a much better player than Buchnevich. I don’t think he’s a very impressive player.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad