Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Have you folks ever looked at the breakdown of the 5 on 5 goals against Hughes depending on the score?

Because in the lead he’s -2, within one he’s -5, and trailing he’s -16.

He’s getting scored on when his bad team is behind chasing the game. Again I don’t think this kid is prime Duncan Keith but he’s not awful and a lot of the numbers are circumstantial. He will always be small but I don’t see him as a guy who doesn’t know what he’s doing, he’s a guy that was asked to do a lot for a bad team and he suffered for it.

And for context his number one partner when trailing is Tyler Myers ie the player even the biggest homers choose as the first guy the team needs to get rid of.
Why do we still employ Tyler Minors

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Why do we still employ Tyler Minors
Because with him we are neck and neck with any team in spending cap on defence

t3pvoy7o64o61.jpg

Reactions: Jack Burton

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
New Jersey has the 3rd highest per capita income, highest average income and is the 5th most educated state. It is not remotely "Armpit of America". People that actually believe that are completely clueless.

upload_2021-9-20_0-27-13.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2021-9-20_0-25-23.jpeg
    upload_2021-9-20_0-25-23.jpeg
    13.4 KB · Views: 4

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
NJ gets a bad wrap as Hollywood's punchline. In truth, it's full of pricey commuter suburbs to NYC and Philly. Also home to pharmaceutical giants like Merck, J&J, Celgene and Bayer.
Just to pop in explain the “armpit” thing, it’s not a general description, it’s referring to some infamous sections of the New Jersey Turnpike.

Between NYC & Newark, the Turnpike will take you through bleak empty areas w/refineries, waste treatment plants, incinerators etc. The most robust area is roughly around Elizabeth, NJ. While this is subjective, the odor can be best described as a blend of burning rubbing rubber and farts.

This is a pretty common phenomenon in the US, driving through an industrial area and having it not smell great. But this area is between the biggest US city and the 16th busiest airport so it’s always got a unique amount of attention.

And the Turnpike has a few other lively odor areas. New Jersey the most densely populated state in the US, it’s has smaller cities and a just a ton suburbia. Along the Turnpike is land no one can live on, so that’s the other ungodly stuff goes. And a lot of it is marshlands, so when then they dump crap there, that can add to the olfactory wonder of it all. And yes, that why they called old Meadowlands Arena (of various names) “The Swamp”.

That’s not life in NJ, no one lives in those areas. And, no, Newark doesn’t smell either. The younger players typically live in places like Jersey City, which is on the Hudson across from NYC. Players w/ families live in a expensive Suburban area.

For what it’s worth, I think Jack has an older brother/baby brother thing going with Luke. He’s seems a little protective of him. Obviously that element isn’t there with Quinn. I doubt NJ is on his radar right now and people are being weird about it.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Just to pop in explain the “armpit” thing, it’s not a general description, it’s referring to some infamous sections of the New Jersey Turnpike.

Between NYC & Newark, the Turnpike will take you through bleak empty areas w/refineries, waste treatment plants, incinerators etc. The most robust area is roughly around Elizabeth, NJ. While this is subjective, the odor can be best described as a blend of burning rubbing rubber and farts.

This is a pretty common phenomenon in the US, driving through an industrial area and having it not smell great. But this area is between the biggest US city and the 16th busiest airport so it’s always got a unique amount of attention.

And the Turnpike has a few other lively odor areas. New Jersey the most densely populated state in the US, it’s has smaller cities and a just a ton suburbia. Along the Turnpike is land no one can live on, so that’s the other ungodly stuff goes. And a lot of it is marshlands, so when then they dump crap there, that can add to the olfactory wonder of it all. And yes, that why they called old Meadowlands Arena (of various names) “The Swamp”.

That’s not life in NJ, no one lives in those areas. And, no, Newark doesn’t smell either. The younger players typically live in places like Jersey City, which is on the Hudson across from NYC. Players w/ families live in a expensive Suburban area.

For what it’s worth, I think Jack has an older brother/baby brother thing going with Luke. He’s seems a little protective of him. Obviously that element isn’t there with Quinn. I doubt NJ is on his radar right now and people are being weird about it.
Isnt that French statue lady with the hat on an island technically in New Jersey?? Sure looks like it on Google maps

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Looks like he was about to cry, Canucks are so mean to my brother, boo hoo.
Sweet Jesus this is like a sarcastic post I was gonna post imitating Benning supporters but here is the real deal post :laugh:

100% Hughes brother is correct here, unfortunately

Reactions: Oilers In Tree

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
Sweet Jesus this is like a sarcastic post I was gonna post imitating Benning supporters but here is the real deal post :laugh:

100% Hughes brother is correct here, unfortunately

Oh true - it was sarcastic, just waiting for the signings.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

I think it's incredibly naive to think that the Hughes brothers wouldn't absolutely love to play on the same team.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I think it's incredibly naive to think that the Hughes brothers wouldn't absolutely love to play on the same team.

There are a lot of variables that would have to check out for Q. Hughes to find his way in Jersey with his brothers. I find it just as naive to think it's as simple as what the Hughes brothers would 'absolutely love'.

BrilliantBroReferee

May 18, 2021
Fair
He would know what a bad team looks like
Jack is right and just burried Jimbo stans around the world. He must also hate Jimbo to say such things. He must be a Mike Gillis fan :laugh:

Just watch out for the posters who will attack him, and you will also find the closet Jimbo fans on this board.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
There are a lot of variables that would have to check out for Q. Hughes to find his way in Jersey with his brothers. I find it just as naive to think it's as simple as what the Hughes brothers would 'absolutely love'.

...and one of those variables (a big one) would be dissatisfaction with his contract status here in "alien" Canada. Hey keep whistling past that graveyard, I'm betting Hughes isn't here in 5 years...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad