Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think it's incredibly naive to think that the Hughes brothers wouldn't absolutely love to play on the same team.

They are competitive kids and will do what's best for themselves personally. Jack had a chance to join Quinn in Michigan and chose not to. Unless Jack believed he would be joining Quinn in Vancouver, that was an opportunity to play with his brother that he gave up.

Regardless, the Hughes brothers are under team control for quite a while and a lot can change. Maybe Quinn will meet a girl here and she wouldn't want to live in New Jersey. Maybe by the time Jack is a UFA he would want to come to Vancouver.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
...and one of those variables (a big one) would be dissatisfaction with his contract status here in "alien" Canada. Hey keep whistling past that graveyard, I'm betting Hughes isn't here in 5 years...

That's a reach in thought. Assuming you know Hughes' opinion of Canada (which you dont); and also assuming all Americans are dissatisfied with this alien country (also stupid); Thinking that this is a bigger variable than:
1) New Jersey CAP flexibility - this would also have to align with the end of Hughes' contract AND Jersey having the flexibility to add his salary in that time frame.
2) New Jersey's desire to acquire an offensive d-man in the first place
3) Hughes wants to play in New Jersey with his brothers.

There's definitely more than just this. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of you calling someone naive about Hughes wanting out whilst you ignore the flip side of the coin which actually has more variables that need to be met at the same time. I don't know this fear of losing Hughes to Jersey is such a reach.

Also, making comments like 'amerikkka' isn't funny- it's ignorant.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
That's a reach in thought. Assuming you know Hughes' opinion of Canada (which you dont); and also assuming all Americans are dissatisfied with this alien country (also stupid); Thinking that this is a bigger variable than:
1) New Jersey CAP flexibility - this would also have to align with the end of Hughes' contract AND Jersey having the flexibility to add his salary in that time frame.
2) New Jersey's desire to acquire an offensive d-man in the first place
3) Hughes wants to play in New Jersey with his brothers.

There's definitely more than just this. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of you calling someone naive about Hughes wanting out whilst you ignore the flip side of the coin which actually has more variables that need to be met at the same time. I don't know this fear of losing Hughes to Jersey is such a reach.

Also, making comments like 'amerikkka' isn't funny- it's ignorant.

You know what's ignorant? The KKK which in any other country would be considered a terrorist organization...

Vaughan Cunningham

Sep 15, 2021
American like to play in Amerikkka which is one reason why I think Hughes won't last long here. Ditto for Boeser...

don’t lump me in with your sentiments. My comments were regarding Matt Tkachuk and Jack Hughes and their need to throw their two cents in regarding their brothers’ contract negotiations. They have big mouths and should probably STFU. The Canucks have had lots of American players over the years who’ve enjoyed their time here. Players usually get pissed and want to leave when the team isn’t competitive. It isn’t an American thing.

Benning is on the clock. He has this year to get the team in the playoffs and win a round or two. They kinda need the kids here to hit the ground running.

Reactions: MarkMM

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
They showed replays in the last game of Hughes skating gingerly and looking uncomfortable against Detroit. Looked like maybe he tweaked a groin?

The missed camp groin injury. Very common.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
How long do you think he will be out?

No clue. Just that it’s an injury that seems to be common to guys that miss camp or come back into the lineup after a long layoff. They fed him a crap ton of minutes those first few games as well.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
No clue. Just that it’s an injury that seems to be common to guys that miss camp or come back into the lineup after a long layoff. They fed him a crap ton of minutes those first few games as well.
Ah ok. I was wondering how long we get to limit test the "quality" of our depth d.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
To me the biggest difference is his acceleration looks much better this year. His straight line speed didn’t look as quick last year. Looking great to start the year and never doubted he’d bounce back.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
Hughes is our best and most important player. He looks like he wants the challenge of being better defensively and is not satisfied with being just a great offensive defenseman.

I'm so glad we have him locked up for the next 6 years.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Hughes has looked great, I think he was thrown to the wolves last year, with no partner to start year than a weak forward roster that could not control play and no other dominate dman to anchor other pairing. This year Poolman has been solid, OEL anchoring a top pair. and we have forward depth. This is a much better situation for him. Dmen always look better on good teams especially offensive dmen.

Reactions: Bourdon

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
Demko is our best and most important player.
I tend to view the goaltending position as a separate entity in and of itself. Like, you can't have bad goaltending if you want to win, but you don't need a great goalie because a great defense will make a goalie's stats great. Demko makes a shit defense look passable as an elite goalie in this league.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Hughes is our best and most important player. He looks like he wants the challenge of being better defensively and is not satisfied with being just a great offensive defenseman.

I'm so glad we have him locked up for the next 6 years.

Demko is our best and most important player.

You guys are funny.

It should be pretty obvious who is the best player on our team, a bad 5 game start should not change that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad