Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
Although he'll always be known for his skating, the thing that really stands out to me is the accuracy of his passes. I've never seen a player that can so consistently make a crisp breakout pass to the tape of a teammate waiting 2 zones away while under pressure from the forecheck.

Reactions: mriswith and clay

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Although he'll always be known for his skating, the thing that really stands out to me is the accuracy of his passes. I've never seen a player that can so consistently make a crisp breakout pass to the tape of a teammate waiting 2 zones away while under pressure from the forecheck.

Agreed. His passes are so crisp and are unbelievably accurate. Very rarely misses the tape.

He has made me eat crow so far as I wasn't a fan of the deal based on his horrific year last year defensively. His poor contract year last year likely worked in this team's favor in the long run.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indiana and Pip

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Throughout this brutal season put together by the lousy GM Jim Benning, one thing that has stood out POSITIVELY is Quinn Hughes who right now is tied with a fox for FIRST in the nhl for assists for a dman. Tied for THIRD overall in points for a dman too

Man I love this player :yo:

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Throughout this brutal season put together by the lousy GM Jim Benning, one thing that has stood out POSITIVELY is Quinn Hughes who right now is tied with a fox for FIRST in the nhl for assists for a dman. Tied for THIRD overall in points for a dman too

Man I love this player :yo:

Reminds me of Boeser last year. A little bit of light in a pile of trash

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'll give Boeser a pass since he played probably the best hockey of his career last year and according to drance is still not playing at 100%.

I want to give Boeser a pass but I can't. The issue I have with Boeser is that when healthy, over 82 games he's a 30+ goal scorer. He's worth $7-7.5M AAV with that type of consistent production. The problem is that anything that affects his skating and he's not good. He can even be bad.

So on the one hand why wouldn't you commit long term to a 25 year old RW who when healthy is a 30+ goal scorer over 82 games? On the other hand, any injuries that affect his skating renders him a 3rd line player essentially.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hughes is almost the only reason for actually watching the Canucks play these days.....along with maybe Miller and Demko some nights.

Despite missing a lot of training camp and signing a big-ticket contract, he hasn't missed a beat. Unlike Pettersson who seems to have wilted under the spotlight, Hughes just keeps getting better. Truly a special, special player.

Reactions: bh53

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
His play this season has really put the Krug and Barrie comparisons to bed. They were fair comparisons as far as potential career trajectories this offseason. But now it's more Paul Coffey or Scott Neidermayer. Okay, he has to play like he has been for a few more games before he's the next Scott Neidermayer, but right now he's playing like a perennial Norris candidate.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
His play this season has really put the Krug and Barrie comparisons to bed. They were fair comparisons as far as potential career trajectories this offseason. But now it's more Paul Coffey or Scott Neidermayer. Okay, he has to play like he has been for a few more games before he's the next Scott Neidermayer, but right now he's playing like a perennial Norris candidate.

I'm not one to wish away time, but seeing Hughes at age 27-30 is going to be a real treat.
I really do see Neidermayer, Coffey, D. Keith in young Huggy, but he just needs a bit more man strength - which will come with time.

With how confident he is with the puck, I can just imagine what he'll be doing as a grizzled veteran for this team.

Reactions: alternate

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver

The Paul Coffey comparisons were there before he ever played an NHL game, and had me hyped up the summer before his first game. It's been so freakin' cool to see him living up to them, because so often a lot of these comparisons people throw out -- even experienced hockey media people -- can be very, shall we say, 'enthusiastic'. haha

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
There was a lot of buzz, and rightly so, about Miller's great pass to Horvat for the winning goal, but Hughes had to bat down a flinty pass at the blue line from Horvat, and fire it over to Miller. That save at the line really impressed me.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad