Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
Are you a Sharks fan trolling here?

First a Redwings fan, and now this guy. Seriously I get there aren't many games going, but stay in your own damn forums if you're going to say stupid crap.
He's showing quite the attitude for a player that can't be counted on to play defense. Comments like his don't usually go over well with team mates who are getting hammered in the corners because Hughes won't go in, or guys who are blocking shots while Hughes stands off to the side waiting for someone to recover pucks for him.
P.S - I'm a Canuck fan first and foremost, but this kids comments are so short sighted, they remind me of Evander Kane.

Oh Yeah, and then you have his brother saying Hughes is carrying a crappy team on his back. These Hughes' are all full of unearned attitude.

Last edited:

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Maybe, but so is Hughes.
It was just a joke…

but I don’t see anything at all douchy in what Hughes said, especially without hearing the question and answer in audio form.

my guess is that your perception of him has not changed at all, and you have always not liked his confident arrogance

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
He's showing quite the attitude for a player that can't be counted on to play defense. Comments like his don't usually go over well with team mates who are getting hammered in the corners because Hughes won't go in, or guys who are blocking shots while Hughes stands off to the side waiting for someone to recover pucks for him.
P.S - I'm a Canuck fan first and foremost, but this kids comments are so short sighted, they remind me of Evander Kane.

this is arguably the dumbest comment in this entire thread

a comment taking about his improvement in the offseason in a part of his game and you’re comparing him to Evander kane?

Da Fuq?

why would his teammates possibly take offense to this comment?

-leads his team in plus minus
-His underlying defensive numbers have improved from last season
-He’s killing penalties after he asked the coach to do so

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017

Oh Yeah, and then you have his brother saying Hughes is carrying a crappy team on his back. These Hughes' are all full of unearned attitude.
Okay, I get that and you're totally entitled to your opinion. Sorry I don't know why I thought you were a sharks fan lol.

I used to think this was a negative thing about QH, but after seeing how harsh hockey media can be in Canada, and seeing Elias shrivel into a shell of his former self....I'm glad he tries to put on a thick skin.

Your comment about his defense was valid last year, I was totally in agreement; but this year he has had a huge turnaround. The only player that has played better defensively is OEL.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
IMac loves Hughes, as does Garrett and obviously you guys too. I think he's been getting the princess treatment from the Green all year, Boudreau not so much (which is good). This whole team compromises themselves for the benefit of Hughes, especially defensively. I think the guy should show some humility.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Personally, I think a guy who can recognize deficiencies in his game, work to improve them, and actually improve them, is worthy of respect. And that's what I have for Hughes. Previous to this year I was wondering whether he would become a marginally relied upon offensive defenseman. I no longer wonder.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
IMac loves Hughes, as does Garrett and obviously you guys too. I think he's been getting the princess treatment from the Green all year, Boudreau not so much (which is good). This whole team compromises themselves for the benefit of Hughes, especially defensively. I think the guy should show some humility.

Thats a comment straight out of last season. At that point, people were rightfully questioning his defensive play (though many were far too heavy handed about it, comparing him to clearly worse players), but this season hes been one of our best players in the defensive end while still being a threat offensively. There is no way that Hughes is a detriment to the Canucks this year in any facet of the game. Not 5 on 5, PK, or PP. I couldnt possibly disagree more with this take.

Reactions: Grantham

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Feel like you're just talking out of your ass. Hughes has been a big positive in his own zone this year.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

God what a bad take.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Not only is that a brutal take on Hughes this year, who has drastically improved his play in his own end this year, probably at least as much due to finally adjusting to having a 7th dman like Schenn as his partner instead of Tanev as it is to any other intentional effort...

But it's also a plain wrong read of the quote. His quote says he worked on his defense and he knows he's played well this year. If his play improved but his reputation doesn't change, he's saying that's not his problem to focus on, all he can control is his own play. And he's right.

Are there any other d pairings in the league with as much a gap in skill between the partners and Hughes/Schenn?

Reactions: F A N and elitepete

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Yeah and I think fans should show some humility and reevaluate how they assessed Canucks players over the last x amount of seasons.

There was a tonne of shit that happened behind the scenes that led directly to players playing shitty which led to unfair criticism of players.

Quinn has always been awesome. Our FO has been the opposite for a very very long time.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada

i couldn’t disagree more with this position and can’t be bothered to write a proper rebuttal but I will say that no one compromises themselves for the benefit of Hughes. This is just irrational hate

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The fact that so many fans come TO the Vancouver board and b!tch about Hughes makes me like him even more.

you got countless avalanche fans that were in here, then the rangers fans, a few La kings fans, now this Vegas fan.
Means he is doing something right. :nopity:
Guy barely does press conferences at all, and he finally speaks for the first time in months, and right on queue.

Reactions: WTG and mriswith

overboard

Oct 1, 2020
Vancouver
There's a fine line between cocky and confident and Hughes' comment is more the latter IMO.

Agreed.

He's also still young - and younger players who are getting used to sounding assertive can sometimes sound a bit too over-confident; but I think Hughes is on the right mental path in terms of keeping his game on track.

Elias Pettersson could take a page or two out of Quinn's book.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
What

Did you type this up in September and forget to hit the submit button until now?

disettes

Jan 6, 2022
The fact that so many fans come TO the Vancouver board and b!tch about Hughes makes me like him even more.

you got countless avalanche fans that were in here, then the rangers fans, a few La kings fans, now this Vegas fan.
Means he is doing something right. :nopity:
Guy barely does press conferences at all, and he finally speaks for the first time in months, and right on queue.

Agreed, it's hilarious how riled other fanbases get from his mere existence. (Now, the inferiority complex some of our own fans seem to have developed about him is annoying, but that's a different matter.)

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Hughes played very well this season. As long as he keeps putting points and is decent when he has to defend, i have no problems.
The defence is bad because Jimbo targeted the wrong players in trades/UFA and Juolevi busting. He also left us with no cap to improve the team.
JR first mission is to build the defence. We need 2 Tanev like defenders asap.

@disettes Bro just stop it. Hal is exaggerating but you are also a homer.
Both Makar and Fox are superior players to Hughes. All 3 are great young players but Makar is just special.

disettes

Jan 6, 2022
This is exactly what I mean by how our own fanbase's inferiority complex about Hughes after his legitimately bad season last year is more annoying than other fans being wrong about him. Both advanced stats + eyetest, supports that Hughes is in the same class as Makar and Fox so far this season. Hughes is not better than them, but they are also not a tier above him the way both were last season. And none of those three is the best defenseman in the league, (Hedman/Ekblad/Toews would be my three Norris finalist picks if the season ended today) but to act like Fox and Makar are definitively out of Hughes' weight class the way they were last season is just its own kind of self-deprecating homerism.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad