Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Useless stat.

At the very least, it's no worse than the stat you quoted. I consider it something other than useless that as an 18YO rookie, Orr was +1 even though his team was outscored at even strength by 52 goals.

Quinn Hughes turned 22 years old a couple of months ago. Orr turned 22 late in the 1969-70 season, in which he won the scoring title by a 21-point margin.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
At the very least, it's no worse than the stat you quoted. I consider it something other than useless that as an 18YO rookie, Orr was +1 even though his team was outscored at even strength by 52 goals.

Im just going to ignore your +/- related comments from now on.

Quinn Hughes turned 22 years old a couple of months ago. Orr turned 22 late in the 1969-70 season, in which he won the scoring title by a 21-point margin.

Yes. Orr is a generational talent, Quinn is a tier below.

The level of competition Orr faced is barely professional athletes. Smokers drinkers no summer training. Goaltending wasnt invented yet.

Still Orr is superior.

Quinn is scoring at a historic pace.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I wake up every day thanking the Detroit Red Wings for selecting Filip Zadina.

Quinn Hughes is a superstar, the best Canuck defenseman in franchise history.

Thankyou Detroit

No kidding, right?! Zadina is looking more and more like a bust. Probably going to end up being a third line player for the rest of his career, when the prognosticators were predicting so much more for him.

Meanwhile... Huggy Bear is one of the top players in the league at his position. The redwings gave this team an amazing gift by letting Hughes drop to us.

Reactions: mathonwy

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
No kidding, right?! Zadina is looking more and more like a bust. Probably going to end up being a third line player for the rest of his career, when the prognosticators were predicting so much more for him.

Meanwhile... Huggy Bear is one of the top players in the league at his position. The redwings gave this team an amazing gift by letting Hughes drop to us.
Do not worry we have superior players in Edvinsson and Seider and brighter future.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I wake up every day thanking the Detroit Red Wings for selecting Filip Zadina.

Quinn Hughes is a superstar, the best Canuck defenseman in franchise history.

Thankyou Detroit
GUSTA

This must feel like how Calgary felt after we picked Juolevi in 2016....

Maybe???

Either way it feels great :yo:

Thank you Detroit!

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
He’s a 10-11 million dollar talent being paid 6.85.

Absolute robbery on that contract.

His contract is one that worries me the most though. It takes him right to UFA and if we aren't contenders by then, I could easily see him bolting to play with his bro's in NJ =(

These next 6 years are going to be brutal when it comes to these rumors.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
His contract is one that worries me the most though. It takes him right to UFA and if we aren't contenders by then, I could easily see him bolting to play with his bro's in NJ =(

These next 6 years are going to be brutal when it comes to these rumors.

It's 6 years. That's a solid commitment. Most people here wanted a bridge, looks like they were wrong.

Reactions: elitepete

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Yeah If he got a bridge you're probably looking at 10-11 million deal depending on how much the cap rises in year 3

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
The only thing I think he could work on is his shot. Specifically his wrist shot. If he could pot 10 goals a year or threaten more with his shot, it would take his game to the next level.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
The only thing I think he could work on is his shot. Specifically his wrist shot. If he could pot 10 goals a year or threaten more with his shot, it would take his game to the next level.
He needs to learn how to get his shot through to the net by changing the angle. OEL is decent at it, Erik Karlsson was a god at it.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
To be fair I do think that the Wings and even the yotes are better off than us. I mean the yotes do have a blank canvas to work with and the Wings foundation is looking solid as F. Our foundation I am not sure if it’s even built properly because of Dim. Definitely going to be interesting to see whether JR thinks it’s solid enough to continue building on. I mean it is the guy who built Tampa vs dim. We can’t expect to win that unfortunately. Lol

Also, Zadina was ranked 2nd or 3rd overall by most scouts. I was elated when I thought he would drop to us because I thought the Wings were grabbing Hughes for sure. And I was even more elated when Hughes dropped to us. I would have been happy with Dobson, Bouchard, or Walmart. Kind of disgusting that the isles got two of the three but that’s another story for another time.

That said, I hope I am dead wrong because I am Canucks fan until I die. But unless JR can create some miracles, I do think the Wings win another cup before us unfortunately. Dim Jim just set us back by too much.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
To be fair I do think that the Wings and even the yotes are better off than us. I mean the yotes do have a blank canvas to work with and the Wings foundation is looking solid as F. Our foundation I am not sure if it’s even built properly because of Dim. Definitely going to be interesting to see whether JR thinks it’s solid enough to continue building on. I mean it is the guy who built Tampa vs dim. We can’t expect to win that unfortunately. Lol

Also, Zadina was ranked 2nd or 3rd overall by most scouts. I was elated when I thought he would drop to us because I thought the Wings were grabbing Hughes for sure. And I was even more elated when Hughes dropped to us. I would have been happy with Dobson, Bouchard, or Walmart. Kind of disgusting that the isles got two of the three but that’s another story for another time.

That said, I hope I am dead wrong because I am Canucks fan until I die. But unless JR can create some miracles, I do think the Wings win another cup before us unfortunately. Dim Jim just set us back by too much.
You lost me after your first line about Arizona. Couldn’t read anymore.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Looks like his defensive game has improved so much, that he even gets defensive when given a compliment.

He'll grow out of it. Its a lot of pressure for a kid that young and I think he puts the pressure on himself. The critticism was too much too soon and he knew it.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Right off the bat this season I noticed that QH had improved his slapper..considerably (he barely had any kind of a shot in his first season)..but would agree that he could still improve on his wrist shot..

On a related note ,OEL has a really underrated wrist shot..should utilize it more often.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad