Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
I'm not sure if anyone else has suggested it before but I'd like to see them let Hughes drive the net more. He's their best skater and puck handler. Allow him to be more dynamic in the offensive end with shots closer to the net instead of just a distributor or taking shots near the blue line.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Yea Huggy should be trying to score more goals himself. Looks a bit hesitant to get in with a clear look. Focusing too much on getting back on D. Trust the team to cover for you, if you score, there's no need to backcheck. Green light kid.

If the PP can get it together he will start really putting up the points.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I'm not sure if anyone else has suggested it before but I'd like to see them let Hughes drive the net more. He's their best skater and puck handler. Allow him to be more dynamic in the offensive end with shots closer to the net instead of just a distributor or taking shots near the blue line.

Yea Huggy should be trying to score more goals himself. Looks a bit hesitant to get in with a clear look. Focusing too much on getting back on D. Trust the team to cover for you, if you score, there's no need to backcheck. Green light kid.

If the PP can get it together he will start really putting up the points.

Meh… Somewhat agree, more so disagree.
Hughes has improved his defensive game, I’d prefer that to continue to be the focus.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Quinn Hughes is literally the best defenseman in franchise history right? Like, Jesus Christ. It's hard to think this is still just his 3rd season and he's years away from entering his prime.

Every time I watch him play, I think... thank f*** for John Chayka using his galaxy brain and thinking Barret Hayton was going to be the next big f***ing thing.

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there
Quinn Hughes is literally the best defenseman in franchise history right? Like, Jesus Christ. It's hard to think this is still just his 3rd season and he's years away from entering his prime.

Every time I watch him play, I think... thank f*** for John Chayka using his galaxy brain and thinking Barret Hayton was going to be the next big f***ing thing.

I’d say he’s surpassed Reinhart now. Hard to compare him with Ohlund, though.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I’d say he’s surpassed Reinhart now. Hard to compare him with Ohlund, though.

i don't think reinhart (or jeff brown) is really hughes' goalpost if we're talking about the best canucks defender of all time

for similar role, i'd say he has to clear 2010 and 2011 ehrhoff as the PMD/QB who makes the team run. (imo, he has) in terms of recognition around the league, is he better than people thought jovo was between 2001 and 2003? (i don't think people see him on that level quite yet) but you're right, the real best canucks dman ever is ohlund. such different players, very hard to compare.

Last edited:

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there
i don't think reinhart (or jeff brown) is really hughes' goalpost if we're talking about the best canucks defender of all time

for similar role, i'd say he has to clear 2010 and 2011 ehrhoff as the PMD/QB who makes the team run. (imo, he has) in terms of recognition around the league, is he better than people thought jovo was between 2001 and 2003? (i don't think people see him on that level quite yet) but you're right, the real best canucks dman ever is ohlund. such different players, very hard to compare.

I guess both Ehrhoff and Brown need to be brought up but Reinhart was better than both, IMHO.

Our history of d-men is pretty sad, all things considered. We've never had a defenceman on the level of the Sedins or Bure. Öhland was probably our best and he was a Linden level guy... although I've always thought that without the eye injury he would have been a borderline HOF'er.

Three seasons in, I see Hughes separating himself from the Reinhart, Brown and Ehrhoff type level of offensive guys (never had any use for Kearns) as well as probably being better than the all around guys like Lumme and Jovo. Edler and Öhland are really the only better Canuck defencemen... and largely, only because of their longevity.

I think Hughes is special and if he can stay healthy, it won't be too long before we can comfortably say he's the best ever Canuck defenceman.

Last edited:

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Watching some of the negative highlights, you know when he is scored on.
Apart from often being outmuscled on the boards or in front of the net, I noticed the damnedest thing.
Can Hughes skate backwards?
Sure he can dart around all over the place skating forward but he doesn't appear to be able to skate backwards defending.
He is quite often turning to keep up with an opposing player.

It doesn't look like he can skate backwards very good.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Tho i think his play has started to be a lil rougher the last few games. Schenns too. Maybe theyre both a lil tired

Reactions: Breakers

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
He's a good player, but he needs a strong partner. We'll always struggle for long-term success until we can ice an elite 5 man unit. Our forwards are good enough, it's usually the RD not holding up his end of the bargain.

Basically it's either drafting one of the rare RDs with potential (takes years) or trading. Vancouver would be lucky for a good deal in free agency for RDs...

Hughes is a top 10 D in my opinion. Most talented defenceman in Canuck history, but even Lidstrom needed Rafalski/Chelios beside him to win all those Cups. Most success we had was with Tanev and Quinn in his rookie year, pretty telling.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Extremely disappointed with his season not because of regression but because of lack of effort. Now that he's not a rookie anymore and Green gave him a long-ass leash does he think he's above back-checking? That effort on the 3rd or 4th senators' goal was gross.

My issue exactly way too often he isn't beat due to lack of skill or ability but giving up or just not putting his head down and do the work .

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Re-watch the first game of the season....Hughes was defending excellently against McDavid, taking away his ice and getting in his way. Hughes definitely has warts, but they're exacerbated by the dreadful coaching.

He can skate with almost anyone its so disappointing he keeps making poor decisions and lazy plays best players may get beat but not by quitting a play or being beat by poor decisions and he does too often

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
So quiet in here. The difference in his play from last year to this is light years apart. He did not fade as the season wore on him, and he is the best defensemen the Canucks have had in it's 50+ years of existence, statistically, eye test etc... To me, he has proven himself to be an elite, top pair all situations defenseman, one of the most important piece to build a team around. Echoing the previous poster, got to thank detroit for picking Zadina ahead of QH. His partner who can play 25 mins a night is now priority #1 for this org.

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Hughes had a great season.

Hopefully we see two new top four RD next season, one with room to grow over the years as Hughes partner.

Dayal pointed to the fact that he's put up these results this season with a guy who was a 6/7th defenseman at the start of the season and in Tampa. Imagine if you put him next to Devon Toews (obviously on the ultimate high end of perfect partners but yeah)

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
what a year by quinn

bounced back after a regression year and set the all-time franchise dmen scoring record even though he missed four games and got fffffing COVID

i mean, elias pettersson has never scored more points in a single season as hughes has this year

mmmmfffffffing thomas gradin has never had as many assists in a single season as hughes has this year

and as of tonight's three point game, he's even finally ahead of paul reinhart's single season points/game record, which was set in the fffffing high scoring '80s

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
I remember the days when people were saying he won't ever be a #1 defenceman because he isn't 6'3 and can't play PK.

Quinn Hughes has redefined what a next generation defenceman should be.

Elite skating, high IQ, and zone break outs is what makes a #1 defenceman. If you're obsessed with defenceman clearing the crease, that means you've been hemmed in your own zone for too long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad