Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
My god…. What do you want me to say? Lol. This is me referring to a direct quote from Gretzky about the best defensmen in todays game. I didn’t make the quote lol. He said it. I just posted it.

He said those players becuase those are the games he watched

Haha

“I watched the rangers-Tampa bay game and the Colorado Edmonton game”

Reactions: lawrence

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
judging by this year's play he is not in that tier, I'm secure in saying that. QH may actually agree. But was he set up to excel this year?

Hedman is elite in every way, Makar can score like a forward from the blueline but he is buffered with one of the most underrated partners in the league. Fox really slowed down toward the last quarter when Shesterkin also did the same, Lindgren has been a steady partner with great upside for Fox also, unless the carousel of mediocrity for QH. Josi played out of his mind this year and deserves the Norris. Then its QH for me right on the cusp, with the right partner, he can challenge for 80 points in his prime if Allvin surrounds him with a system with enough talent.

Reactions: Grantham

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Just listened to Gretzky in Spittin Chicklets podcast and he mentioned Makar, Hedman and Fox as amazing defenders. No mention of QH43.
He didn't mention the superiority of a free market in the efficient distribution of resources, either. I never thought I'd see Gretzky enthusiastically endorsing communism, but here we are.

• Haha
Reactions: strattonius

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
My god…. What do you want me to say? Lol. This is me referring to a direct quote from Gretzky about the best defensmen in todays game. I didn’t make the quote lol. He said it. I just posted it.

You made such a big deal about Quinn's +/- before. Now that he's massively improved, crickets.

I suppose going from saying that he was absolutely not worth his contract to saying that he's not a top 3 overall defenseman in the NHL is positive though.

Reactions: bh53

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
You made such a big deal about Quinn's +/- before. Now that he's massively improved, crickets.

I suppose going from saying that he was absolutely not worth his contract to saying that he's not a top 3 overall defenseman in the NHL is positive though.

There you go! Start making positives out of lemonade my man!!!

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
He didn't mention the superiority of a free market in the efficient distribution of resources, either. I never thought I'd see Gretzky enthusiastically endorsing communism, but here we are.

That’s actually not communism but I hate to ruin your joke so I’ll let it slide. That said , In a free market economy, resources are allocated through the interaction of free and self-directed market forces. This means that what to produce is determined consumers, how to produce is determined by producers, and who gets the products depends upon the purchasing power of consumers.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
judging by this year's play he is not in that tier, I'm secure in saying that. QH may actually agree. But was he set up to excel this year?

Hedman is elite in every way, Makar can score like a forward from the blueline but he is buffered with one of the most underrated partners in the league. Fox really slowed down toward the last quarter when Shesterkin also did the same, Lindgren has been a steady partner with great upside for Fox also, unless the carousel of mediocrity for QH. Josi played out of his mind this year and deserves the Norris. Then its QH for me right on the cusp, with the right partner, he can challenge for 80 points in his prime if Allvin surrounds him with a system with enough talent.

QH is in the next tier after all those guys, agreed.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Hey guys any info appreciated:

Any word on Quinn Hughes, Miller, Boeser, Garland, Demko etc playing for Team USA at the World Championships?? Very little is being shown right now, wondering if any reports were given last game? I appreciate it mates-thanks!

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
last 9 games to finish the season, 15 points. He started to regain that nice defensive form as well during that time after slipping a bit after looking fatigued for a stretch.

Did you notice the way the last few games he seemed even faster and was rushing up the ice creating odd man rushes? He was toying with forecheckers with his pivots and head fakes and making them look foolish. His stick handling was also in top form.

Really, alongside Garland, was just dominant down the stretch. One of the happy stories of the year for me.

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
The fact people are disparaging QH because he isn't in the conversation for the Top 3 defenders in the league is a little silly. Who cares if Fox, Makar and Hedman are a cut above at this point. In QH we have a Top 10 defenseman in the NHL locked up for another 5 years at a modest cap hit, and he is only going to get better. Be happy.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Considering half the 1st rounders in 2018 haven't even played a full seasons worth of games yet i think Hughes is doing pretty damn good if were having top defenseman in the league conversations.

Was encouraging to hear about Quinn's emergence as a voice and leader this year in the year end interviews to add to a already impressive desire to be an elite player and winner.

It can seem so cliche some times hearing media and players talk about these things but he backed it up on ice and seems really cognizant and well spoken about his deficiencies and what he needs to work on to get there,

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
I hope this is the most current 'Hughes' thread, but feel free to delete if it isn't. I'm available for pillory duties if need be.

Thought you all might enjoy this a little as you get ready to embark on another season. Personally, I think this is going to be a real year of improvement and coming together in Vancouver, and much of that begins with Hughes.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I hope this is the most current 'Hughes' thread, but feel free to delete if it isn't. I'm available for pillory duties if need be.

Thought you all might enjoy this a little as you get ready to embark on another season. Personally, I think this is going to be a real year of improvement and coming together in Vancouver, and much of that begins with Hughes.

Love the premise of these videos. The best players often have interesting quirks that make up their identity, but you would never know it from most of the highlight videos you can find of them.

Last edited:

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

Just started watching but wanted to say, fabulous fabulous video. I think I watched vids by you on Makar and Fox a couple of years ago.

Love that you don't just show goals and assists but show all of the little plays that illustrate what makes a player tick.

Reactions: Smart Alek

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I think a Norris might be out of reach, but I certainly see him in the mid 70s points wise next year.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Did he get concussed in pre-season or something? He does not look like the Hughes we're accustomed to seeing.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
No way to sugarcoat it.....Four games in and Hughes has been a defensive catastrophe. Maybe it's time to try him as a forward......and hope he morphs into another Johnny Gaudreau.

Problem right now is that once his offense dries up, he's a major liability in his own zone.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
It's been a mixed bag season for Hughes this year. Offensively he's been a beast with a 1.2PPG and 4th among D for 5v5 points well, playing 4-5 fewer games than those ahead of him. Defensively to start the season, he was atrocious, which could be attributed to his injury, and he's comeback being hot and cold on that end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad