Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Outside of Sanderson who’s tbd, you’d have to be a true homer to pick Hughes ahead of any of those other guys

Hard disagree there outside of 30 games this season Hughes has outplayed Dahlin for a majority of their careers and same thing with Seider who had a good rookie season but is slumping this season. Let’s not forget although Seider was a rookie last season he was only drafted 1 year ahead of Hughes.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Congrats Hughes, pretty impressive. Between him and Makar, there's been some re-writing at (or near) the top of the NHL record book. Pretty special to see these 2 phenoms tearing up the league.
If Hughes ever develop an average point shot, he can realistically be a consistent point per game player.
Ya he ought to get quite a return in a trade but then Van fans often either over estimate or way under estimate player values.

The assist thing is weird they didn't used to do as many 2nd assists as now. Orr should have been up there 4 more time but he just kept scoring too many goals instead.

TNT panel was asked who the best defensman under 24 out of

Heiskanen
Seider
Sanderson
Dhalin
Hughes

Not 1 picked Hughes. Just some context that outside of this city he’s not as good as people here think.

This didn’t age well if you watched the game tonight. Kid defends as much as a wet fart.
yep, essentially good on offence and hard work for the team to find playing partners for him, special players.
Could you imagine Hughes playing with Stillman or Poolman :D

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Ummmmm have you watched any games this year? He’s been f***ing horrendous.
I've watched nearly all of them. Defensively, his weakness on the puck if he's trapped by a strong forecheck is at least counterbalanced by his decision-making and ability to get to pucks. I'd rank him a little above average defensively. There is no defenceman on the team I'd rather see get to a puck first.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I wonder if Hughes and his agent are having 'signer's remorse' after reupping with the Canucks through the 2026-27 season.

If Horvat is traded; and Pettersson wants out after next season; and Miller starts aging out, this franchise really doesn't have much a future. If he'd signed shorter term, he might have had a shot at joining his brothers in New Jersey.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Which "one" bad game are you referring to? The one he set up Ovechkin or the one he watched ? on a break away while he was caught in the ozone.

You’re trying to reason with someone who thinks QH43 has been good this year lol. No point.

I've watched nearly all of them. Defensively, his weakness on the puck if he's trapped by a strong forecheck is at least counterbalanced by his decision-making and ability to get to pucks. I'd rank him a little above average defensively. There is no defenceman on the team I'd rather see get to a puck first.

You’re using a very low bar.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
You’re trying to reason with someone who thinks QH43 has been good this year lol. No point.

You’re using a very low bar.
How is noting whether a player is below average, average or above average at a particular skill a low bar? Above average is better than average and better than most other players.

He's brilliant in transition and on offence and better defensively than pretty much any other player that shares his style in any way -- e.g., Tyson Barrie. He's a top-pairing defenceman, if not an all-situations number 1 defenceman, which are incredibly rare.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Hughes was ranked a top 15 Dmen by NHL network and TNT using them as a source to say he really isn’t good isn’t the gotcha moment you think it is.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
TNT panel was asked who the best defensman under 24 out of

Heiskanen
Seider
Sanderson
Dhalin
Hughes

Not 1 picked Hughes. Just some context that outside of this city he’s not as good as people here think.
Sanderson shouldn’t even be on that list

So he’s on a 86assist pace

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Hughes isn’t a problem and we should really appreciate having such a talented young D man apart of the future here. The problem is the rest of the D… it sucks! I love Schenn and everything he brings but he’s a 3rd pairing D man not a 1st pairing guy. Hughes doesn’t have help from his other D partners or the forward group so it’s way too much that’s being placed on him. This management group needs to restructure the D, but I guess that means doing work which they don’t seem to do. Hughes should be as untouchable as Pettersson.

im gangster

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
And yet still 28 points in 29 games.

Our team has major problems...Quinn is the least of those problems. He's not Chris Pronger but he could turn into Scott Niedermayer if they find him a Daneyko.
I think the situation is like maybe you find your Rafalski in Quinn if you can find right handed Scott Stevens to babysit him.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Hughes is playing through something.

I would not make any drastic assesments as to what he is, based on his play this year.

If there is anything to take from this season... He is a point per game player while playing through something that is hindering his biggest asset, his skating.

Reactions: canuckking1

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Hughes is playing through something.

I would not make any drastic assesments as to what he is, based on his play this year.

If there is anything to take from this season... He is a point per game player while playing through something that is hindering his biggest asset, his skating.
Probably a good bet. He's looked off physically.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad