Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
What are the odds that Hughes gets more points than Miller over the next 4 seasons?
Entirely possible, Hughes will be in his peak, and will always take the offensive duties at his position.

The goals may be a bit lopsided though...

65 low, 90 high seems about right for either of them over those years.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
It's weird.

I don't think his play has really been any different than last year (and far, far better than 20-21) but people seem to be really angry about him this year.

I think it's more that hopes of unlimited Norris potential are disappearing as Hughes gets into his mid-20s and his ceiling is being cemented at basically what he is now as a smaller poor man's Erik Karlsson without much of a shot ... which is hardly bad.

Fully agree.

He is one of the only players on the team outperforming their cap hit.

And he played through an injury that was hindering his skating for the first 30 games or so.

Quinntessential

Mar 25, 2013
I’d like to see what he can do with a bonafide top pairing guy as his partner before jumping to conclusions about his ceiling

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
He’s the most valuable asset in this organization. Insane player and hockey brain.
254471.jpg

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The fat's in the fire now.....Quinn Hughes on the post-game show saying the Tanner Pearson injury 'wasn't handled properly'. Apparently Pearson has had three separate surgeries on his hand and is done for the year.

This is reminiscent of Miller calling out the Canuck doctors during the COVID epidemic. My only question,, are other team medical staffs mired in controversy around the NHL? Or is this just a Canuck thing?

If the players can't rely on the medical advise they're getting from the team doctors, then we're in real trouble.

Reactions: bh53

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
The fat's in the fire now.....Quinn Hughes on the post-game show saying the Tanner Pearson injury 'wasn't handled properly'. Apparently Pearson has had three separate surgeries on his hand and is done for the year.

This is reminiscent of Miller calling out the Canuck doctors during the COVID epidemic. My only question,, are other team medical staffs mired in controversy around the NHL? Or is this just a Canuck thing?

If the players can't rely on the medical advise they're getting from the team doctors, then we're in real trouble.
Pretty sure team doctors aren’t surgeons.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
True....but obviously somebody must have assessed the injury and recommended surgery. Now three surgeries later and he's done for the year. There's a disconnect here somewhere.
I mean surgeons tends to have the say when it comes to surgery. I am guessing if anything, the designated surgeons aren’t that good. But if they messed up the 1st time, they had to have gotten more than 1 opinion.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Im pretty sure hand Surgery is quite tricky with all the little bones and tendons that are in your hands

Not a fan of Quinns Defensive play this year and it just reinforces that fact that he is undersized and that is going to be a problem with an already undersized D core

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

It’s at least also a Philly thing

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Whatever you might say about Hughes' play this season, he was 'all world' tonight. His transitioning of the puck was just sublime, and that pass springing Miller on his breakaway was a thing of beauty.

In fact in the last two games, he's been one of the best players on the ice. But sadly, once you get past Hughes, the rest of a the blueline is basically an unholy mess. And one guy can't do it all.

Reactions: boardmangetspaid

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
All of a sudden QH is point per game. A bonafide offensive dynamo. A plus player on a lousy team while playing 25 mins a night in all situations. Because of him and EP, I am hesitant that the club should opt for scorched earth. I hope they are not too late to turn the ship around so as to not waste their primes.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
All of a sudden QH is point per game. A bonafide offensive dynamo. A plus player on a lousy team while playing 25 mins a night in all situations. Because of him and EP, I am hesitant that the club should opt for scorched earth. I hope they are not too late to turn the ship around so as to not waste their primes.

I held pretty firm in the idea that a JT Miller trade could have accelerated a quick turnaround... but that's out the window.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
PPG and leads the team in +\- not to shabby for Quinnton who started the season with an injury.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
maybe this is purely projecting something that isn't really there, but he seems to be carrying himself with as much confidence as i can remember.

i was pretty skeptical at first about giving hughes an A - he never came across as the most vocal guy and the twitter jokes about sad little quinn hughes played a role in that perception. was worried that he'd be distracted as a result of having to take on a leadership role, but he has been thriving recently.

quietly having a breakout campaign similar to his brother's.

Reactions: Coffees

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
When you watch Hughes night after night, you can lose an appreciation for just how brilliant a player he is.

The way he can transition the puck and use his edgework to buy himself time and space, leaves you shaking your head at times. Sure he sometimes makes mistakes. But most of those errors come from trying to do too much and force players that aren't there. But that's just a reflection of how competitive he is and how much he hates to lose.

And others on this board have pointed out, he's the best d-man in franchise history....and it's not really up for debate.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
Should be getting the same love Pettersson is getting. Over PPG playing with 5 ahlers. 5th in the entire league in assists.

Superstar.

There are still plenty on the main board who still think he is not a first pairing dman. So much ignorance.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I thought he dominated the Pastrnak line against Boston, they lost almost every battle against him and just started dumping the puck in when having to skate in on him. So good at using position and leverage to strip pucks from bigger players. They got nothing done when Hughes was on the ice (other than Ullmark scoring the empty netter, haha).

Reactions: Coffees

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad