Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

Quinntessential

Mar 25, 2013
FqJurqKXgBQnNSd
Keep this away from the main board, the hype train can stay quiet until his next extension

Reactions: lawrence

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Keep this away from the main board, the hype train can stay quiet until his next extension
Theres SOME Canucks fans who went to the mainboard defending the Canucks as one of the winners of the TDL. They pump Brock Boeser every time he gets a multi point game, tho this one makes sense. Been calling Pettersson better than Matthews/Mackinnon/Kucherov over and over

They will not be quiet

• Haha
Reactions: mriswith

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Theres SOME Canucks fans who went to the mainboard defending the Canucks as one of the winners of the TDL. They pump Brock Boeser every time he gets a multi point game, tho this one makes sense. Been calling Pettersson better than Matthews/Mackinnon/Kucherov over and over

They will not be quiet

I mean... I'm not saying he's better but I'd much rather have Petey in a playoff or must win game than Matthews. They both have the same amount of playoff goals over the past 3 years and one of them actually produces in elimination games while the other didn't even put up a shot for half of a game 7. I'd take Mack, Kuch, etc in a second though.

Boeser is a guy who can put up points while brutally failing the eye test every shift.

As for Hughes I think he's somehow underrated at this point. Maybe it's because he was overrated for a little while and it became clear Makar was better and so people now overcorrect and underrate him now, but there are legitimate posters who think he's equivalent to Barrie or Morgan Reilly and still think he's a defensive liability.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Looking at how similar Jack and Quinn Hughes look on the ice, you gotta think that at some point Quinn is going to start putting away these close in chances he gets. Jack is on a close to 50 goal pace this season, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Quinn start getting into that 10 to 15 goal range.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Hughes' play in the last 20 or so games has been the best of his career and is verging on Norris level. He's taken the next step this year in a massive way.

I agree.

Unfortunately, I think the easy consensus has already been established that QH is bad defensively. Wrong as it might be, it's a hard label to shake.

I said this long ago, but most of QH's strong defensive play happens before the puck ends up in the Canucks' d-zone. I think this gets overlooked too much.

Reactions: Horvat1C

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I agree.

Unfortunately, I think the easy consensus has already been established that QH is bad defensively. Wrong as it might be, it's a hard label to shake.

I said this long ago, but most of QH's strong defensive play happens before the puck ends up in the Canucks' d-zone. I think this gets overlooked too much.
The rest of the NHL probably views QH's defensive game the same as they did two years ago because the team is f***ing awful, but this market definitely doesn't.

Whatever he's shown the last few months is at a level above where I thought he would get to. I remember seeing young QH at the world championships and thinking his defending wasn't that bad because he was intelligent, but that 2021 sophomore season was so bad. It made sense that it worried people. He said he was shit that year too. It was at the point where you weren't sure if he could handle medium leverage minutes defensively.

But it's not even just that his ability to control play going forward has improved; he's genuinely gotten to a point defensively where he is extremely consistent positionally and effort wise.

Dominant player atm. Vastly improved, and it's a big credit to him.

Reactions: Vector

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Recently, Quinn Hughes has really taken his game to an entirely new level...(maybe its the "A" on his sweater..?..)

As a Canucks fan..this guy is always a treat to watch.

Reactions: MarkMM

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lol!....Yep, the Wings selected Zadina one pick before the Canucks selected Hughes. He's the best d-man in Canuck history, although granted it's a 'low bar'. But he's basically just getting started.

Did the Wings get revenge with the theft a first rounder and a high second rounder for Hronek? I guess we'll have to wait to see you they draft with those picks.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

f*** the main board.

fastest american dman in history to 200 assists, yet because he's a Canuck and not suiting up for an American team, he is hated. Quinn Hughes is a true superstar dman at this level. Love him to death. Can't wait to get my funko pop Quinn hughes.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I haven't kept up much with the rest of the league, but where do we think he currently is with regards to Norris finalist talk? Sure feels like he should be somewhat creeping into the conversation.

Coffees

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021
I haven't kept up much with the rest of the league, but where do we think he currently is with regards to Norris finalist talk? Sure feels like he should be somewhat creeping into the conversation.
Not to be taken seriously unless he repeats next season. That’s the general consensus I truly believe.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I was curious as well, so I looked. Pierre LeBrun just did an article polling NHL coaches about who they thought should win the Norris.

Hughes name wasn't mentioned once in the article. So that says a lot right there.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I was curious as well, so I looked. Pierre LeBrun just did an article polling NHL coaches about who they thought should win the Norris.

Hughes name wasn't mentioned once in the article. So that says a lot right there.

What exactly is it suppose to mean? Hughes is not good in his own end? He is one of the best d men at zone exits, which is ultimately what you want a defenceman to do. The team is +34 with him on the ice vs -71 without him on the ice. That's an incredible stat.

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
What exactly is it suppose to mean? Hughes is not good in his own end? He is one of the best d men at zone exits, which is ultimately what you want a defenceman to do. The team is +34 with him on the ice vs -71 without him on the ice. That's an incredible stat.

He's a phenomenal player but I'm sure such+/- stats would look better due to his excess power play deployment over penalty kill (4:07 vs 1:10) especially considering the team's dismal penalty kill performance.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
He's a phenomenal player but I'm sure such+/- stats would look better due to his excess power play deployment over penalty kill (4:07 vs 1:10) especially considering the team's dismal penalty kill performance.
I mean at 5v5 Canucks are +18 with Hughes on the ice and without him they are -22.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
He won't get a nomination, but he ain't the far off. Probably only Fox, Makar and Karlsson have been better this season.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I was concerned about his size when we drafted him, but he won me over with his first few games. What makes him elite - his skating and IQ - also allows him to survive in a physical game.

What has also impressed me is his maturity for such a young guy. His sophomore season was a tough one (losing Tanev didn't help), but he improved with each year, and has become a young leader on this team. I really enjoy watching him and love his compete level (ditto for Petey).

Reactions: Coffees

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
He's undoubtedly a top-10 defenceman. For this season arguably somewhere in the 4-7 range imo

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
I mean at 5v5 Canucks are +18 with Hughes on the ice and without him they are -22.
That is exactly what I thought. He's definitely a plus player but not as impactful as the previous stats were indicating (i.e., turning -71 team to +34 team).

The team really needs another offensively potent d-man. Hope Hronek can be that player.

Reactions: m9

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
Makar, Fox and Dahlin are the only guys I would have clearly above Hughes if I was making a team from scratch right now.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad