Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
That blind squirrel found two consecutive nuts when those around him who could see found none.

Not many teams are capable of picking that kind of high-end talent. Very few, in fact. In the case of draft picks below the number one pick, which they both were (5 &7), very few teams pick talent the likes of Petey and Hughes, and do it two drafts in a row. Look at the players before and after them. Your theory is flawed.

I was labeled a Benning sympathizer long ago, not because I was. I wasn't in fact. I was labeled a Benning sympathizer because, like Tyler Myers, I believed that not everything Benning did was bad, and I was capable of separating the good from the bad. Now, and in retrospect, and after all the hate Benning received here, really vicious stuff, I find the fact amusing that Benning was responsible for drafting two NHL superstars who are currently tearing up the league.

Benning was not evil. He was just a guy trying his best to do a job, a job he ultimately failed at. But it wasn't all failure. Benning's legacy is with us this season.
He missed on two as well, in Jolevi and Virtanen. Statistically for how high those pics were, he under performed. We don’t need to rehash everything, but I don’t think that getting Petty (rumour was he wanted a different player), and Hughes correct makes him competent as our GM in drafts. I did hear that Ottawa is looking at Chairelli, so maybe he gets a second chance as well.

Reactions: MarkMM

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Benning gets zero credit for Pettersson.

The only reason that Elias Pettersson is a Canuck is that Jim Benning's boss stepped in and prevented Benning from overruling the scouts who wanted Pettersson.

Our scouts wanted Dylan Larkin, Matthew Tkachuk, and Elias Pettersson with the team's top-10 picks from 2014-2017. Jim Benning wanted Jake Virtanen, Olli Juolevi, and Cody Glass.
That hurts to read

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Quinn Hughes is like…. Super good and stuff… at the game of hockey. I like, really like that he is on my team, it makes me happy when he scores and stuff. I like, really want to see him get a Norris, I have like felt that Vancouver has had players in the past who should have gotten hardware and didn’t, due to east coast bias. Namely, I think it’s a crime that Luongo didn’t get a single Vezina.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Follows the eye test as well. He just seems to be able to carry the puck at will right now. He was always great at it, but I think his decision making wasn’t always the best and he could get himself into trouble or some times look a bit aimless. Now everything looks seamless and purposeful and it’s incredible to watch.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
If Hughes had always had a decent partner and never had to deal with the sea of #6's, he would have never left the Makar/Fox conversation.

That just makes his progression over the last 2-3 years even more amazing.

Perceptions just take forever to change. Hughes still has the perception of a small, offensive D-man that can't play D. Doesn't help that he has played for a losing team. If the Canucks had been a playoff team since the bubble, he wouldn't of left that conversation.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
That hurts to read
No idea why it needs to be rehashed in every thread. Elmer is thankfully gone. Does he need to be brought up in every second post? in every other thread? I have PTSD for what that bag of puke did to my team. This nitpicking over who wanted what player in the draft seven to ten years later is adorable. People need to get a life at the end of the day.

I’m happy that it looks like a playoff team with a bit of direction and purpose from the players to the coaches to the management to the owners. I’ll be happy to see Canucks flags on cars in April/May and cooking on the Weber, having a shot of Stoli or a glass of red and a good sativa. People need to loosen up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay26

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
No idea why it needs to be rehashed in every thread. Elmer is thankfully gone. Does he need to be brought up in every second post? in every other thread? I have PTSD for what that bag of puke did to my team. This nitpicking over who wanted what player in the draft seven to ten years later is adorable. People need to get a life at the end of the day.

I’m happy that it looks like a playoff team with a bit of direction and purpose from the players to the coaches to the management to the owners. I’ll be happy to see Canucks flags on cars in April/May and cooking on the Weber, having a shot of Stoli or a glass of red and a good sativa. People need to loosen up.
Yes, unfortunately due to the OEL buyout.
The penalty is under 1m this season, but it’s 2.4m next and 4.7m the following two

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Hughes should go down as the greatest defenceman drafted by the Canucks, if he doesn’t finally bring home the Norris for the first time nothing will. Detroit fans must be pissed off at Ken Holland for picking Zadina instead of Hughes. Can you imagine Seider and Hughes in Detroit?
Yeah i like to imagine Quinton here. But good post though.

Hughes is a possession hound. Anytime i to get to watch him live reminds me of a young Paul Coffey. The tv doesn’t do these kids justice. We have three anchors here- as in good anchors to build off of, not boat anchors. We need a cup. Or at least I want to see it.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
I think Benning sucked, and I hated him a lot while he was here, but I just feel its a weird attitude that you see with a lot of Americans with politics where every good thing that happened cant have anything to do with him even if he had final say on it, and every bad thing is 100% because of him no matter what.

To some degree if managers deserve any blame for bad things people under them do they should also get some credit the other way. Inheriting a good staff and keeping them and going with their suggestions is a plus in his column, if that isnt attributed to him then he cannot be blamed for not keeping good guys right? You cant blame a guy for firing a good person but then not give them credit for keeping that person for years and having good drafting outcomes with them.

As with everything people just want to believe someone is wholly bad or evil and nothing good can be possibly said about them. Thats just now how the real world works theres more nuance than that. I think the guy was in over his head and brutally screwed our team over with his signings, but all in all the drafting record was good while he was here. Shouldve never held the job as long as he did.

This is all super off topic though, as for Hughes Im glad we are seeing articles and videos about him by eastern media now, but I am still bitter about how underrated he has been and will forever blame Seth Jones for it.

So he should take blame for not keeping Brackett but should get credit for allowing the work Brackett did under him (i.e. drafting EP and Quinn) while he was here right? Why does he get blame for not keeping good people but gets no credit for the years he did keep them and had good outcomes?
Well said. Let's say this group does win a Cup at some point. It would be pretty immature to say that Benning didn't have a hand in it. We all get it - he sucked. But just like Burke and Nonis had a hand in the 2009-2013 core, Benning had a hand in this one. No need to stick your fingers in your ears and deny reality.

Reactions: geebster

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT

I agree it comes up for to much, the wound has still not healed for me either. I think he shall not be named is an apt way to deal with this. Leave the discussion to whispers in your DM, or have one Benning Thread and just let out the pain. I know I get frustrated any time someone try’s to minimized (or I perceive it to be doing so) his negative impact and often react. It’s the pain of a guy who stopped watching the team and sport he loved, because I couldn’t take the incompetence any more. It’s been great, like meeting a new flame after a horrible break up. It is time for us all to stop bringing up the X

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
If Hughes had always had a decent partner and never had to deal with the sea of #6's, he would have never left the Makar/Fox conversation.
It's actually unreal how much damage Benning did to this organization overall.

Hughes had a great partner in Tanev and he let him walk for Jake ****ing Virtanen. All because Jake was "his guy".

Imagine if Hughes had Tanev as a d-partner for those pre-Hronek years.. Schenn was a solid stopgap but he's far from a Tanev.

Reactions: arttk and mriswith

Michelin Chef

Oct 13, 2023
Rob Blake selected Turcotte over Seider and Byfield over Stuetzle, Raymond or Sanderson

Holland selected Zadina over Hughes and the following year in Edmonton selects Broberg over Zegras

Rangers in 2019 selected Kakko over Byram, Seider, Cozens or Zegras and in 2020 selected Lafreniere over Stuetzle, Raymond or Sanderson

On and on and on and on it goes and will keep going, it’s what happens when drafting 18 year old teenagers

Vilifying Benning and his staff for drafting Virtanen and Juolevi like this sort of thing only happens to Benning is quite comical and a little OCD on the Benning Narrative. And then the whole making up garbage about how drafting Petey and Hughes had nothing to do with Benning is even more comical. But I guess this sort of delusion helps some folk sleep at night.

It's actually unreal how much damage Benning did to this organization overall.

Hughes had a great partner in Tanev and he let him walk for Jake ****ing Virtanen. All because Jake was "his guy".

Imagine if Hughes had Tanev as a d-partner for those pre-Hronek years.. Schenn was a solid stopgap but he's far from a Tanev.
But keeping Demko over Markstrom, how would you describe that? Nothing to see here! Nothing bro see here!

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I went and re-read his draft thread just for giggles and Hughes certainly made a lot of posters here look silly.

Reactions: JohnHodgson

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Follows the eye test as well. He just seems to be able to carry the puck at will right now. He was always great at it, but I think his decision making wasn’t always the best and he could get himself into trouble or some times look a bit aimless. Now everything looks seamless and purposeful and it’s incredible to watch.
He has been top10 at it his entire career in the NHL.

Michelin Chef

Oct 13, 2023
I went and re-read his draft thread just for giggles and Hughes certainly made a lot of posters here look silly.
If memory serves most in these parts wanted Bouchard or Dobson. It’s still stunning that Ken Holland chose Zadina over the Michigan alumn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad