Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I admit i wanted Dobson but i also admit that when i watched Hughes at the Worlds he looked like Pat Kane playing defence and my fear of taking him had subsided to the point where i was alright having an elite PP and offensive guy if they called his name.

His skating, decision making, defence and leadership on ice has already surpassed my wildest dreams, this kid is legit Brian Leetch good. I will actually be surprised if he doesn't win the Norris after seeing that incredible stretch last year coupled with this year and how Hronek opens things up for him even more.

MVP candidate through 10 games i love that Eastern morons see his size and dismiss his abilities. Keep him fired up with something to prove fellas it only took 50yrs to have an elite defenceman in Canuck colours.

Just gonna put my feet up and enjoy this hockey genius for as long as possible

I wanted Dobson, too.

Funny thing is that my evaluation of Dobson was spot on - I said he'd be something between Pietrangelo and Seabrook and a massive all-situations minute-eater ... and that's what he is. Playing 25 minutes/game for NYI, might score 60+ points this year. Fantastic player.

Hughes, I just didn't expect anything like this. In 2018 there was basically no such thing as a 5'10 (and that figure is probably inflated) top-pairing defender. Jared Spurgeon was maybe the first ever, but played a very different game and appeared to be a bit of a unicorn. Smallish guys like Hughes topped out as 2nd pairing PP QBs and I don't think there was anything either in the history of D development or in Hughes' profile at that point to think that this was any sort of a likely outcome. His edgework was unreal but his production at Michigan wasn't incredible (compare to Hutson) and I thought he actually struggled with overhandling the puck and not using his teammates when I saw him at the WJC which sounds absurd in retrospect.

It's just that somewhere along the way he's turned into a genius.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
He will have a good chance to show off his offensive ability. All 3 of Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa surrender 3.5 goals per game. Since the Canucks are the highest scoring team in the league (4.5 goals/game!), there's a decent chance there will be 1 or 2 multi point games in there.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I wanted Dobson, too.

Funny thing is that my evaluation of Dobson was spot on - I said he'd be something between Pietrangelo and Seabrook and a massive all-situations minute-eater ... and that's what he is. Playing 25 minutes/game for NYI, might score 60+ points this year. Fantastic player.

Hughes, I just didn't expect anything like this. In 2018 there was basically no such thing as a 5'10 (and that figure is probably inflated) top-pairing defender. Jared Spurgeon was maybe the first ever, but played a very different game and appeared to be a bit of a unicorn. Smallish guys like Hughes topped out as 2nd pairing PP QBs and I don't think there was anything either in the history of D development or in Hughes' profile at that point to think that this was any sort of a likely outcome. His edgework was unreal but his production at Michigan wasn't incredible (compare to Hutson) and I thought he actually struggled with overhandling the puck and not using his teammates when I saw him at the WJC which sounds absurd in retrospect.

It's just that somewhere along the way he's turned into a genius.

I felt exactly the same way and was initially quite disappointed. Boy, was a wrong about QH. Still really love Dobson though!! Together, they would be amazing.

Man, we are getting greedy with all the 5 point a night talk, no matter how much of it is schtick. But a point a night, I can get my head around:)

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Is this puck possession stat new? Always thought Hughes had to be among the top, if not far and away the top.

im gangster

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Quinn Hughes is having himself a historic season and I'm absolutely loving it.

Ive enjoyed maybe 1 good season of Reinhart, one season of Jeff Brown, and some pretty solid seasons from Ohlund, Jovo, and Lumme, Edler (both always left you wanting more) but seeing a Norris and PPG level defenseman just dominate like this is a beautiful thing!
You forgot Salo.

petterdaddy

Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
Filthy filthy filthy stats

IMG_0451.jpeg

Reactions: HockeyWooot

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is Quinn Hughes the most dangerous player in the NHL right now? The way he walks the blueline and zips around the offensive zone, I mean how do you stop him?

The only thing missing from arsenal was his shot--but even that's rapidly becoming one of his strengths. There's nobody in the NHL playing the he's playing right now--even the last couple of Norris winners Markar and Fox.

petterdaddy

Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
Is Quinn Hughes the most dangerous player in the NHL right now? The way he walks the blueline and zips around the offensive zone, I mean how do you stop him?

The only thing missing from arsenal was his shot--but even that's rapidly becoming one of his strengths. There's nobody in the NHL playing the he's playing right now--even the last couple of Norris winners Markar and Fox.

He’s getting some Hart trophy talk as a defenseman so yeah, I think he is. Especially with McDrai slumping.

Absolutely unreal player and I hope he gets some hardware this summer (a cup counts as hardware too)

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Good thing he signed that long term deal.
One of the BEST things Benning ever did! And I think Benning was really bad overall but give kudos where they are due, a team friendly contract until 2027

The playoffs are the best measuring stick in the end.

But ya he is playing the best of his career so far. Really being much more selective in his rushes.

I still say he plays more like a rover though. Half forward, half defence but in his case 3/4 forward and 1/4 defence but he is balancing that out more. Odd his dad said he didn't switch to defence until later in hockey. It explains a lot and shows though. Too small to be a center but from the defence he can play like one

Reactions: HockeyWooot

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
After watching another masterful performance in tonight's win over the Islanders, you could make the argument that the 'Mighty Quinn' is the most dangerous player in the NHL right now.

Yes, more dangerous than McDavid, Draisaitl, Matthews or anyone else you want to name. His ability to control play from the offensive blueline is mind-boggling. A couple of Isles forwards rushing out to pressure him, were left with broken ankles when he simply dipsey doodled by them,

I mean how do you stop him? Now that he has developed a lethal shot to go along with the rest of his arsenal, it's not a shock to see at the top of the NHL points parade.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad