Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
He was no where near as bad as some of the takes. Bump him off pp1 for Rathbone. Trade him for a 40 point defender. Etc.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i still don't think hughes is very good defensively but it doesn't really matter because he's a possession monster. when he's on the ice the opponents just don't get the kind of chances they get against "average" defenders because they just don't get many chances. if he had to just take opponent rushes all game or defend the net front frequently he'd get a lot more criticism for his defensive play but he's simply not in that situation often enough for it to matter. he only needs to force one turnover to end opponent possession and he can do that frequently enough that he nets out as good to very good "defensively"

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
As great as Miller and Pettersson are..Quinn Hughes is the MVP on the team.

At least we can put aside the QH isn’t a legit # 1 Dman debate now.

Reactions: LordBacon

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Hughes has gone to another level this year he’s insane. That said he’s not winning a Norris for as long as Makar is around and that’s gonna be his whole career.

im gangster

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
As great as Miller and Pettersson are..Quinn Hughes is the MVP on the team.

At least we can put aside the QH isn’t a legit # 1 Dman debate now.

62b0f036229d5835556cdab0_PJ_2020_16oz_US_Hero_V3_rgb - Juice Ounces Bottom.png

New avvy?

Reactions: LordBacon

ChuckFanForever

Jun 5, 2011
Hughes has gone to another level this year he’s insane. That said he’s not winning a Norris for as long as Makar is around and that’s gonna be his whole career.

Funny, some Avs fans think Makar won't win because he can't stay healthy enough (plays a more physical defensive game) to play enough games...

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Crazy how far he’s come. Some of the takes on him as a player after 2021 bubble were horrendous. I can’t believe anyone could have ever entrained the idea that Rathbone could end up a better player than Hughes.

My bad opinion on Hughes in 2021 was thinking he should play forward at even strength if he didn't improve defensively or if we couldn't find a partner to help him. I changed my opinion the next season after seeing his improvement and how well he played in top minutes with an assortment of #6D though, and defended him when people still thought he couldn't play D the last 2-3 years.

Reactions: canuckking1

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Hughes has had a magnificent year no doubt. but when looking to win awards

very quiet in games played in Toronto and Montreal. and lost head to head vs Cale Makar tonight

just saying

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Hughes has had a magnificent year no doubt. but when looking to win awards

very quiet in games played in Toronto and Montreal. and lost head to head vs Cale Makar tonight

just saying
Still very early in the season.

That being said, Makar is absolutely red hot right now.

He'll need to cool off if Hughes wants to have a chance.

My prediction at the beginning of the season was that Hughes could be a Norris finalist. I still think that's a win for him and for us.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I know it's early, but IMO Quinn is playing at a level Bure never reached. If he keeps it up that's another thing.

Quinn is having a special season, if the season was to end today hes winning the Hart trophy.

Its like he's playing a different game than the other people on the ice.

This was posted a while ago but I have to say it’s not really comparable. Bure’s height was best goal scorer in the NHL (without playing with a 1C, nevermind elite C). He could have easily won a Hart (or two) in his life time.

Bure’s career was cut short by injuries but he’s a generational talent. In terms of goals per game he is currently sandwiched between Matthews and Ovechkin. If Bure had Ovechkin’s durability, Bure may have challenged Gretzky’s goal scoring record (although if Lemieux had Ovechkin’s durability Lemieux’s record may be untouchable.

Reactions: Chiripa20

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
This was posted a while ago but I have to say it’s not really comparable. Bure’s height was best goal scorer in the NHL (without playing with a 1C, nevermind elite C). He could have easily won a Hart (or two) in his life time.

Bure’s career was cut short by injuries but he’s a generational talent. In terms of goals per game he is currently sandwiched between Matthews and Ovechkin. If Bure had Ovechkin’s durability, Bure may have challenged Gretzky’s goal scoring record (although if Lemieux had Ovechkin’s durability Lemieux’s record may be untouchable.

Yeah. While I think Hughes' skating and instincts are absolutely otherworldly, at the end of the day he's still playing a part in the greater team on the ice. At his best, it looked like Bure could just be on the ice 1-on-5 and it would have minimal impact on his ability to score.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I agree, Hughes is exceptional. Sedin's and Naslund were amazing, but Bure was on a level on his own. He didn't have much talent to play with and he still excelled. His 92 point season in 00-01 season with Florida was legendary. The next highest scorer on Florida was Viktor Kozlov with 37 points. That's insane.

Reactions: Bgav

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I agree, Hughes is exceptional. Sedin's and Naslund were amazing, but Bure was on a level on his own. He didn't have much talent to play with and he still excelled. His 92 point season in 00-01 season with Florida was legendary. The next highest scorer on Florida was Viktor Kozlov with 37 points. That's insane.

Also, he did this through an era where “be really big and just hug people” was an acceptable and encouraged mode of playing D.

Hughes is incredible at making shifts to get out of close quarters with the puck, but I don’t know that this is as possible in a world where he’s just dragging a coke machine around on his back all game long.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
2021 everybody kept calling out Green for that franking idiotic stubbornness of putting him with Myers for that stretch
The media kept pressing him and I swear to god he kept them together out of spite.
and people were like are you watching what were' watching?????????
Like They had a GF% of something stupid like 15%
It was like they stepped on the ice and were scored against

I remember Tyler toffoli scored like 65 goals against that season, and all of them were on breakaways or 2-on-1's
dumpster fire of a season

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Needs a couple 3-4 point games. Makar is breathing down his neck for the Norris. Should be a fun race between the two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad