Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
This year I am perhaps most impressed by his tenacity, work ethic and leadership as Captain. I think many were unfairly typecasting him as merely a skill-player due to his small size and baby face.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Quinn is definitely on pace to be the greatest Canuck ever. I'd even say his season so far is the best season of any Canuck ever.

His talent and impact are only matched by Bure. Add in his leadership abilities.... jeez.

He makes everyone around him better. If we lost EP... it would suck, but I'd eventually get over it. I don't think the Canucks would ever recover if they lost Hughes. On pace to be one of the best defensemen in NHL history.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Just think about this folks... Quinn could not score another point this season, and he'd still be a Norris contender. Unreal.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I had a flashback tonight of the time when Hughes first joined the team near the end of the 2018/19 season.

There was an overtime game and Hughes was on the ice with Petey and Brock. The crowd was going nuts as these guys kept puck possession and Shorty made a comment about how we were looking at the future of the team here. Goosebumps.

kyru

Oct 19, 2017
Thought this was pretty a wild stat from a recent Paterson article:

In the past 25 years, the Canucks have had one other defenceman reach 50 points (Christian Ehrhoff finished with 50 in the 2010-11 season). Hughes has already accomplished the feat four times and on Saturday night he reached 50 assists in just 49 games this season. He’s got as many helpers as any other defenceman has had points for the Canucks in the past quarter century.

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
We have this dude for three more years at an absurd cap hit of 7.85M. Arguably the best defenseman in the NHL this season, on a team-friendly deal until 2026-2027.

The Canucks really need to make something happen in this window. Anything short of a SCF appearance would be a major disappointment.

Basically Quinn Hughes is our Nathan MacKinnon - a superstar on a steal of a deal. Can we repeat that success story?

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Now that we are at the All Star Game break, here are some insane (on pace) stats for Hughes this season.

- Hughes is on pace for 20 goals this season, only 1 other defenseman in franchise history has a 20 goal season, and that Aucoin with 23 goals in 1998-99 season (he ended up with 34 points that season).
- He is on pace for about 104 points this season. The most points by a defenseman in franchise history (other than Hughes) is 63 points, that is a whopping 40 points more. He is on pace to beat his own franchise record of 76 (set last season) by 28 points.
- With his 104 points pace this season, he will join five other players to ever score over 100 points as a Canucks in a season. A 104 points season will put him in a tie for 5th most in franchise history (subjected to change as JTM and Petterson are also on pace to break the 100 points mark).
- The whole defense last season scored 22 goals, he is almost matching that singlehandedly this season.
- The best +/- season by a defenseman is +36 for the season, Hughes is on pace for +57.

His current counting stats is just absolutely insane this season.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
He's by far our best player. Petey, Miller are good but they don't have the impact than Hughes does. He's the best dman in the league by a good margin this year.
The most remarkable part to me is that he's so consistent.

Pettersson at his best is similarly impactful or maybe moreso, but constantly has large stretches of uninspired play (less inclined as time goes on to credit these stretches to injury like I would have in the past).

Meanwhile Hughes delivers it on a pretty much nightly basis.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Has a 6 point lead on Makar now. Needs a strong last 25 games to lock up the Norris. Should be top 5 for the Hart trophy as well.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Has a 6 point lead on Makar now. Needs a strong last 25 games to lock up the Norris. Should be top 5 for the Hart trophy as well.
Betting markets have him now as a big favourite. It's already almost completely locked up. He just has to avoid imploding.

More interesting to me is why he isn't getting more Hart consideration.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad