Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

Quinntessential

Mar 25, 2013
Tanev was a set of training wheels for Quinn. Hughes wouldn’t have had the same urgency to improve his dzone if Tanev was here the whole time to cover for him. It worked out for the best.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Michelin Chef

Oct 13, 2023
uhhh yeah cuz he couldn't afford Markstrom. Are we ignoring that even though he kept Demko, he really showed how much he trusted him by getting Holtby for like 4.3M x2
Always an escape clause, nothing to see here! You know it’s ok to admit it was the right move keeping Demko over Markstrom instead of redirecting traffic to fit a narrative.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Always an escape clause, nothing to see here! You know it’s ok to admit it was the right move keeping Demko over Markstrom instead of redirecting traffic to fit a narrative.
no it was the right move to keep Demko. issue was getting f***ing Holtby and wasting that cap and losing Tanev/Toffoli.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No idea why it needs to be rehashed in every thread. Elmer is thankfully gone. Does he need to be brought up in every second post? in every other thread? I have PTSD for what that bag of puke did to my team. This nitpicking over who wanted what player in the draft seven to ten years later is adorable. People need to get a life at the end of the day.

I’m happy that it looks like a playoff team with a bit of direction and purpose from the players to the coaches to the management to the owners. I’ll be happy to see Canucks flags on cars in April/May and cooking on the Weber, having a shot of Stoli or a glass of red and a good sativa. People need to loosen up.

On one hand, I never want to see that stupid ogre's name again.

On the other hand, any attempts to form a narrative that 'Benning wasn't so bad because Hughes and Pettersson' should absolutely be killed with fire.

Michelin Chef

Oct 13, 2023
no it was the right move to keep Demko. issue was getting f***ing Holtby and wasting that cap and losing Tanev/Toffoli.
I couldn’t care less about Holtby, Tanev and Toffoli. Who gives a s**t. It’s keeping Demko over Markstrom and the great contract we have with Demko is all I care about

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
If memory serves most in these parts wanted Bouchard or Dobson. It’s still stunning that Ken Holland chose Zadina over the Michigan alumn.
I admit i wanted Dobson but i also admit that when i watched Hughes at the Worlds he looked like Pat Kane playing defence and my fear of taking him had subsided to the point where i was alright having an elite PP and offensive guy if they called his name.

His skating, decision making, defence and leadership on ice has already surpassed my wildest dreams, this kid is legit Brian Leetch good. I will actually be surprised if he doesn't win the Norris after seeing that incredible stretch last year coupled with this year and how Hronek opens things up for him even more.

MVP candidate through 10 games i love that Eastern morons see his size and dismiss his abilities. Keep him fired up with something to prove fellas it only took 50yrs to have an elite defenceman in Canuck colours.

Just gonna put my feet up and enjoy this hockey genius for as long as possible

Reactions: Jay26

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If memory serves most in these parts wanted Bouchard or Dobson. It’s still stunning that Ken Holland chose Zadina over the Michigan alumn.
I wanted Dobson in 2018, and Glass in 2017....I stopped picking guys who I wanted in the draft after that....I was happy when we picked Hughes though (thats a small body gentleman..!)..My favourite player on the team..A treat to watch.

Back to the 2018 draft..nobody here wanted anything to do with Brady Tkachuk..What a fantastic player he turned out to be.

Back to Hughes ..It took this franchise almost 50 years to draft and develop a true star D man.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
I wanted Dobson in 2018, and Glass in 2017....I stopped picking guys who I wanted in the draft after that....I was happy when we picked Hughes though (thats a small body gentleman..!)..My favourite player on the team..A treat to watch.

Back to the 2018 draft..nobody here wanted anything to do with Brady Tkachuk..What a fantastic player he turned out to be.

Back to Hughes ..It took this franchise almost 50 years to draft and develop a true star D man.
Me too.

In 2017 I can remember wanting to trade for another 1st and use both picks to draft the Portland Winterhawks double of Glass and Jokiharju.

In 2018 I wanted Dobson as well. He was all the rage for defencemen if I remember correctly.

Ever since I've been content to just wait, no matter what I think of a pick. Even last summer I was pretty annoyed with picks like Alriksson and Celebrini and yet both are looking like solid projects and I find myself having faith that they'll turn out well somehow.

I've realized more and more that I don't know shit about these kids. Better not to judge the draft at the time and wait several years to judge more of a finished product.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Me too.

In 2017 I can remember wanting to trade for another 1st and use both picks to draft the Portland Winterhawks double of Glass and Jokiharju.

In 2018 I wanted Dobson as well. He was all the rage for defencemen if I remember correctly.

Ever since I've been content to just wait, no matter what I think of a pick. Even last summer I was pretty annoyed with picks like Alriksson and Celebrini and yet both are looking like solid projects and I find myself having faith that they'll turn out well somehow.

I've realized more and more that I don't know shit about these kids. Better not to judge the draft at the time and wait several years to judge more of a finished product.
That's one thing many posters cant get their head wrap around

After the top 15 picks, we dont know shit. Might as well trust people who do this for a living

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
Quinn Hughes may be the best value contract in the NHL. 7.85M for another 3 seasons after this... You can't even get a Darnell Nurse for that.

Thanks Benning (only half joking...)

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
the beauty of quinn is he has never not improved

like, i knew he was going to develop a shot. and he probably would have sooner but he worked really hard the summer before last and the one before that on his defensive game, because he thought it would be more impactful. and he was right.

and speaking of that shot, there’s a bit of joe sakic to it. it comes off his stick sneakily fast and mid-stride as he turns a corner. it’s not a laser like sakic’s yet, but i can see it getting there in another offseason.

but what i really came to this thread to say is we’ve had a few guys where you kind of just had to make room in your life to watch as much of them as you can because you are witnessing greatness. petey is a special player, but he’s not quite at that level, imo. naslund was dominant but he wasn’t at that level, and even bertuzzi in that ridiculous first four months of 2002 wasn’t there. but even as a kid i knew this with bure, and as an adult i made time to watch luongo that first year we had him, and then when the sedins peaked. like, you just knew you were never going to see anything like that again. i also felt the same way about that 2011 team, as a team.

hughes and demko are both at that level right now. this is tell your grandkids someday-level hockey.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Quinn Hughes is having himself a historic season and I'm absolutely loving it.

Ive enjoyed maybe 1 good season of Reinhart, one season of Jeff Brown, and some pretty solid seasons from Ohlund, Jovo, and Lumme, Edler (both always left you wanting more) but seeing a Norris and PPG level defenseman just dominate like this is a beautiful thing!

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Years ago someone (can't remember who) made a comment on this board about Hughes being a more important player to this team than Pettersson. Great call considering how legitimately great Pettersson has looked since his historic season in Sweden in his D+1 (minus that rough year and a half or so under Green).

LickTheEnvelope

Weird time to be a Canucks fan 2024
Dec 16, 2008
Sidney, formerly Vancouver
A stat I pointed out elsewhere is that Quinn now leads all d-men in shots with 45 and that is 5 up on Dougie Hamilton who has 40. This and he is playing less minutes then last year.

Last year:

Hughes: 154 shots in 78 games = 1.98 shots per game
Makar: 176 shots in 60 games = 2.93 shots per game
Fox: 159 shots in 82 games = 1.93 shots per game
Karlsson: 209 shots in 82 games = 2.55 shots per game
Hamilton: 275 shots in 82 games = 3.35 shots per game
Morrisey: 172 shots in 78 games = 2.2 shots per game

This year Quinn is at 3.75 shots per game so far.

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
What does he need to do to legitimately contend for the Hart?
It's such a forward-tilted award. Pronger won it last as a d-man in 99/00 and put up 62 points with a +52, beating near 100 point Jagr and Bure. Also, he was Pronger. He brought a lot more to the game than just points.

In today's game, with new era d-men, definitely top 10 in points overall in the league, I'd say. Probably higher than a +35.

If he can match Karlsson's last season offensively (so 100+ points) and also is a boss defensively, and his brother is hurt + McDavid has an off year, he has a pretty decent shot to be nominated at least, I think.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
A stat I pointed out elsewhere is that Quinn now leads all d-men in shots with 45 and that is 5 up on Dougie Hamilton who has 40. This and he is playing less minutes then last year.

Last year:

Hughes: 154 shots in 78 games = 1.98 shots per game
Makar: 176 shots in 60 games = 2.93 shots per game
Fox: 159 shots in 82 games = 1.93 shots per game
Karlsson: 209 shots in 82 games = 2.55 shots per game
Hamilton: 275 shots in 82 games = 3.35 shots per game
Morrisey: 172 shots in 78 games = 2.2 shots per game

This year Quinn is at 3.75 shots per game so far.
When he has any space in the o-zone he will automatically turn that space into more space. It's an overpowered skill. What he is doing right now is an incredible thing of beauty. I think he is capable of even more.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Should be right in the conversation for the Hart, as it stands today. His true impact on the game isn't even fully appreciated, in my opinion.

Last night it was skate into scrum for his team something I really didn't think he would do .
The skill the points for sure that little bit of f you this is my team is new and he is being a leader in all ways impressive)
And ask any poster how high I was on Hughes till tocchet and Foote got a hold of him lol .
Like the growth maturity and battle see I him now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad