Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
So he should take blame for not keeping Brackett but should get credit for allowing the work Brackett did under him (i.e. drafting EP and Quinn) while he was here right? Why does he get blame for not keeping good people but gets no credit for the years he did keep them and had good outcomes?
Ok. Credit to him for not firing Brackett sooner.

Reactions: tyhee

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
That blind squirrel found two consecutive nuts when those around him who could see found none.

Not many teams are capable of picking that kind of high-end talent. Very few, in fact. In the case of draft picks below the number one pick, which they both were (5 &7), very few teams pick talent the likes of Petey and Hughes, and do it two drafts in a row. Look at the players before and after them. Your theory is flawed.

I was labeled a Benning sympathizer long ago, not because I was. I wasn't in fact. I was labeled a Benning sympathizer because, like Tyler Myers, I believed that not everything Benning did was bad, and I was capable of separating the good from the bad. Now, and in retrospect, and after all the hate Benning received here, really vicious stuff, I find the fact amusing that Benning was responsible for drafting two NHL superstars who are currently tearing up the league.

Benning was not evil. He was just a guy trying his best to do a job, a job he ultimately failed at. But it wasn't all failure. Benning's legacy is with us this season.
I wasn't suggesting Benning was "evil", just epically bad at his job...and my "theory" isn't flawed because its not a theory...Benning was the benefactor of Coyotes going way off the board to draft Hayton, and then got unexpectedly lucky that Detroit picked Zadina over Hughes...Benning made the pick, and he gets credit for it...but lets not get carried away with the accolades when he picked the "no brainer" that fell in his lap. If he didn't pick Hughes it would have been another Juolevi/Tkachuk debacle all over again.

Reactions: MarkMM

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That blind squirrel found two consecutive nuts when those around him who could see found none.

Not many teams are capable of picking that kind of high-end talent. Very few, in fact. In the case of draft picks below the number one pick, which they both were (5 &7), very few teams pick talent the likes of Petey and Hughes, and do it two drafts in a row. Look at the players before and after them. Your theory is flawed.

I was labeled a Benning sympathizer long ago, not because I was. I wasn't in fact. I was labeled a Benning sympathizer because, like Tyler Myers, I believed that not everything Benning did was bad, and I was capable of separating the good from the bad. Now, and in retrospect, and after all the hate Benning received here, really vicious stuff, I find the fact amusing that Benning was responsible for drafting two NHL superstars who are currently tearing up the league.

Benning was not evil. He was just a guy trying his best to do a job, a job he ultimately failed at. But it wasn't all failure. Benning's legacy is with us this season.

Benning gets zero credit for Pettersson.

The only reason that Elias Pettersson is a Canuck is that Jim Benning's boss stepped in and prevented Benning from overruling the scouts who wanted Pettersson.

Our scouts wanted Dylan Larkin, Matthew Tkachuk, and Elias Pettersson with the team's top-10 picks from 2014-2017. Jim Benning wanted Jake Virtanen, Olli Juolevi, and Cody Glass.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
If Benning had been a semi competent GM, the Canucks would never have had the chance to obtain Hughes or Petey. So I guess I give him “credit” for drafting them.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Benning gets zero credit for Pettersson.

The only reason that Elias Pettersson is a Canuck is that Jim Benning's boss stepped in and prevented Benning from overruling the scouts who wanted Pettersson.

Our scouts wanted Dylan Larkin, Matthew Tkachuk, and Elias Pettersson with the team's top-10 picks from 2014-2017. Jim Benning wanted Jake Virtanen, Olli Juolevi, and Cody Glass.

I wasn't suggesting Benning was "evil", just epically bad at his job...and my "theory" isn't flawed because its not a theory...Benning was the benefactor of Coyotes going way off the board to draft Hayton, and then got unexpectedly lucky that Detroit picked Zadina over Hughes...Benning made the pick, and he gets credit for it...but lets not get carried away with the accolades when he picked the "no brainer" that fell in his lap. If he didn't pick Hughes it would have been another Juolevi/Tkachuk debacle all over again.

I didn't say you said Benning was evil. But I saw him referred to as evil by people here. I saw his personal appearance ridiculed many, many times. There were times it made me embarrassed as a Canucks fan.

I'm not relitigating the ins and the outs of who was responsible for picking the draft picks. Been there, done that, and been there done that far too many times.

Benning's legacy lives on. Even when he done good he done bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanucksMJL

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm not relitigating this. Been there, done that, and been there done that far too many times.

Your logic applies to the Quinn Hughes pick, sure. It was the scouts' pick but he was overall in charge and in line with it and it happened under his watch.

Benning had to be actively prevented by Linden from f***ing up the Pettersson pick. There is no logical way you can possibly give him credit for that. Pettersson is Linden/Brackett's legacy, not Benning's.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Because drafting is very very luck based even when you are drafting high. Nevermind the fact he was overruled with the Petey selection by Linden.

Benning is not evil, he is just insanely incompetent and put this team into the dark ages and we all despise him for that.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I didn't say you said Benning was evil. But I saw him referred to as evil by people here. I saw his personal appearance ridiculed many, many times. There were times it made me embarrassed as a Canucks fan.

I'm not relitigating the ins and the outs of who was responsible for picking the draft picks. Been there, done that, and been there done that far too many times.

If anything we are living with he legacy of not giving Petey a long term contract because that he was not his guy and he prioritize mother f***ing Tucker Poolman over him.

Even when he was prevented from making a bad choice when it comes to picking Glass over Petey. He manages to f***ed it up somehow because of his stupid ass ego.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Your logic applies to the Quinn Hughes pick, sure. It was the scouts' pick but he was overall in charge and in line with it and it happened under his watch.

Benning had to be actively prevented by Linden from f***ing up the Pettersson pick. There is no logical way you can possibly give him credit for that. Pettersson is Linden/Brackett's legacy, not Benning's.

There is/was debate about Linden's involvement and whether it was his call or not.

Various principals insist that without Linden’s involvement, the pick would’ve been Glass, although that portion of this account is contested by some principals involved.

That's as far as I am going. I'm not digging into research again over this. You have your narrative. Go with it. I am not relitigating this.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
The evidence is overwhelming, starting with Trevor Linden going on freaking TV and saying that's what happened.

It really isn't and never was. You've repeated this ad nauseum based on extremely flimsy "evidence" for years now. This discussion is rather pointless until actual confirmation comes out one way or the other.

Last edited:

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
We are living in quite possibly the greatest time ever to be a Canucks fan. We have two franchise-defining players, at the same freaking time. This has never happened to our team before. Our goalie ain't too bad either, nor are the supporting players like Miller, Boeser, and Hronek, and others like the Russians. It's a great time to be alive.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
We are living in quite possibly the greatest time ever to be a Canucks fan. We have two franchise-defining players, at the same freaking time. This has never happened to our team before. Our goalie ain't too bad either, nor are the supporting players like Miller, Boeser, and Hronek, and others like the Russians. It's a great time to be alive.
Bertuzzi-Naslund, Sedins-Luongo...we've been lucky to be blessed with some extremely talented players over the years...so while I share in some of the enthusiasm, it's a little early to be suggesting it might be the "greatest time ever to be a Canucks fan". It is worthy of hopeful excitement though and thats more positivity than we've had in a long time.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Bertuzzi-Naslund, Sedins-Luongo...we've been lucky to be blessed with some extremely talented players over the years...so while I share in some of the enthusiasm, it's a little early to be suggesting it might be the "greatest time ever to be a Canucks fan". It is worthy of hopeful excitement though and thats more positivity than we've had in a long time.
I don't put Bert or Naz in the same tier as Petey and Hughie. Luo and Demko, perhaps. Individually, I put Pettersson above either of the Sedins. We've never had a franchise defenceman like Hughes. I stand by my comment.

But let's not focus on our differences. We've done enough of that this morning already. Yes, there is more hope than we've had in a very long time.

Reactions: Canucker

Quinntessential

Mar 25, 2013
I don't put Bert or Naz in the same tier as Petey and Hughie. Luo and Demko, perhaps. Individually, I put Pettersson above either of the Sedins. We've never had a franchise defenceman like Hughes. I stand by my comment.

But let's not focus on our differences. We've done enough of that this morning already. Yes, there is more hope than we've had in a very long time.
I do too but only because I see more career potential from Petey and Quinn because they came into the league as superstars in their first years whereas the others Nazzy, Bert, Sedins, it took them many years to reach that. Petey and Quinn will be better than all of them because they started out as superstars with the same drive to improve ontop of it. 29 year old Petey and Quinn will be absolute f***ing legends, book it. Superstars among the superstars. I will be shocked if we don’t win a cup with them provided they stay around to play their prime years here.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I do too but only because I see more career potential from Petey and Quinn because they came into the league as superstars in their first years whereas the others Nazzy, Bert, Sedins, it took them many years to reach that. Petey and Quinn will be better than all of them because they started out as superstars with the same drive to improve ontop of it. 29 year old Petey and Quinn will be absolute f***ing legends, book it. Superstars among the superstars. I will be shocked if we don’t win a cup with them provided they stay around to play their prime years here.
I agree that it's early, but like you pointed out, the potential, and the hope for us fans is very much there. That's why I said it's a great time to be a Canucks fan. Whether it's a goal you have, or a new woman that enters your life, part of the enjoyment is in the pursuit of the goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quinntessential

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Okay everyone, let’s get this thread back on track - discussing Quinn Hughes.

Seriously, let’s not get off topic and snipe at each other when we all need to be figuring out how good he is. We all know he’s good, but we don’t know how good.

Discuss.

IF WE HAVE TO TAP THIS DAMN SIGN ONE MORE TIME I'M TURNING THIS BUS BACK AROUND TO WINNIPEG!

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
IF WE HAVE TO TAP THIS DAMN SIGN ONE MORE TIME I'M TURNING THIS BUS BACK AROUND TO WINNIPEG!

IMG_0119.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad