Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART X

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimate Warrior

Mar 3, 2004
Neither VCR NOr Burroughs Will Be A Sound Tiger Next Season. VCR Just Turned 19 Last Week And Burroughs Is Still 18. Neither Has Played Four Seasons In Juniors. They Will Be Back In Juniors Next Year, Just A Tryout, Cheap Look On A Couple Of Players In The System While He Sound Tigers Are Limping To Finish The Year.

Don't Read Anything More Into It Than that

I'm pretty sure that VCR is eligible to be assigned to Bridgeport for the full season since he was drafted out of a European League (SHL). Didn't he transfer to the OHL after his draft year?

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Junior Play offs, Second Round, first game of series.

Wednesday
Sault Ste. Marie vs Erie

SM Liiga
Sai Pa vs Karpat

Thursday
Brandon vs Edmonton
Blainville-Broisbriand vs Rimouski

Last edited:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Does anyone with an ear to the ground have any rumors on Summerhays?

I would love to get Summerhays, tell Anders Lee to start making some phone calls and do some recruiting for the Isles.

Poulin looks like his time with the Isles is over and Nilsson will likely be the #1 for Bridgeport next year. If Summerhays is the goods, he could win the #1 job down there and position himself to be an option when Nabby is gone, assuming Nabby comes back next year as the backup.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I would love to get Summerhays, tell Anders Lee to start making some phone calls and do some recruiting for the Isles.

Poulin looks like his time with the Isles is over and Nilsson will likely be the #1 for Bridgeport next year. If Summerhays is the goods, he could win the #1 job down there and position himself to be an option when Nabby is gone, assuming Nabby comes back next year as the backup.

I really liked what I saw from Summerhays. Would be a great college signing, a year at BP, then into the NHL.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Wasn't Wisconsin goalie Joel Rumpel at the prospects camp and scrimmage last summer? Maybe they are looking at him. Both he and Summerhays played this season, can't say the same for two other goalies we all know.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Bridgeport played this afternoon, lost 3-1 to Springfield, Burroughs was even, VCR did not play.
Pedan scored the only Bridgeport goal, Poulin made 24 saves on 26 shots (third Springfield goal, empty net).

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

Could be. Lee and Summerhays were teammates for 3 years at ND, and then the year before they were teammates with Green Bay in the USHL and won a championship together.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Could be. Lee and Summerhays were teammates for 3 years at ND, and then the year before they were teammates with Green Bay in the USHL and won a championship together.

Even better that they are long time teammates aside from ND. Lee has gotten the red carpet treatment by the Isles and the fans, he should tell Summerhays all about it. We do have the worst goaltending in the league so he'll have a better shot here than probably elsewhere.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Even better that they are long time teammates aside from ND. Lee has gotten the red carpet treatment by the Isles and the fans, he should tell Summerhays all about it. We do have the worst goaltending in the league so he'll have a better shot here than probably elsewhere.

Based on the Isles' goaltending this season, I could see Sommerhays getting signed by the Isles, getting in some NHL games, burning a year on his ELC, winning the #1 job, and having his number retired, all before the end of this season. :laugh:

And Butch would have Summerhays and Somerby to look forward to.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Adam Pelech nominated for the Max Kaminsky trophy, which is defenseman of the year. Finished with 9 goals, 45 assists for 54 points and a +52 rating on the season (all career highs). Wouldn't be surprised if he won it.

Amorican

Nov 20, 2004
I don't see Summerhays being anything more than organizational depth. He's a solid goaltender, but it's beyond rare to have a undrafted UFA G be anything more than that (and rarely even that).

I'd love to be proven wrong, trust me.

Besides, if he was more than that he would've been signed within 2 mns of Notre Dame losing in OT lol

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, just a realist here.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I don't see Summerhays being anything more than organizational depth. He's a solid goaltender, but it's beyond rare to have a undrafted UFA G be anything more than that (and rarely even that).

I'd love to be proven wrong, trust me.

Besides, if he was more than that he would've been signed within 2 mns of Notre Dame losing in OT lol

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, just a realist here.

Wasn't Eddie Belfour one?

So was Jonas Hiller, Antii Niemi, Nicklas Backstrom, Dwayne Roloson, Curtis Joseph, Eddie Lack and Ben Scrivens.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

So was Jonas Hiller, Antii Niemi, Nicklas Backstrom, Dwayne Roloson, Curtis Joseph, Eddie Lack and Ben Scrivens.

Even though Tim Thomas was drafted, he never really got a break till he was in his 30s and a UFA(and never played even in the minor leagues with the team that drafted him)

Amorican

Nov 20, 2004

Sorry for not being more clear, my bad. I meant NCAA undrafted UFAs. There are a couple on that list, but it's still rare.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
Sorry for not being more clear, my bad. I meant NCAA undrafted UFAs. There are a couple on that list, but it's still rare.

I think the point is that goaltending talent evaluation has always been an inexact science. Hasek was a 10th round pick. Most times its a crap shoot, so why not take a chance.

Amorican

Nov 20, 2004
I think the point is that goaltending talent evaluation has always been an inexact science. Hasek was a 10th round pick. Most times its a crap shoot, so why not take a chance.

The logic I've heard from scouts is, these goalies have come up through the systems in front of all of the scouts. If there was any significant chance they could be an NHL goalie , some team would draft them as gt is a premium.

Sure, one can develop late. Its happened. And the islanders deserve to luck out. But its rare.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Do you guys think Pokka will come to NA after this season?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Do you guys think Pokka will come to NA after this season?

The Islanders have a boatload of 1st and 2nd year defensemen in camp. I wouldn't be surprised if the Islanders send Pokka back to Finland for 1 more year so everybody gets more icetime

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
The Islanders have a boatload of 1st and 2nd year defensemen in camp. I wouldn't be surprised if the Islanders send Pokka back to Finland for 1 more year so everybody gets more icetime

Disagree. If you can get one of your top prospects playing time in the AHL, you find a way to make it work. With Pulock and Mayfield on the right, that should leave one open spot for Pokka to get minutes. I doubt Kyle Burroughs(who I like) would be enough of a reason to keep Pokka away from Bridgeport. Maybe they can shift Burroughs to the left side with Pelech and Pedan. Extremely young blue-line, but whatever. These are the guys we will be relying on in the future anyway, so the more Pro experience they can get, the better.

With Visnovsky only having one year left on his deal, I think the goal should be to have Pulock and Pokka get as much AHL time as possible next season, and have them both compete for that open spot in '15-16.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Disagree. If you can get one of your top prospects playing time in the AHL, you find a way to make it work. With Pulock and Mayfield on the right, that should leave one open spot for Pokka to get minutes. I doubt Kyle Burroughs(who I like) would be enough of a reason to keep Pokka away from Bridgeport. Maybe they can shift Burroughs to the left side with Pelech and Pedan. Extremely young blue-line, but whatever. These are the guys we will be relying on in the future anyway, so the more Pro experience they can get, the better.

An AHL defense of

Pelech-Pulock
Pedan-Pokka
xxxxx-Mayfield

could be in for alot of growing pains

Burrows still has one more year of junior eligibility, beyond that do Graham or Leduc get contracts(my guess is Leduc might but could get sent to the ECHL)? Do we sign Russo or let him play in College 1 more year?

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
An AHL defense of

Pelech-Pulock
Pedan-Pokka
xxxxx-Mayfield

could be in for alot of growing pains

Burrows still has one more year of junior eligibility, beyond that do Graham or Leduc get contracts(my guess is Leduc might but could get sent to the ECHL)? Do we sign Russo or let him play in College 1 more year?

My expectation is that Graham and Leduc return to the CHL. If we can retain Russo's rights while he stays another year in college, they'll probably go that route as well. Make the decision next year on who they want to retain between Russo, Graham and Burroughs.

I know Burroughs is currently in Bridgeport, so I assumed he's here to stay. If he can go back to Junior, perhaps they'll take that route. Maybe they'll try to keep Finley around as a veteran presence, but I don't see how you can keep Pulock, Pokka and Pelech off of this team, especially when these guys are the best of what we have(outside of Reinhart, who will most likely be in the NHL).

Maybe someone will be dealt in the offseason to make this decision easier.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I know Burroughs is currently in Bridgeport, so I assumed he's here to stay.

Burroughs is on a tryout contract to finish out the season in Bridgeport. The contract has nothing to do with us(although I think it speak volumes he got one and Graham didn't). He definitely will be back in junior next season though whether we sign him to a deal or not.

Maybe they'll try to keep Finley around as a veteran presence

Finley is a UFA this summer, my guess is he takes best deal offered which most likely won't be from us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad