Rumor: Prospect Matteau Jr article on RDS

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DevilChuk*

I stand corrected, thats even better. I wouldn't be surprised if he went straight to Albany

Yup.. I think he would've regardless of what happened in Juniors too.

He plays with an edge, that much I learned from the past few days reading all these comments about him. Rival teams hate him. That's something I like.. a lot.

But he needs to learn to control his temper and not retaliate to be an effective player. Get under their skin but don't take a penalty.

I don't doubt that the jump to the AHL/NHL will do that for him. I don't know how Juniors is viewed in Canada but to me, I cannot think of treating it the same as the AHL or NHL. You're playing with teenagers, everyone is your age. You know them from playing them so many times before. You hung out with them. It's different than playing at the AHL or NHL level. I'm not too worried that he'll calm down a few notches.. he's already shown that he will in the NHL.

Heck, if he can be a player that gets into the other team's heads by playing with an edge.. that just makes me like him that much more. Just control that temper and let the refs take care of the cheap shots.

This is all up to Matteau. Right now, half of Canada is laughing at him. He's frustrated and embarrassed. Let's see how he reacts to this adversity. Will he just give up? Or will he use this as motivation to train even harder and come back a better player? This is a turning point in his career and could honestly prove to be the worst or greatest thing that ever happened to him.

DevilChuk*

Again, the fact that he took a donkey to head back home isn't the alarming point in all of this.

It's the fact that he got kicked off a team that is right in the middle of their playoff run. Why is that sooooooo hard to understand, I have no clue.

That's the MAIN issue here, nothing else.

Well yesterday the main issue according to you was that he quit on his teammates in the middle of a playoff run.. guess I'm not up to date on the latest twist you're arguing.

DevilChuk*

To prove my point, this is just from the first four pages of this thread (all your posts, too).

Relevant words in bold.

The fact that his dad is a assistant HC makes this even weirder. If he did drop his team, this is pretty alarming.

I don't get why posters are just brushing this off like it's something that happens often. Quitting on your team who's right in the middle of the playoffs, your teamates and your dad is pretty brutal IMO.

What bothers me the most about his actions is that he quit for a childish ****ing reason. You're going to leave the team because you got benched by your head coach? Is that they type of character this kid has when the going get's tough or because he got a taste at "the good life" in the NHL?

I'm 110% certain that if it were a Rangers prospect, we'd be calling Sather a idiot right about now but since it's the Devils, we'll just be calling it "monday drama". Kabanov pulled the same **** and everyone was calling the kid "brain dead" and was nothing else then a massive bust.

It's funny how quick we look away when stuff happens in our own back yard but are just as quick to laugh at the misfortune of others... And that's one of the main reasons I love this place :laugh:

He quit the team cause he got benched by his head coach after he got a 2 minute minor for slashing. His head coach said after the game that he didn't tolerate "individual and selfish plays", so that's why he rode the pine.

Who cares if the coach yelled at him and I'm certain his dad (assistant HC) didn't say a peep to his "superior", the head coach. This isn't pee-wee "C" hockey, it's one notch below pro hockey.

The point is, he quit on his team who's currently in the playoffs. If that doesn't show a glaring sign of "not giving a **** about who he plays for", I don't know what does.

Compared to:

Again, the fact that he took a donkey to head back home isn't the alarming point in all of this.

It's the fact that he got kicked off a team that is right in the middle of their playoff run. Why is that sooooooo hard to understand, I have no clue.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I suspect you'd think differently if it were PDB benching Zubrus for a similar altercation in the 2nd round.

Absolutely not.

If a player was told multiple times to stop retaliating and didn't get the message, let it be Zubrus, Clarkson or Kovalchuk and that same player still put THE TEAM in a ackward situation, I'd be all for it.

A player's personnal agenda can't come before the team. If there's a fanbase that should understand this, it's ours, cause Lou wouldn't tolerate that type of ********.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

The post he quoted has you asserting that Matteau threw a tantrum by not staying with his teammates, but now that isn't the issue? Seems like you feel otherwise when it's convenient. Especially when it seems like you're willfully misrepresenting the facts to "prove" it.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

To prove my point, this is just from the first four pages of this thread (all your posts, too).

Relevant words in bold.

Compared to:

He didn't walk up to Bouchard and tell him "I QUIT"... but his actions on the ice forced management to send his ass back home, so he did hurt his team by acting in a selfish matter.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

The post he quoted has you asserting that Matteau threw a tantrum by not staying with his teammates, but now that isn't the issue? Seems like you feel otherwise when it's convenient. Especially when it seems like you're willfully misrepresenting the facts to "prove" it.

Matteau is a saint and Joel Bouchard is a piece of ****... is everyone happy now? Ok, let's move on and act like Matteau didn't deserve what he got since he was picked by our team 29th overall last summer but if some other team would've picked him instead of us, everyone would probably have a different opinion on the matter.

MOD

Last edited by a moderator:

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Matteau is a saint and Joel Bouchard is a piece of ****... is everyone happy now? Ok, let's move on and act like Matteau didn't deserve what he got since he was picked by our team 29th overall last summer but if some other team would've picked him instead of us, everyone would probably have a different opinion on the matter.

Exactly what I said. You're the only one that gets me.

Every single person in this thread recognizes that Matteau has to grow up. The issue is you taking it the extra 150 miles and dragging this 19 year old kid through the mud like he just joined the Manson family.

DevilChuk*

He didn't walk up to Bouchard and tell him "I QUIT"... but his actions on the ice forced management to send his ass back home, so he did hurt his team by acting in a selfish matter.

Well, I guess that's as much as we're going to see in terms of you admitting you were absolutely dead wrong.

You keep making it like everyone here is saying "oh who cares" when that's far, far from the case. You just choose to interpret anything that's not "Matteau is a bust" or "Matteau is going to be a hothead forever" as something overly positive.

Your latest post proves that entirely.

Read my take on this and tell me where I'm absolutely wrong, please:

Yup.. I think he would've regardless of what happened in Juniors too.

He plays with an edge, that much I learned from the past few days reading all these comments about him. Rival teams hate him. That's something I like.. a lot.

But he needs to learn to control his temper and not retaliate to be an effective player. Get under their skin but don't take a penalty.

I don't doubt that the jump to the AHL/NHL will do that for him. I don't know how Juniors is viewed in Canada but to me, I cannot think of treating it the same as the AHL or NHL. You're playing with teenagers, everyone is your age. You know them from playing them so many times before. You hung out with them. It's different than playing at the AHL or NHL level. I'm not too worried that he'll calm down a few notches.. he's already shown that he will in the NHL.

Heck, if he can be a player that gets into the other team's heads by playing with an edge.. that just makes me like him that much more. Just control that temper and let the refs take care of the cheap shots.

This is all up to Matteau. Right now, half of Canada is laughing at him. He's frustrated and embarrassed. Let's see how he reacts to this adversity. Will he just give up? Or will he use this as motivation to train even harder and come back a better player? This is a turning point in his career and could honestly prove to be the worst or greatest thing that ever happened to him.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Well, I guess that's as much as we're going to see in terms of you admitting you were absolutely dead wrong.

You keep making it like everyone here is saying "oh who cares" when that's far, far from the case. You just choose to interpret anything that's not "Matteau is a bust" or "Matteau is going to be a hothead forever" as something overly positive.

Your latest post proves that entirely.

Since you proved to everyone that you knew how to collect my post, you can probably pick out the one where I said that he can still be a solid player for us IF he turns his attitude problem around.

He's had those issues in the "Q" and in the USDP. He can be a solid player for us down the road but needs to screw his head on straight since guys like Marchand, Neil, Cooke, etc... are all going to have a field day with this kid if he doesn't change.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey

Solid thinking gang ;)

This is the kind of post I'm REALLY talking about.

This kind of post is completely irrational. You're shoving words in people's mouths and not really having an open discussion. It's either your right or there's no discussion.

Knock this **** off.

DevilChuk*

Since you proved to everyone that you knew how to collect my post, you can probably pick out the one where I said that he can still be a solid player for us IF he turns his attitude problem around.

He's had those issues in the "Q" and in the USDP. He can be a solid player for us down the road but needs to screw his head on straight since guys like Marchand, Neil, Cooke, etc... are all going to have a field day with this kid if he doesn't change.

No desire to dig through 15 pages to find that post, but go ahead and quote it for me. Thanks.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Fact of the matter is either Matteau will harness part of that anger and make himself an effective hockey player or he won't. I just can't bring myself to extrapolate this kid's career from one disconcerting, but hardly 'oh my god what has he done!' incident.

But I'm sorry DATW, you're just so over the top with it.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Fact of the matter is either Matteau will harness part of that anger and make himself an effective hockey player or he won't. I just can't bring myself to extrapolate this kid's career from one disconcerting, but hardly 'oh my god what has he done!' incident.

But I'm sorry DATW, you're just so over the top with it.

If I would've stated that this incident was a direct reflection of the following years to come, I'd agree with you that it's taking it to another level that doesn't need to be talked about.

Unfortunatly, I never went there and said multiple times that if worked on his attitude issues, he can still turn out to be a solid player for us.

I'm just not downplaying the fact that him getting kick off a team is a "meh" reaction to have, period.

DevilChuk*

If I would've stated that this incident was a direct reflection of the following years to come, I'd agree with you that it's taking it to another level that doesn't need to be talked about.

Unfortunatly, I never went there and said multiple times that if worked on his attitude issues, he can still turn out to be a solid player for us.

I'm just not downplaying the fact that him getting kick off a team is a "meh" reaction to have, period.

Is that they type of character this kid has when the going get's tough or because he got a taste at "the good life" in the NHL?

If that doesn't show a glaring sign of "not giving a **** about who he plays for", I don't know what does.

You're extrapolating it more than it should be. You're reading into his future character as an adult based directly on actions he took as a teenager.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Haven't read the entire thread but I don't think people should be getting so mad at DATW.

1. He's a Devils fan just like all of us

2. He's just giving his opinion.

Relax everybody!

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Honestly I think every in this situation has acted somewhat immaturely. Matteau for his undiscplined play, Bouchard for summarily throwing Matteau off the team, and several people on here for overreacting.

The only one acting in a measured fashion is Lou, because that's what Lou does.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Haven't read the entire thread but I don't think people should be getting so mad at DATW.

1. He's a Devils fan just like all of us

2. He's just giving his opinion.

Relax everybody!

Trust me, I can take it... you don't have to worry about me but thanks for the support ;)

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

DATW, do you want Stefan Matteau to be gone and never ever play for the NJ Devils?

I'm curious...

Why would I want a player we currently "own" to crash and burn?

I want Matteau to turn his attitude problem around like everyone else... but I'm not willing to down play what happend either.

That's all, nothing more, nothing less ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad