Proposal: Proposals Thread: Everything But The TV, Couch and Kitchen Sink Are For Sale!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Really?

So Yakupov's league leading -33 has no correlation to poor defensive ability?

So Bergeron's league leading +36 has no correlation to strong defensive ability?

Is that really what you're saying?

So Ben Lovejoy's +22 indicates he has stronger defensive ability than Shea Weber (-9), Erik Karlsson (-17) and Christian Ehrhoff (-17)?

Your also telling me Tarasenko (+20) has a stronger defensive ability than Ryan Kesler (-15)?

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
Our 2 biggest needs are a #1 dman and a big #2C, the only way we are ever gong to get that is if we draft our own or overpay HUGE for one.

The only way we are going to get both of those is to do something like this.

If Buffalo takes Reinhart 1st:
Draft Ekblad at #2
Trade Yak/Eberle to NYI/FLA for 3rd/4th overall and draft Bennett/Draisatl

If Buffalo takes Ekblad 1st:
Draft Reinhart/Bennett/Draisatl at #2
Trade Eberle/Yak for a dman like Josi/Bogosian etc

Sign stopgaps like Grabo/Markov etc. to let the younger guys develop and we will be much better off going forward.

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
Our 2 biggest needs are a #1 dman and a big #2C, the only way we are ever gong to get that is if we draft our own or overpay HUGE for one.

Draft Ekblad at #2

Sign stopgaps like Grabo/Markov etc. to let the younger guys develop and we will be much better off going forward.

Aren't we done trading proven (or somewhat proven, in Yak's case) players for magic beans? We could probably trade Yak or Ebs for an already established 2C.

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
One thing to keep an eye on this summer will be the St. Louis Blues. Both goalies are UFA as are Derek Roy and Steve Ott. Not to mention three prominent RFAs in Jaden Schwartz, Patrik Berglund and Vladimir Sobotka. They have $25M to fill those holes which makes it doable but it could be tight.

Okay maybe I'm dreaming a little but man would it ever be nice to pry someone like Barret Jackman out of there.

Some other players I'd love to see in Oilers silks:
Ryan O'Reilly
David Legwand
Derek Brassard
Carl Soderberg

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Dreger stirring the hornets nest implying that Tavares may want out, but he backtracked on it. Oh well.

If that was ever true, I'd go hard as a mofo after him

Nugent Hopkins + Yakupov + EDM 1st 2015 (top 3 protected)

Pick one of Reinhart/Draistal (or if you're lucky, gulp, Ekblad)

Hall Tavares Gagner
Perron Reinhart Eberle

Or

Hall Tavares UFA
Perron Gagner Eberle

Plus Ekblad/Nurse/Klefbom/JSchultz/Marincin on the back end in time ... yikes.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Dreger stirring the hornets nest implying that Tavares may want out, but he backtracked on it. Oh well.

Hall Tavares Gagner
Perron Reinhart Eberle

Or

Hall Tavares UFA
Perron Gagner Eberle

Yup. I'd push all my chips at the center of the table to acquire Tavares. If it requires 3 or 4 good pieces then so be it.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Draft Ekblad at #2

We have 3 needs the two you listed and a big grinding forward with skill. We can't win a board battle and we have no one besides Smyth who's willing to go battle in front of the net. Besides that I agree with everything you said.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Hall Tavares Gagner
Perron Reinhart Eberle

Or

Hall Tavares UFA
Perron Gagner Eberle

Thats way to much to give up. It'd make the Lindros deal look good in no time.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I would do it. Tavares IMO will be the best player in the game some day (probably at some point when Sid declines a bit) and with Hall, Eberle, Perron, Nurse, Klefbom, JSchultz, to put around him we'd have legit talent around such a center piece.

Yes the price is steep, but in the long term it would be worth it IMO.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney

Nugent Hopkins = Forsberg?
Yakupov = Duchesne, Ricci, Huffman, Hextall, Simon?
2015 First = 1993 First (Thibault, ergo, Roy), 1994 First and cash?!

I mean, you can disagree with the trade, but people forget how probably no trade ever can make the Lindros trade look good in no time.

Tavares, being one of the top 5 talents in the game, arguably the third or fourth best centre playing hockey right now... You offer the moon for that.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Nugent Hopkins = Forsberg?
Yakupov = Duchesne, Ricci, Huffman, Hextall, Simon?
2015 First = 1993 First (Thibault, ergo, Roy), 1994 First and cash?!

I mean, you can disagree with the trade, but people forget how probably no trade ever can make the Lindros trade look good in no time.

Tavares, being one of the top 5 talents in the game, arguably the third or fourth best centre playing hockey right now... You offer the moon for that.

Thats what people said about Lindros, I wouldn't be shocked if Nugent Hopkins went on to have a ppg career on the Island, Yakupov became a perennial 40+ goalscorer and our 1st next year was Macdavid because we still didn't have the defense to make the playoffs and spent all our assets on acquiring Tavares. I'd like to have him but not at that price.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Thats what people said about Lindros, I wouldn't be shocked if Nugent Hopkins went on to have a ppg career on the Island, Yakupov became a perennial 40+ goalscorer and our 1st next year was Macdavid because we still didn't have the defense to make the playoffs and spent all our assets on acquiring Tavares. I'd like to have him but not at that price.

Argument's sake:

For the Islanders to win this trade:
Nugent-Hopkins hits ppg (he is currently 0.68, Tavares was at 0.84 at the same time (counting full seasons, he was at 0.99 by his third))
Yakupov hits 40 goals every season (currently sitting at 38 in his career, granted, he's young and we all know the sophomore struggle, but a player with defensive woes I know you know about)
MacDavid drafted (he'd have to somehow fall out of the top 3 in the draft, seeing that the draft pick was top 3 protected)

Mind you, the Isles would have to do this with... Literally nobody. They have no experienced top 6 centre to take that place. Josh Bailey, their version of Gagner but worse, Okposo the winger, and...
Brock Nelson? Ryan Strome? They're almost in worse shape than we are without Tavares.

For the Oilers to win this trade:
Tavares becomes a game-breaking 100+ point guy (which he was tracking to till the injury), leads the team to the playoffs (he led a team by all means worse than the one he has to work with this year to the playoffs last year) and beyond (he's more than a bonafide #1C. He's better than Hall on just as crappy of a team. Miles and miles better than Nuge).

To not even mention Tavares costs less than Nugent-Hopkins.

3 firsts. 3 firsts for Tavares. You do that for Crosby, you do that for Stamkos, I reckon you do that for Tavares. Sad nobody would do that for Hall or Nugent Hopkins or Yakupov.

EDIT: It's stupid to argue this. Not because your points are invalid or anything, but this is seriously futile.

Tavares means too much to their organization to even entertain such a notion. If they trade him, they'll trade him right before his contract ends, because he means too much to the franchise. Even if he demanded out.

It's not even a question of quality at that point, it's a question of monetaric value. No Tavares, pretty much no Brooklyn.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Or RNH stays a 2nd line center, Yakupov stays a guy who can't play in the NHL and the Oilers finish much stronger off the backs of Tavares+Hall.

If you could get a superstar like Tavares for two guys who have big question marks than you do it.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Argument's sake:

For the Islanders to win this trade:
Nugent-Hopkins hits ppg (he is currently 0.68, Tavares was at 0.84 at the same time (counting full seasons, he was at 0.99 by his third))Yakupov hits 40 goals every season (currently sitting at 38 in his career, granted, he's young and we all know the sophomore struggle, but a player with defensive woes I know you know about)
MacDavid drafted (he'd have to somehow fall out of the top 3 in the draft, seeing that the draft pick was top 3 protected)

Mind you, the Isles would have to do this with... Literally nobody. They have no experienced top 6 centre to take that place. Josh Bailey, their version of Gagner but worse, Okposo the winger, and...
Brock Nelson? Ryan Strome? They're almost in worse shape than we are without Tavares.

For the Oilers to win this trade:
Tavares becomes a game-breaking 100+ point guy (which he was tracking to till the injury), leads the team to the playoffs (he led a team by all means worse than the one he has to work with this year to the playoffs last year) and beyond (he's more than a bonafide #1C. He's better than Hall on just as crappy of a team. Miles and miles better than Nuge).

To not even mention Tavares costs less than Nugent-Hopkins.

3 firsts. 3 firsts for Tavares. You do that for Crosby, you do that for Stamkos, I reckon you do that for Tavares. Sad nobody would do that for Hall or Nugent Hopkins or Yakupov.

EDIT: It's stupid to argue this. Not because your points are invalid or anything, but this is seriously futile.

Tavares means too much to their organization to even entertain such a notion. If they trade him, they'll trade him right before his contract ends, because he means too much to the franchise. Even if he demanded out.

It's not even a question of quality at that point, it's a question of monetaric value. No Tavares, pretty much no Brooklyn.

Tavares is great but a couple of points your overlooking. He was 19 when he started his career not 18 like the Nuge . He also had a full extra year in juniors , he also did not play his 2nd season with a bum shoulder all year and spending the following summer rehabbing it. He also is.72 not .68

ChefTO

Jan 13, 2010
Draft ekblad
Trade for Sutter maybe gagner plus
Trade eberle for another big c dubinsky or j.staal etc...
Sign iginla
Lineup

Hall rnh iginla
Perron dubinsky /staal yak
Lander Sutter arco
Hendricks Gordon pitlick
Smyth gazdic

Xxxx Schultz
Marincin petry
Ference ekblad
Fraser kelfbom

Xxxx= 1 yr deal for mezjaros or orpik

MinnesotaFats

Aug 10, 2005
Tavares isnt going anywhere, at least not this year with ownership being a big question mark. If you're buying a majority stake in that team, Tavares had better be an asset that comes with it. But if he's unhappy, maybe adding his best buddy, Gagner, to the team helps him a bit?!

Also, agree that two of our biggest needs are a top pairing D and a big, two-way #2C. Neither are easy to come by. We'll have to draft them. BUF is going to have NYI's pick this year for sure. I'd offer Yak straight up for it. If we can leave the draft with Ekblad and one of Bennet/Draisaitl/Reinhart, we are a lot better down the road.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
Like I've already said, I'd much rather trade for Eric Staal than John Tavares. Tavares is more of the same, small and skilled player who isn't good defensively. Staal would come cheaper, he's big, physical and good defensively.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Like I've already said, I'd much rather trade for Eric Staal than John Tavares. Tavares is more of the same, small and skilled player who isn't good defensively. Staal would come cheaper, he's big, physical and good defensively.

:laugh: I want to believe you, but Tavares is just better, much better.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

All due respect, but you are insane. I'd take Tavares over Staal on the basis of his age alone.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

And horribly inconsistent, with a gross contract given how he's producing.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
:laugh: I want to believe you, but Tavares is just better, much better.

He is not "much, much better". Their productions is basically the same and Staal brings physicality, faceoff wins and defensive ability. Also he wouldn't cost moon to get. Also he's way, way better fit to our top-6.

Let's put it this way. Would I rather trade RNH, 2014 1st, 2015 1st and something to get Tavares, who isn't physical, good defensively or a good fit - or would I trade Gagner, 2014 1st and 2015 1st for Staal who is physical, good defensively and a good fit. Only maniac would do the first one.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He is not "much, much better". Their productions is basically the same and Staal brings physicality, faceoff wins and defensive ability. Also he wouldn't cost moon to get. Also he's way, way better fit to our top-6.

Let's put it this way. Would I rather trade RNH, 2014 1st, 2015 1st and something to get Tavares, who isn't physical, good defensively or a good fit - or would I trade Gagner, 2014 1st and 2015 1st for Staal who is physical, good defensively and a good fit. Only maniac would do the first one.

John Tavares is one of the top-5 centers in the NHL, Eric Staal is not, it's that simple.

If your point is you would rather have Nuge and Staal v. Tavares and Gagner, then I will agree the former makes more sense then the latter, but John Tavares is just a better hockey player then Eric Staal and he's younger and cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad