Proposal: Proposals Thread: Everything But The TV, Couch and Kitchen Sink Are For Sale!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dyzfunctioned

Oct 4, 2012
He's -4 on the second best team in the East. Now I don't really give +/- too much weight but when you have guys that are +31 like Matt Niskanen or Chris Kunitz who's +24 on your team, it seems to me like he's not really shutting much down.

Compare Sutter with Carl Soderberg on Boston (in his first full season in the NHL) who's an SEL vet and is 3 years older than Sutter and is also 6'3". He's got 17 more points on a more defensive team, plays over a minute and a half less per game (Sutter 15:31 ATOI vs Soderberg 13:58 ATOI) and is a plus 6 on Boston. Now again, you can say +/- isn't an important stat but imo Soderberg's success has a lot to do with the fact that he's 216 lbs and is probably a lot stronger and more defensively responsible than Sutter.

If you want to argue Boston's superior defense and goaltending, okay np, I'll give you that. But please explain why an SEL vet is outscoring an 11th overall pick who plays on one of the best offensive teams in the league? I just don't see Sutter as the answer to our problems down the middle.

Tyler Johnson is 2nd on Tampa in +/- at +19, is outscoring both of the above in his rookie season, and is 5'9 182 lbs.

Not sure I see your point here.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
He's -4 on the second best team in the East. Now I don't really give +/- too much weight but when you have guys that are +31 like Matt Niskanen or Chris Kunitz who's +24 on your team, it seems to me like he's not really shutting much down.

Compare Sutter with Carl Soderberg on Boston (in his first full season in the NHL) who's an SEL vet and is 3 years older than Sutter and is also 6'3". He's got 17 more points on a more defensive team, plays over a minute and a half less per game (Sutter 15:31 ATOI vs Soderberg 13:58 ATOI) and is a plus 6 on Boston. Now again, you can say +/- isn't an important stat but imo Soderberg's success has a lot to do with the fact that he's 216 lbs and is probably a lot stronger and more defensively responsible than Sutter.

If you want to argue Boston's superior defense and goaltending, okay np, I'll give you that. But please explain why an SEL vet is outscoring an 11th overall pick who plays on one of the best offensive teams in the league? I just don't see Sutter as the answer to our problems down the middle.

Well Soderberg is a couple years older and I'm not trying to say that Sutter will produce more offense then him or be a better fit but Soderberg has played up and down the line up on a very very deep Bruins teams. He has had linemates ranging from Reilly Smith and Iginla but has spent most of his time with Chris Kelly and Louie Eriksson.

Brandon Sutter has spent the year lining up between the likes of Gibbons or Pyatt or Glass or Megna.

I'd say your production would be better with Eriksson and Kelly then a couple of fringe NHL players. He has next to no support playing in pittsburghs weak bottom 6 and he is taking a majority of the defensive zone starts.

If you put him in a secondary scoring role between Perron and Eberle/Yakupov I don't think it's a stretch to think he can put up 50 points while more importantly helping to keep the puck out of our own net.

I'm not trying to say that Sutter will answer the 2C question I'm just saying he possibly could, he would most likely be cheap to aquire in a trade and he would be a relatively cheap contract, if he doesn;t work out then he is still a great bottom 6 player.

I think we need to be targeting players like Sutter and Soderberg who may have more to offer but are buried on very deep teams. Another guy from Boston I would take a flyer on would be Caron. He is a RFA this summer and is unlikely to be signed by the Bruins but he has some size, does good board and corner work and is good in front of the net. He is 23 and been working hard in a very good boston developmental system.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
So on the main trade board I think a Habs fan proposed:

Eric Staal and Jordan Staal

for

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Nail Yakupov, and 2015 1st.

I'd do it no matter the contracts and potential lottery pick. The Staals don't have wingers like Hall, Eberle, and Perron in Carolina

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Eric Staal is too old for my liking. If we trade for him, then we have to be ready to win now, otherwise he'll soon be into his 30s, and we're nowhere close to that with this blue line especially. There's a good chance they still would not make the playoffs next season.

It just doesn't match up with the rest of the core we have.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
If we traded away RNH, Yakupov, and our 2015 1st and didn't bring in at least 1 very good top 4 defenseman I would punch myself in the face. The staals would be nice but we really really really need great defenseman.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
Actually I know for a fact but think whatever you want. I dont know what else was on the table but I know 100% he was going back into the draft if the Oilers owned his rights.

Sloth Slothersons*

Carlyle to Vancouver

Tortorella to Edmonton

Eakins to Toronto

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

for

I'd do it no matter the contracts and potential lottery pick. The Staals don't have wingers like Hall, Eberle, and Perron in Carolina

What an awful proposal.

Alberta Oilfire

Jun 4, 2010
Central Alberta

for

Too much I'd say, I also saw something like Yak for J. Staal and liked it, but the Canes fans didn't like their 2nd line C situation after that deal, how about Yak and Gags for J. Staal and Ruutu? Maybe not enough return there who knows

Ya OK Ruutu went to NJD

Last edited:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Trade Yakupov, Gagner, Eberle for effective hard working players.

Eberle + Petry for first pairing d-man.
Yakupov for power forward.
Gagner for bottom six winger.
Downie

Sign Bolland

Hall-Hopkins-Power forward
Perron-Bolland-Best free agent we can get
Gagner trade-Gordon-downie
Smyth-Lander-Gazdic

Nurse-New guy from Petry/Ebs trade
Klefbom-Schultz
Marincin-Ekblad
Ference

That's right! The kids will actually save us! GO KIDS! *takes meds*

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
The weird thing is....if any other team had the assets the oilers do and were in a division with Van and Calgary....everyone would be excited and anticipating what any competent gm could do with the riches;

"Quick retool and then the playoffs...here we come...."

However, since we're talking about Edmonton and it's legacy of incompetent management and " teamsplodin' " we really have zero expectations next year and in the near future....

we're all basically just waiting to die now....or subconsciously cheering against the oilers...or both...

...and you know what really grinds my gears?

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
Trade Yakupov, Gagner, Eberle for effective hard working players.

Eberle + Petry for first pairing d-man.
Yakupov for power forward.
Gagner for bottom six winger.
Downie

Sign Bolland

Hall-Hopkins-Power forward
Perron-Bolland-Best free agent we can get
Gagner trade-Gordon-downie
Smyth-Lander-Gazdic

Nurse-New guy from Petry/Ebs trade
Klefbom-Schultz
Marincin-Ekblad
Ference

That's right! The kids will actually save us! GO KIDS! *takes meds*

Nurse playing 1st pairing minutes as a rookie? Our top 3 left side D men having a combined <100 games of experience? Bolland as a 2C? Don't think so.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
If Boychuck could be had and is willing to waive his NTC to come here, I think he'd be a great pick up. Logged a lot of time at ES and SH. Physical, blocks a lot of shots and is consistent.

XXXX-Boychuk
Marincin-Petry
Ference-Schultz

If we can get a puck moving LHD defender to play with him, we may actually have a top-pairing that doesn't get dominated against the Joe Thorntons of the world.

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
If Boychuck could be had and is willing to waive his NTC to come here, I think he'd be a great pick up. Logged a lot of time at ES and SH. Physical, blocks a lot of shots and is consistent.

XXXX-Boychuk
Marincin-Petry
Ference-Schultz

If we can get a puck moving LHD defender to play with him, we may actually have a top-pairing that doesn't get dominated against the Joe Thorntons of the world.

I don't know much about Boychuk, where would he slot on a good defence?

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I don't know much about Boychuk, where would he slot on a good defence?

He's already on a good defense in Boston and plays in the top 4. He'd be a good acquisition for a pick and a prospect kind of deal.. possibly another Perron like trade? Boychuk's from Edmonton too.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Is Boston really going to deal Boychuk? I mean I'm pretty skeptical.

Chara is getting older, Krug is strictly offensive, Hamilton is still learning what type of game he wants to play as he gets better, and Seidenberg will be coming off of a major injury.

I think Boychuk is staying another year in Boston. Might be a trade target next summer. I guess it depends on how much they trust Bartkowski or if they re-sign Meszaros too.

I'm also not convinced he's a top pairing D-man, we need guys who can move the puck, Boychuk strikes me more as a defensive D-man with physical capability, maybe an upgrade on Ference.

Sloth Slothersons*

Lander or Pitlick + 2nd for Boychuk.

2014's Perron trade. This time with more dmen.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You'd think fans would realize how big of a bullet we dodged by missing out on Clarkson last year. Now, instead fans want us to use the money we didn't spend on one of the leagues worst contracts to try to one-up it and give that kind of money to Bolland, Niskanen, Markov, etc.

What? You mean actual NHL players?

Our team absolutely sucks at acquiring free agents. Look at the past 10 years and show me our track record, please. If we can get David Bolland - a genuine Canuck-killer, you do it. If you can get an actual top-4 NHL defenseman in Markov, you do it.

We have the worst defense in the NHL, bar none. We have the worst forward depth in the NHL, bar none. We are hardly in any position to be waving our fingers at players like Bolland and Markov when the likes of Mark Fraser, Jesse Joensuu and Ryan Jones are NHL regulars.

These guys are free and we're nowhere near the cap ceiling. You need to remember Sam Gagner at $4.8M is the benchmark for any centres signing here. Love it or hate it, it's a fact. If you balk at paying that premium, you're looking at RNH-Gagner-Gordon once more.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Bolland, Boychuk, Markov, Downie, Moss, Ekblad would be a helluva offseason.

Hall-Gagner-Yakupov
Downie-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gordon-Moss
Smyth-Bolland-Jones

Markov-Boychuk
Petry-Marincin
Ference-J. Schultz
Ekblad

Scrivens
Fasth

We have such a far way to go till we're a decent team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad