Proposal: Proposals Thread: Everything But The TV, Couch and Kitchen Sink Are For Sale!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovacs

Jul 22, 2013
Alberta
Bolland, Boychuk, Markov, Downie, Moss, Ekblad would be a helluva offseason.

Hall-Gagner-Yakupov
Downie-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gordon-Moss
Smyth-Bolland-Jones

Markov-Boychuk
Petry-Marincin
Ference-J. Schultz
Ekblad

Scrivens
Fasth

We have such a far way to go till we're a decent team.

Wait, what? we'd have to throw 6mil a year to get him to come then throw him with the 2 lesser Ryans on the 4th?

I like everything else though :)

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
Is Boston really going to deal Boychuk? I mean I'm pretty skeptical.

Chara is getting older, Krug is strictly offensive, Hamilton is still learning what type of game he wants to play as he gets better, and Seidenberg will be coming off of a major injury.

I think Boychuk is staying another year in Boston. Might be a trade target next summer. I guess it depends on how much they trust Bartkowski or if they re-sign Meszaros too.

I'm also not convinced he's a top pairing D-man, we need guys who can move the puck, Boychuk strikes me more as a defensive D-man with physical capability, maybe an upgrade on Ference.
Boychuk will be a UFA next summer and i don't think Boston will be able to afford him so there is a possibilty he could be dealt to grab some assets. But i wouldn't be surprised if he stayed in Boston.

moneygoalie31

Jul 14, 2007
Sign Andrei Markov, Matt Niskenen, Steve Ott, David Moss And Steve Downie
Trade Eberle,Gagner and Petry to PHI for the Schenn's and Laughton
Draft Ekblad

Hall Schenn Perron
Yak Nuge Downie
Ott Gordon Moss
Hendricks Lander Pitlick
Gadzic

Markov Schultz
Niskenen Schenn
Ference Marincin
Klefbolm

Scrivens
Fasth

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Sign Andrei Markov, Matt Niskenen, Steve Ott, David Moss And Steve Downie
Trade Eberle,Gagner and Petry to PHI for the Schenn's and Laughton
Draft Ekblad

Hall Schenn Perron
Yak Nuge Downie
Ott Gordon Moss
Hendricks Lander Pitlick
Gadzic

Markov Schultz
Niskenen Schenn
Ference Marincin
Klefbolm

Scrivens
Fasth

That's amazingly bad.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
What? You mean actual NHL players?

Our team absolutely sucks at acquiring free agents. Look at the past 10 years and show me our track record, please. If we can get David Bolland - a genuine Canuck-killer, you do it. If you can get an actual top-4 NHL defenseman in Markov, you do it.

We have the worst defense in the NHL, bar none. We have the worst forward depth in the NHL, bar none. We are hardly in any position to be waving our fingers at players like Bolland and Markov when the likes of Mark Fraser, Jesse Joensuu and Ryan Jones are NHL regulars.

These guys are free and we're nowhere near the cap ceiling. You need to remember Sam Gagner at $4.8M is the benchmark for any centres signing here. Love it or hate it, it's a fact. If you balk at paying that premium, you're looking at RNH-Gagner-Gordon once more.

Yup that's it, crappy contracts for mediocre/declining players is the only answer. :sarcasm::help:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I agree with you JimmiJenkins,I was laughing in the sarcastic tone.

:laugh:, fair enough, I kinda stole the line from the "Pick of Destiny" the Tenacious D movie, a pretty funny scene involving Jack Black's character learning the "power slide"

If the Canes are really looking to "save money", could the Oilers convince them to give up a bunch (the Staals) in a deal where the also give up Ward and the Oilers compliance buy him out?

Maybe something crazy like

To CAR: Eberle, Gagner, Marincin and Gernat

To EDM: E&J Staal and Cam Ward

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
Tyler Johnson is 2nd on Tampa in +/- at +19, is outscoring both of the above in his rookie season, and is 5'9 182 lbs.

Not sure I see your point here.

Take a look at Tyler Johnson's ice time and games played. He averages 18:53 vs Soderberg's 13:58. A whole 5 minutes more per game and 8 more games played. Outscoring Soderberg by 6 points isn't much of an accomplishment given the opportunity he's received by coach Cooper. Furthermore, Soderberg's been playing behind Krejci and Bergeron all year and didn't get 2nd line minutes the way Johnson did after Stamkos went down for months.

I'll give you the point about production by smaller players and good for Johnson to be producing this well at 23......except the Oilers don't need or want anymore small players in our top 6 we need size. That's why I brought up Soderberg to begin with, he's bigger than Sutter and is more successful in the role he's been given.

Also, I remember a small Tampa rookie named Cory Conacher who was signed by the Lightning in 2012 who was the league's darling until he got traded to Ottawa as part of the Ben Bishop deal and the wheels fell off. I'm not saying Johnson is the next Conacher but it's a similar story.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Boychuk will be a UFA next summer and i don't think Boston will be able to afford him so there is a possibilty he could be dealt to grab some assets. But i wouldn't be surprised if he stayed in Boston.

I think he might be after a bigger pay day. He took a hometown discount with his last contract, and he's getting up there in age (30), I'd imagine he wants to cash in before he loses leverage.

Boston has a pretty set top-4:

Chara-Hamilton-Seidenberg-Krug. They also have Joe Morrow waiting in the wings who isn't too far away from being NHL ready.

They get an asset for Boychuk, draft a replacement, and the cycle continues. (what a great run organization FTR)

McDeathbyCheerios*

:laugh:, fair enough, I kinda stole the line from the "Pick of Destiny" the Tenacious D movie, a pretty funny scene involving Jack Black's character learning the "power slide"

If the Canes are really looking to "save money", could the Oilers convince them to give up a bunch (the Staals) in a deal where the also give up Ward and the Oilers compliance buy him out?

Maybe something crazy like

To CAR: Eberle, Gagner, Marincin and Gernat

To EDM: E&J Staal and Cam Ward
No Cam Ward, not wanting to waste a compliance buy out on him.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
No Cam Ward, not wanting to waste a compliance buy out on him.

It's not like the Oilers can "keep" them after this year, they expire (iirc), so they can't save if for someone.

Also, contrary to alot of noise made here, the Oilers don't have a guy worthy of a compliance buyout this year.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
Well Soderberg is a couple years older and I'm not trying to say that Sutter will produce more offense then him or be a better fit but Soderberg has played up and down the line up on a very very deep Bruins teams. He has had linemates ranging from Reilly Smith and Iginla but has spent most of his time with Chris Kelly and Louie Eriksson.

Brandon Sutter has spent the year lining up between the likes of Gibbons or Pyatt or Glass or Megna.

I'd say your production would be better with Eriksson and Kelly then a couple of fringe NHL players. He has next to no support playing in pittsburghs weak bottom 6 and he is taking a majority of the defensive zone starts.

If you put him in a secondary scoring role between Perron and Eberle/Yakupov I don't think it's a stretch to think he can put up 50 points while more importantly helping to keep the puck out of our own net.

I'm not trying to say that Sutter will answer the 2C question I'm just saying he possibly could, he would most likely be cheap to aquire in a trade and he would be a relatively cheap contract, if he doesn;t work out then he is still a great bottom 6 player.

I think we need to be targeting players like Sutter and Soderberg who may have more to offer but are buried on very deep teams. Another guy from Boston I would take a flyer on would be Caron. He is a RFA this summer and is unlikely to be signed by the Bruins but he has some size, does good board and corner work and is good in front of the net. He is 23 and been working hard in a very good boston developmental system.

The bolded is the issue. I don't think Soderberg is the answer to our problems at 2C anymore than Sutter. The thing is that we can't go looking through some other team's trash bin hoping to find a gem for cheap. Like that works great for depth guys and maybe one or both of those guys can be a good depth pick up. But we need to give up some assets and get ourselves some quality on D or at 2C who have size. I don't really think there's any other way around it. If it comes down to Soderberg vs Sutter though, I take Soderberg.

Caron would be a good pick up as a depth guy too.

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
Apparently Colorado is only willing to pay Stastny $5 mill or else he's going somewhere else. But this is Kypreos speaking so who knows, after the MRI thing.

dyzfunctioned

Oct 4, 2012
Take a look at Tyler Johnson's ice time and games played. He averages 18:53 vs Soderberg's 13:58. A whole 5 minutes more per game and 8 more games played. Outscoring Soderberg by 6 points isn't much of an accomplishment given the opportunity he's received by coach Cooper. Furthermore, Soderberg's been playing behind Krejci and Bergeron all year and didn't get 2nd line minutes the way Johnson did after Stamkos went down for months.

I'll give you the point about production by smaller players and good for Johnson to be producing this well at 23......except the Oilers don't need or want anymore small players in our top 6 we need size. That's why I brought up Soderberg to begin with, he's bigger than Sutter and is more successful in the role he's been given.

Also, I remember a small Tampa rookie named Cory Conacher who was signed by the Lightning in 2012 who was the league's darling until he got traded to Ottawa as part of the Ben Bishop deal and the wheels fell off. I'm not saying Johnson is the next Conacher but it's a similar story.

You're missing the point. You said Soderberg is stronger and had a better +/- and therefore was better defensively than Sutter.

I pointed out a player that was small and had a far better +/- and was a rookie nonetheless to point out that +/- is irrelevant (and so is size for that matter).

Datsyuk and Lidstrom have been - +/- players before. They're also not particularly big. Must be bad defensively.

McDeathbyCheerios*

We need to dump the bad players and move our good players around the line up to get skill on all three and then fill in the blanks

Hall - ???? - ????
Perron - RNH -????
???? - Gordon -????
Gazdic - Hendricks -????

This is us in my mind trading Eberle and Gagner along with Yak

Looking at OKC do we have anyone ready to move up forward wise....
I say slot Arcobello on the top line with Hall as a right wing. Arco is a good play maker strong defensively and with small Eberle gone maybe Arco can flourish into a MSL style guy. Pitlick Imo can also move into that fourth line spot so without bringing guys in we have a full fourth line and are missing a first line center, a second line right wing and a third line right wing.

Looking at guys in free agency we could grab Moss for the third line as well as Kulemin... And that's honestly all I feel we could get that would work.

So after that we have a lineup of

Hall - ???? - Arcobello
Perron - RNH - ????
Kulemin - Gordon - Moss
Gazdic - Hendricks - Pitlick

Before I talk trades lets look at defense. In my mind this is a guarantee going into next season

???? - Schultz
Marincin -????
Ferrence -????

Do this leaves us with 3 open spots. We have 3 open spots that our rookies can fight for but I believe next year the only spot given to a rookie should be along with Ferrence. Both Schultz and Marincin need someone strong to play with to improve themselves and the team.

Looking in free agency there are two guys who stand out to me Markov and Niskanen. We can go two ways. Go for the older solid player to help improve the rookies we have and leave room for guys coming up in a year or so, or go with a younger guy and have him stay. Imo I say we go for Markov and have him pair with Justin Schultz to teach him more d while having guy that can show him to still be a point getter.

From our rookies I feel like Nurse, Klefbom or Musil will be paired with Ferrence it'll be down to whoever earns it in camp.

With this we need to trade to fill 3 holes. #1 center, top 4 dman and a top 6 right winger.

To trade we have a multitude of prospects, the 1st round draft pick, other draft picks, Petry, Gagner and Eberle.

Yakupov+ to Buffalo for Drew Stafford+ (add picks to balance)

Gagner(30%)+ Gernat to Columbus for Anisimov

Eberle to Boston for Boychuk (Boston gets a replacement for Iginla and we get a top 4 dman)

The 1st pick we keep to draft or we can add it above to balance deals and get more in return.

Next year lineup complete.

Hall - Anisimov - Arcobello
Perron - RNH - Stafford
Kulemin - Gordon - Moss
Gazdic - Hendricks - Pitlick

Markov - Schultz
Marincin - Boychuk
Ferrence - Rookie

Scrivens
Fasth

This line up looks miles better .
All the lines are balanced Imo. All of them look like they could play touch and put up a few points.
The defense core looks more solid as well with a good guy in Boychuk and a veteran in Markov added.

dyzfunctioned

Oct 4, 2012
What? You mean actual NHL players?

Our team absolutely sucks at acquiring free agents. Look at the past 10 years and show me our track record, please. If we can get David Bolland - a genuine Canuck-killer, you do it. If you can get an actual top-4 NHL defenseman in Markov, you do it.

We have the worst defense in the NHL, bar none. We have the worst forward depth in the NHL, bar none. We are hardly in any position to be waving our fingers at players like Bolland and Markov when the likes of Mark Fraser, Jesse Joensuu and Ryan Jones are NHL regulars.

These guys are free and we're nowhere near the cap ceiling. You need to remember Sam Gagner at $4.8M is the benchmark for any centres signing here. Love it or hate it, it's a fact. If you balk at paying that premium, you're looking at RNH-Gagner-Gordon once more.

You mean learn nothing from the Clarkson deal and throw a ridiculous contract at other players that are going to fall off the face of the Earth like him? Rather than actually looking at signing decent players to reasonable contracts?

I'd rather throw reasonable 2 year deals at the less sought after guys than back up the Brinks truck to the top end guys. Look at last year - Clarke MacArthur, Tom Gilbert, Benoit Pouliot, Jaromir Jagr, Mason Raymond, Nathan Gerbe, Dustin Penner - these signings were cheap, low risk and panned out in a huge way. Meanwhile, look at how the big money deals turned out - Clarkson, Clowe, Horton, Roy, Weiss, Lecavalier, Briere... I think the only ones that have really paid off are Filpulla, Ribeiro.

McDeathbyCheerios*

You mean learn nothing from the Clarkson deal and throw a ridiculous contract at other players that are going to fall off the face of the Earth like him? Rather than actually looking at signing decent players to reasonable contracts?

I'd rather throw reasonable 2 year deals at the less sought after guys than back up the Brinks truck to the top end guys. Look at last year - Clarke MacArthur, Tom Gilbert, Benoit Pouliot, Jaromir Jagr, Mason Raymond, Nathan Gerbe, Dustin Penner - these signings were cheap, low risk and panned out in a huge way. Meanwhile, look at how the big money deals turned out - Clarkson, Clowe, Horton, Roy, Weiss, Lecavalier, Briere... I think the only ones that have really paid off are Filpulla, Ribeiro.
Those deals were low risk due to the fact that most of those players were declining already or are old

McDeathbyCheerios*

If Arcobello is in your top-6, you're not good.
I don't see anyone that has his upside in free agency, also dont see how we can find someone better then him with our assets. If he can put up at least 40-50 points on the year he will be an improvement on what we have due to his strong defensive play and his willingness to finish his damn hits. Arcobello is still third amongst forwards in hits and he hasn't played here in a while

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I think Anisimov is a really good, realistic target. He would add much needed size to the top six, could get along nicely with Yak, and could be expendable in Columbus.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I think Anisimov is a really good, realistic target. He would add much needed size to the top six, could get along nicely with Yak, and could be expendable in Columbus.
Anisimov is my #1 target for centers. Although I slightly disagree with the Yak part. Yak needs to stay out of the top 6 for a while if he stays until he can figure things out Imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad