Proposal: Proposals Thread: Everything But The TV, Couch and Kitchen Sink Are For Sale!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I would if the price was Gagner. He could be a solid 2nd pairing guy or reliable #1b guy. Even if he continued to decline, you could parlay him into a pick or depth guy, much like what Gagner was rumored to get.

That being said, I have reservations. First, he is going to be overpaid @ 7x7. Second, he was ran out of Calgary for being a horrible locker room presence, and (heresay) everyone I have talked to that played against Phanuef in his early years say he is the biggest POS they have met.

He also seems to play his worst when the games matter. He was horrible in the 2011 leafs collapse, the meltdown in game 7, and is now horrible in the current meltdown

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Heck yes I would take Phaneuf. Despite his downfalls he is still a legitimate top pairing defenseman who is capable of playing 25 minutes a night. He is not a top 10 d-man in the league. But he's top 25 probably and he would easily be the best defenseman on the Oilers.

His contract is big, probably an overpay. But it isn't a gross overpay considering the contributions he can make to a team. If he was realistically acquirable MacT would hopefully push pretty hard for him.

Dion Phaneuf is not an ideal answer to the defensive problems of this team, but considering the position the Oilers are in you can't turn such a player down. If he was available of course.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
I was hoping he'd make it through to UFA to sign with the Oilers at the start of the season.

Not exactly the defenseman we need but he would have been as close as we get without giving up major assets. His poor play since the extension makes me think twice but I probably would still trade for him as long as the price isn't too high.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
I've never been a fan of him since he came to the Leafs. Loved him when he broke into the league with Calgary. He had a mean streak he just doesn't show anymore. Earlier this year I began to accept him for what he had become, a conservative positional d-man. But with his skill set he won't be successful that way and it's caught up to him big time.

He has transformed from a bone crunching in your face player into an immobile player who gets outmuscled by the Alex Steens of the game.

This is just wrong. Dion is the last guy on the ice people want to meet in the open and his play has dropped and everyone has noticed but it's rather obvious he's playing injured. His minutes have been dropped and he looks like he can barely get going.

That said I watched him tear the helmet right off a Red Wings head last night for no reason other than they were in a board battle. He also held two guys up in the corner long enough for help to arrive.

We also saw him play hurt in the playoffs last year and I don't agree with it but Carlyle had him in there, barely able to walk in the final moments of the season last year. So obviously his coached believed, barely walking, this guy could be a difference maker.

I say this guy has more heart than any D-man Edmonton has had in a long time and if he's up for grabs we take him.

My caveats would be his physical health and possible pay retention.

I don't see Toronto moving him though. People can scape goat if they like but it looks pretty obvious he's hurt and if he is management knows that and they aren't going to send him packing to appease the fans.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Dion is miles better than anyone we have here. He's no Weber or Doughty or Pietrangelo- but he is a legit top pairing guy, despite his shortcomings. Plus- Friedman suspected that he's been playing injured since the Olympic break.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I don't understand the logic of most of these deals. Our defense is terrible and everyone wants to trade away Klefbom and Marincin and they are pretty well going to be two of our best dmen next year with the way they are playing already. We lack size on our team and once Marincin packs on a few pounds that will be two big dmen on our back end. Stop trading these dmen away for centremen our wingers.

I think Berglund can be had in the off season. He is a RFA and has a cap hit of 3.25mil this year so his qualifying offer will be about 3.5mil. STL is not going to spend that much on a 3C. They could let Roy walk but Berglund would be an ok 2C.

I am pretty sure that we will either get Draisailt or Reinhart at the draft so the 2C problem will be fixed any way. It will take them 2 seasons though until they will become effective 2Cs

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Actually I would take that bet. Eberle isnt needed here while we downgrade on defense. It's a bad trade for the flyers

It does not make sense for PHI to trade any of their dmen because it is not a strong position for them. I think they can trade from a position of strength which would be centre man and wingers.

I would love to get Hartnel on this team but I can't see PHI moving him.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Nope. Never ever, ever. I like watching him implode in Toronto. That's gonna be a fun contract to watch them navigate around, then add Clarkson....gonna lose some good players because of those contracts.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
Well he would be an upgrade by far to anything we have which says a lot more about our defense than anything.

A yes from me

Eskie Jetski

Jun 25, 2004
Would Matt Niskanen be an attractive option for a UFA signing? Granted, he is playing on a high scoring Penguins team, but he's scored a career high 41 points on the blueline and his cap hit is 2.3 million this year. He's also a +32.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Nope. Never ever, ever. I like watching him implode in Toronto. That's gonna be a fun contract to watch them navigate around, then add Clarkson....gonna lose some good players because of those contracts.

They can eat $2M/year on that contract, or they can keep him. Much like Luongo's situation, I guess.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Would Matt Niskanen be an attractive option for a UFA signing? Granted, he is playing on a high scoring Penguins team, but he's scored a career high 41 points on the blueline and his cap hit is 2.3 million this year. He's also a +32.

I'd say he's the most realistic option for the Oilers to acquire a top pairing defenceman this summer AINEC.
I just hope he doesn't sign a discounted extension to stay with the Penguins. With Letang's condition I'm not sure the Penguins will give him up willy nilly.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I don't understand the logic of most of these deals. Our defense is terrible and everyone wants to trade away Klefbom and Marincin and they are pretty well going to be two of our best dmen next year with the way they are playing already. We lack size on our team and once Marincin packs on a few pounds that will be two big dmen on our back end. Stop trading these dmen away for centremen our wingers.

I think Berglund can be had in the off season. He is a RFA and has a cap hit of 3.25mil this year so his qualifying offer will be about 3.5mil. STL is not going to spend that much on a 3C. They could let Roy walk but Berglund would be an ok 2C.

I am pretty sure that we will either get Draisailt or Reinhart at the draft so the 2C problem will be fixed any way. It will take them 2 seasons though until they will become effective 2Cs

Berglund would be a very good 2C to acquire, I wonder what it would take to get him.
If we get Reinhart or Draisaitl this summer, I don't think I'd start them in the top-6 next year (maybe Reinhart). Would be a lot of pressure on such a young team. Adding an 18 year old to our top-6 is not what we need right now.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
TML doesn't have a compliance buyout. They have to deal with the rest of their contracts. Not good for them at all.

If they have to save money to pursue a high level free agent, sal ret Phaneuf might become a trade.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Right.

Maybe in a couple years, though...

Seems to me we won't need a declining Dion in a few years, especially if we end up with Ekblad. We have 3-4 guys that will be up in the next 1-4 years.

Nurse, ?Ekblad, Davidson, Gernat, Musil, Simpson, plus Marincin and Klefbom are already going to be here next year IMHO. Why would we need Dion in a few years at that price? Seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad