Proposal: Proposals Thread: Everything But The TV, Couch and Kitchen Sink Are For Sale!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maccer

Bring back Pat!!
Mar 10, 2013
Leafs Nation
Would you take Dion Phaneuf?

He's from Edmonton, him and Ference could benefit from playing together, and the asking price would be pretty cheap right now.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Has he really crapped the bed since signing his extension? I know that you guys are on an 8 game skid but I haven't watched much of the Leafs this season.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
In b4 Faneuf fer Gagne :sarcasm:

EDIT: To be frank, if he's super cheap (Phaneuf), I'd think about it. His contract is huge, he's been pretty terrible in the last little bit for the Maple Leafs, and I don't know, I've never really liked him. But, then again, we barely have any competent defencemen.

Maccer

Bring back Pat!!
Mar 10, 2013
Leafs Nation
Has he really crapped the bed since signing his extension? I know that you guys are on an 8 game skid but I haven't watched much of the Leafs this season.

I've never been a fan of him since he came to the Leafs. Loved him when he broke into the league with Calgary. He had a mean streak he just doesn't show anymore. Earlier this year I began to accept him for what he had become, a conservative positional d-man. But with his skill set he won't be successful that way and it's caught up to him big time.

He has transformed from a bone crunching in your face player into an immobile player who gets outmuscled by the Alex Steens of the game.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
As much of a trainwreck as he is, he is a top pairing defenseman who is capable of logging big minutes on the back end. Paired with Petry, he'd be fine. If the price was right, I wouldn't think twice. Toronto eats some salary? Even better.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
He is a top pairing defenseman like the guys here are top pairing defensemen. Theres no one else better on the team but that doesnt make him an nhl top pairing defenseman.

No. He is awful now. No confidence and he'd get eaten alive by Edmonton media and fans. Contract is too large. I wouldnt even offer a 7th for him.

Hes really lost his confidence all of a sudden. Hes making just flat out ridiculously awful mistakes right now. Edmonton isnt the place for him to find it again with that awful contract.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I've never been a fan of him since he came to the Leafs. Loved him when he broke into the league with Calgary. He had a mean streak he just doesn't show anymore. Earlier this year I began to accept him for what he had become, a conservative positional d-man. But with his skill set he won't be successful that way and it's caught up to him big time.

He has transformed from a bone crunching in your face player into an immobile player who gets outmuscled by the Alex Steens of the game.

Thanks for your honest take. We need a steadying presence on our blueline and some physicality if he can't bring either at his price tag then it should be a tough sell to our management key word being SHOULD! Since you're already here, has Clarkson been as bad as some make him out to be this season? He's a guy that I still wouldn't mind but not at that price tag.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Gags for Phaneuf would be a intersting swap if we draft Reinhat, Bennet or Driasatl.

He is a solid D man, and I would be happy to have him, but, I think his contract long term would really hurt this team. In the end we would have to let one of our young players go to keep him. I don't want to do that.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Oilers should be begging for guys that can play 25 minutes a night, put up 30 points, and be a +5 on a team that has 3-4 regular players who are not minuses. All while playing the toughest competition (I assume).

Weber isn't going to fall into the Oilers' lap. They're not going to get a guy better than Phaneuf in free agency. If the Leafs were dealing him, MacT should be all over it. The Oilers are absolutely desperate for a top-pairing defenceman, and Phaneuf is one. Good luck doing better than that.

Maccer

Bring back Pat!!
Mar 10, 2013
Leafs Nation
Thanks for your honest take. We need a steadying presence on our blueline and some physicality if he can't bring either at his price tag then it should be a tough sell to our management key word being SHOULD! Since you're already here, has Clarkson been as bad as some make him out to be this season? He's a guy that I still wouldn't mind but not at that price tag.

Clarkson has been frustrating, but he has been winning more puck battles lately and has some good energy shifts. I think under a new coach he could be more successful.

I think a good way to evaluate a coach is by looking at the big picture and seeing if he is getting the best out of anybody. In our case nobody except for the top line is having a career season, and that is more the Phil Kessel effect than anything. Everybody he has ever played with on the leafs has put up career numbers. Bottom line is nobody on this team is excelling and guys like Lupul, Kulemin, Kadri, ect are having bad seasons like Clarkson albeit not as noticeable.

I think he'll stick around and turn into a decent 2/3 liner with the pressure off of a new team, 10 game suspension, and a new coach breathing some life into him.

n7

Oct 15, 2011
Edmonton
Okay, he's on 49m, 7 years, that is actually kinda bad.

I'd do it but would want to send salary back, like Gagner+ whatever.
And maybe they retain some of that salary too...

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
I hate Dion Phaneuf. And I would take him, with this albatross contract, on our team right now. That's how terrible our back end is. However, the term on the deal means we will be unable to trade him if and when our other left shot D are ready to play big minutes down the road. Basically, I'd take the chance if we didn't give up much.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Yeah, you would kind of have to from the Oilers' perspective. It shouldn't matter how he is perceived from hfboards generated conjecture, the Oilers really have no choice.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Its funny.

He was hated in Calgary. Fans ripped him for his lack luster play, bone headed mistakes, and just generally disliked him.

He then went to Toronto and has looked good more than bad... until he got his contract anyways.

If you just look at his numbers he looks better than he actually is. Now that he got a big contract I am afraid both his numbers and his overall game is going to go into a dose dive.

I wouldn't touch Phanuef with a ten foot pole.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Phaneuf's value would be low right now and I think if he's made available, it would be worth pursuing. IMO, he would benefit from getting out from under Randy Carlyle.

Connor McOilers

We have the precious
Feb 16, 2013
Yes.

He's overpaid, seems like a major dick, and I'd hate to have him in the room.

But he'd be our best defenseman by a mile and really we need to take whatever we can get at this point.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I only hear the worst stories about him from friends that knew him growing up. I dont want him hear.

The Iginla smackdown rumors dont help as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad