Proposal: Proposals Thread: Everything But The TV, Couch and Kitchen Sink Are For Sale!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I'd take Phaneuf

but I wouldn't take Clarkson, which I'm guessing would have to be a throw in

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
If we could swing Gagner for Phaneuf or something in around there I would do it. I mean his contract is an overpay but he fills a need and with the way contracts are going these days, in a couple years 7M will more then likely be standard for a Phaneuf type. Also I think with a move he could give his new team at least 2-3 years of serviceable play before really starting to decline. Enough time for Nurse/Kelf/Marincin/Ekblad possibly to find their NHL game.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Seems to me we won't need a declining Dion in a few years, especially if we end up with Ekblad. We have 3-4 guys that will be up in the next 1-4 years.

Nurse, ?Ekblad, Davidson, Gernat, Musil, Simpson, plus Marincin and Klefbom are already going to be here next year IMHO. Why would we need Dion in a few years at that price? Seriously?

Are Oilers fans going to continue to be happy with no playoffs?

In the next 2-3 years the team is definitely better with Phaneuf, if not a lot had to go to T.O. in the trade.

Maybe the magic beans turn into something by 2016-17 ... maybe.

A true top-pairing guy undoubtedly makes this team better. If Phaneuf got his edge back and/or got healthy after a trade that would make for a phenomenal addition for the next 3 + years.

The last few years of the contract there'll be a $90M salary cap and his salary won't be a boat anchor on the salary cap.

If the team didn't have to give up a ton to do this trade, why not?

Phaneuf-Petry
Marincin-J.Schultz
Ference-Klefbom
Belov

Not a top five in the league D corps, but a HUGE improvement over our current bottom five D corps for sure.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
For the record, I think everyone on the Leafs are better than what we've seen.

Carlyle is a terrible coach. His cup is thanks to Pronger, Niedermayer, and the drafting skills of Bryan Murray.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Seems to me we won't need a declining Dion in a few years, especially if we end up with Ekblad. We have 3-4 guys that will be up in the next 1-4 years.

Nurse, ?Ekblad, Davidson, Gernat, Musil, Simpson, plus Marincin and Klefbom are already going to be here next year IMHO. Why would we need Dion in a few years at that price? Seriously?

Yeah, I meant they'd try to unload him then. We're building the defense young and to last many years, no question. He'd be a bad fit then.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Are Oilers fans going to continue to be happy with no playoffs?

In the next 2-3 years the team is definitely better with Phaneuf, if not a lot had to go to T.O. in the trade.

Maybe the magic beans turn into something by 2016-17 ... maybe.

A true top-pairing guy undoubtedly makes this team better. If Phaneuf got his edge back and/or got healthy after a trade that would make for a phenomenal addition for the next 3 + years.

The last few years of the contract there'll be a $90M salary cap and his salary won't be a boat anchor on the salary cap.

If the team didn't have to give up a ton to do this trade, why not?

Phaneuf-Petry
Marincin-J.Schultz
Ference-Klefbom
Belov

Not a top five in the league D corps, but a HUGE improvement over our current bottom five D corps for sure.
Thing is they are not going to give him up for peanuts IMHO. I agree that D looks more balanced for sure.

I think they will ask the moon for Phaneuf. I'd rather try to sign a couple guys like Morris, Meszaros and Nikitin then wait on the kids. I doubt we have a shot at Markov or Boyle.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Yeah, I meant they'd try to unload him then. We're building the defense young and to last many years, no question. He'd be a bad fit then.

This is just it though. I don't think they will be trying to unload him. The Leafs just gave him a lot of money to stay on as their captain. The last bunch of games aside, they really have nobody better.

Guys that might move out of TO are more likely to be guys like Franson or Gardiner. They'll want a king's ransom for them too.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
Ugly contract, but as others have said, he would step in as the best defenseman on this team. Always hated him, and everything I've seen and heard indicates he is a total ****** off the ice. I don't care if it makes us a better team though.

If I were MacT it would definitely be something I would think about pursuing. If we somehow got him for cheap he would give this team an immediate boost.

I will continue to hate him in the meantime.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
"Hey Andrew, I know we commited long-term to you to bring you back to your hometown and then named you captain, but we think Boychuk's our guy. Our mistake."

Maybe he should stop playing like crap and show some leadership on the ice.

stoff

Apr 19, 2007
I'd say he's the most realistic option for the Oilers to acquire a top pairing defenceman this summer AINEC.
I just hope he doesn't sign a discounted extension to stay with the Penguins. With Letang's condition I'm not sure the Penguins will give him up willy nilly.

Ya I would love to sign Niskanen. Would be a great fit on this team. Would think it would take 4-5 million on the open market tho.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Ugly contract, but as others have said, he would step in as the best defenseman on this team. Always hated him, and everything I've seen and heard indicates he is a total ****** off the ice. I don't care if it makes us a better team though.

If I were MacT it would definitely be something I would think about pursuing. If we somehow got him for cheap he would give this team an immediate boost.

I will continue to hate him in the meantime.

My feelings exactly.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yeah, I would take Phaneuf on this team.

He would be crazy expensive though. A lot of Leaf fans are depressed right now so they are talking silly. If the bidding starts low it won't end there because there are many teams out there that would love to bring him aboard and worry about his issues later. What's a worse headache? Playing Phaneuf on your top line or Ference? Or maybe a rookie like Klefbom?

They say the cap won't rise as quick as many are saying but 7 million is not a huge cap hit.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah, I would take Phaneuf on this team.

He would be crazy expensive though. A lot of Leaf fans are depressed right now so they are talking silly. If the bidding starts low it won't end there because there are many teams out there that would love to bring him aboard and worry about his issues later. What's a worse headache? Playing Phaneuf on your top line or Ference? Or maybe a rookie like Klefbom?

They say the cap won't rise as quick as many are saying but 7 million is not a huge cap hit.

Depends what many are saying? Cap is definitely going up big time because of the Rogers deal. No impact next year, because the deal doesn't kick in yet. 2-3 years after 90 million will happen with only a 3% or so rise in all other HRR. So that's a pretty big jump. To have a top pairing guy take up 8 or 9% of your cap isn't a big deal.

I fear you are correct it is Leafs fans talking silly that has started this thread.

With Phaneuf on the team (and not having to give up a ton to get him), this team would look better than the 2005-06 team did going into the start of that season. Granted, it was some pretty smart moves during the season that lead to the cup run...

Lrrr

Omicron Persei 8
Apr 7, 2010
Edmonton
Why is it a foregone conclusion that Reinhart, Bennet, etc. will just seamlessly slot into the 2C next year?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Depends what many are saying? Cap is definitely going up big time because of the Rogers deal. No impact next year, because the deal doesn't kick in yet. 2-3 years after 90 million will happen with only a 3% or so rise in all other HRR. So that's a pretty big jump. To have a top pairing guy take up 8 or 9% of your cap isn't a big deal.

I fear you are correct it is Leafs fans talking silly that has started this thread.

With Phaneuf on the team (and not having to give up a ton to get him), this team would look better than the 2005-06 team did going into the start of that season. Granted, it was some pretty smart moves during the season that lead to the cup run...

The cap might not go up as much as expected if the Canadian dollar keeps going down.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Why is it a foregone conclusion that Reinhart, Bennet, etc. will just seamlessly slot into the 2C next year?

Reinhart for sure will play next season and be effective, Bennett and Drasaitl may have more of a learning curve.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
If we don't get Ekblad and take one of Reinhart, Draisaitl or Bennet and the Leafs will do something around Gagner for Phaneuf, then yes. Unless that one specific situation happens, I'd prefer to look elsewhere if we're going to be spending 7M per for a D-man.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I can see Draisaitl being a bust or taking 3-4-5 years to develop. Bennett I don't know much about. Reinhart isn't that exciting a prospect to me. This draft just seems so average. Only hope is Ekblad.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Id much rather just wait out the Leafs and wait for the contracts they have to implode in their face and then go after Gunnarson.

They will have to pay 5.25 for Clarkson, 7 for Phaneuf, 7 for Kessel, around 5 for Kadri, 4.75 for Bozak, 4.5 for Gardiner. They can handle paying for that core. But I imagine Nonis will feel pressure for this recent debacle and will offer an insane contract to Callahan this summer, plus overpay for a D, and throw cash at Bolland over a long term.

When this happens and the Leafs aren't cap complacent, go after Gunnarson with a D prospect (Musil/Gernat) + a pick.

Then try and sign a guy like Markov or Nikitin

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I can see Draisaitl being a bust or taking 3-4-5 years to develop. Bennett I don't know much about. Reinhart isn't that exciting a prospect to me. This draft just seems so average. Only hope is Ekblad.

Agreed. I think Draisaitl will need a couple years (ala Johansen) to develop. And the fact that hes not physical, and isn't a strong two way player worries me.

I like Bennett, but in a good draft he is going in the 5-8 range, I think a comparable is Monahan.

I think Reinhart and Ekblad are two good prospects tho. Maybe Reinhart can turn into a guy like Seguin, and Ekblad into Hedman. However it appears this draft isn't overly stocked with elite talent

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
No

A faux tough player with suspect hockey sense who needs to be carefully managed to mitigate his defensive breakdowns, all topped off with a terrible contract based on his overrated reputation.

The Oilers have enough of those types of players.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Agreed. I think Draisaitl will need a couple years (ala Johansen) to develop. And the fact that hes not physical, and isn't a strong two way player worries me.

I like Bennett, but in a good draft he is going in the 5-8 range, I think a comparable is Monahan.

I think Reinhart and Ekblad are two good prospects tho. Maybe Reinhart can turn into a guy like Seguin, and Ekblad into Hedman. However it appears this draft isn't overly stocked with elite talent

I said it before but this draft reminds me of 2009. Reinhart = Tavares(Tavares clearly better at the time but compable IMO), Ekblad = Hedman, and Bennett = Duchene. All 3 guys are going to be good players. I'd say there's no franchise players in this draft but you'll likely end up with a 1st line center or top pairing dman if your picking top 3. If you pick under that then it starts to become more and more of a crap shoot very quickly.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown

From my own personal viewing, I'd add "insufficient skating skill and ability." He has to be one of the uglier skaters that will be going in the top 5 that we've seen in a while. I've only seen him the one time, but he was either very disinterested or his overall skating was well below par.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad