Proposal: Proposals Thread: Everything But The TV, Couch and Kitchen Sink Are For Sale!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Phaneuf and Petry have been nearly identical even strength players over the last few seasons.

Would you be willing to pay Petry $7M if he were doing the same as he is now but with an extra 15-20 powerplay points per season?

Ugly contract and probably an ugly price to get him.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
This is just it though. I don't think they will be trying to unload him. The Leafs just gave him a lot of money to stay on as their captain. The last bunch of games aside, they really have nobody better.

Guys that might move out of TO are more likely to be guys like Franson or Gardiner. They'll want a king's ransom for them too.

Gardiner maybe - and rightfully so - but most Toronto fans would trade Franson for the cost of airfare to get him out of town.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I don't think people understand just how bad Phaneuf is, how quickly he's fallen. Not like he was great in the first place though either.

I know the fans and team are desperate, but at his price, with his character, plus the fact he would not be motivated to play here at all, it's not worth considering in the slightest. They can do better than Phaneuf.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Hate Stauffer but he mentioned that Anaheim is loaded with good young players that aren't in the NHL yet and are in prime position to pull a 3-for-1 trade similar to what they got in return for Ryan.

Also mentioned that although they're not a cap team, they have tons of cap to spend.

I'm guessing Sbisa, Etem, and a 1st for Kesler....

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
I still don't want him. Might as well re-sign Souray. Same player with the same attitude, just younger.

Souray was the only guy that actually called management out for what they were and was exiled because of it. Our PP was feared because of him.

If we could get a guy like Souray when we first signed him I would do it in a heartbeat.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Dion is a locker room cancer. Even if you guys dont believe those Iginla stories you can watch 24 7 again to see the ego this guy has.

Work ethic and team culture is already an issue on this team. Getting guys like Gordon and Hendricks is the right path.

Dion is 3 steps back.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Souray was the only guy that actually called management out for what they were and was exiled because of it. Our PP was feared because of him.

If we could get a guy like Souray when we first signed him I would do it in a heartbeat.

You forget who was coaching the team. The Oiler's powerplay during Souray's time here was 21st(08), 22nd(09, big year from Souray), 18th(10, Mact was finally gone, the team crashed and burned, yet still improved slightly).

The Oilers never had a feared powerplay at any point during the 9 years Mactavish coached the team, it was always compromised by lack of forward talent and poor coaching tactics. Souray was a dangerous player when he was on the Oilers, but it was only for one year, and didn't really translate to much powerplay success.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Thing is they are not going to give him up for peanuts IMHO. I agree that D looks more balanced for sure.

I think they will ask the moon for Phaneuf. I'd rather try to sign a couple guys like Morris, Meszaros and Nikitin then wait on the kids. I doubt we have a shot at Markov or Boyle.

Bingo. We get these 2 guys we got a respectable defense still minus a #1 guy. Team would be way better thats for sure.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
his ntc kicks in on July 1. I do not beleive a lot of temas have the desire and the cap space for him so it will be a very limited market. If Nonis decieds he has to move him, we might get him cheap. Someone said Gagner and that feels like fair value right now.

Rhett Warrener played with him and is now a radio guy in calgary. In his opinion, Dion will never be even average defensively. He just lacks the ability to play defence. If Dion was scoring 25 goals, all would be forgiven but he only has 8 this year. Rhett would not take him back on the Flames if he was free and he shared a dressing room with him.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Dion is a locker room cancer. Even if you guys dont believe those Iginla stories you can watch 24 7 again to see the ego this guy has.

Work ethic and team culture is already an issue on this team. Getting guys like Gordon and Hendricks is the right path.

Dion is 3 steps back.

1) Clearly you were in the dressing room with Dion so you'd totally know.

2) Getting 4th liners, instead of top pairing D, is clearly the way to go

:help:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If rather go after Orpik, Greene and Morris during free agency. All 3 of those guys would add toughness and character to this team.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
There could be the option of the Leafs retaining some salary...but...even then I don't think Oilers management/scouting has what it takes to properly research whats been going on behind the scenes with Dion...in order to determine whether he would be bringing good or bad luggage with him.

Therefore...I think its best to simply stay away.

The Oilers are in dire-straits and therefore need to seek players who leave no room for doubt about who they are as a player, a person, a teammate and ultimately what contributions they can make to solving the massive pile of problems this squad is buried under right meow.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
A guy I would go hard after is Iginla. Trade away Eberle and gagner for someone like Josi if you can, and maybe a depth player or something. Then throw iginla 6 mil for 2 years. Yah he is old, but he is still a skilled vet. And a true powerforward and leader. Its obvious our kids don't work well with the grinder types so bring in someone who has done more than they ever have.

I doubt he would sign here unless he got a cup with Boston and wanted to come back close to home.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If the asking price was Sam Gagner, yes I would do it. Having a locker room full of "character guys" hasn't won us ****, if anything this team is too damn nice, they may as well say "yes sir, may I have another?" after getting their butts whupped.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No chance Jarome Iginla would screw the Flames like that and sign with the Oilers. He has too much history with that franchise to do that or risk getting booed at the Saddledome.

8BostonRocker24

Feb 8, 2006
Silicon Valley
A guy I would go hard after is Iginla. Trade away Eberle and gagner for someone like Josi if you can, and maybe a depth player or something. Then throw iginla 6 mil for 2 years. Yah he is old, but he is still a skilled vet. And a true powerforward and leader. Its obvious our kids don't work well with the grinder types so bring in someone who has done more than they ever have.

I doubt he would sign here unless he got a cup with Boston and wanted to come back close to home.
$6 million / year or $3 million / year?
Iginla is going to make $4.2 million this year, and you'll be hard pressed to find a Boston fan that won't want him back for the same $4.2 million.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
$6 million / year or $3 million / year?
Iginla is going to make $4.2 million this year, and you'll be hard pressed to find a Boston fan that won't want him back for the same $4.2 million.

6 per. Sorry I should have wrote that better.

I know you guys would want him back, still a great player. It's why I would offer him a boatload of cash for more than a year.

No chance Jarome Iginla would screw the Flames like that and sign with the Oilers. He has too much history with that franchise to do that or risk getting booed at the Saddledome.

I thought about this, but with the flames in an obvious rebuild of their own maybe it wouldn't completely deter him. That and as we have seen in the past players do some strange **** at times. Jagr in Philly, and Jarome last year with the whole Pitt/Boston fiasco.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If Iggy wins the Cup, he'll either stay in Boston or come back to Calgary.

If he doesn't win the Cup he'll continue to be a gun for hire until he does win one (or retires).

He's not playing in Edmonton, virtually no incentive to do that, he can get $4-$5 mill easy on the open market, so $6 from Edmonton is nothing mind blowing.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
If Iggy wins the Cup, he'll either stay in Boston or come back to Calgary.

If he doesn't win the Cup he'll continue to be a gun for hire until he does win one (or retires).

He's not playing in Edmonton, virtually no incentive to do that, he can get $4-$5 mill easy on the open market, so $6 from Edmonton is nothing mind blowing.

1-2 mill plus another year (i'd assume most would only offer a year) is quite a bit. But I do see what your saying.

You think Calgary would be taking him back? I guess it would be like us with Smyth. I just sort of figured they were ending an era so to speak.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
the bad stuff recently written about him in this thread and the one on the main boards definitely give me pause about him, but I think I still would welcome him on the team even the trading price were high. Just not a core piece or this year's 1st.

I take it many would give up Gagner but how high would you be willing to go? Gagner + Klefbom+ something decent maybe? If we're making trades for roster players we might as well send a good D prospect back since we are already log-jammed.

I would love Gardiner on this team though. Maybe at that price we could get him instead but he seems to be working out as a Leaf.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'd add him just as I'd add Jack Johnson. Or Brian Campbell. Or Francois Beauchemin. Or Joni Pitkanen. This team needs a big minute top-pairing defenseman more than anything else - preferably left-handed. They need a guy who can make a good first pass out of the defensive zone. Anything else like physicality or defensive awareness is just gravy.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I'd say he's the most realistic option for the Oilers to acquire a top pairing defenceman this summer AINEC.
I just hope he doesn't sign a discounted extension to stay with the Penguins. With Letang's condition I'm not sure the Penguins will give him up willy nilly.

I'd say he's the most realistic option for the Oilers to acquire a top pairing defenceman this summer AINEC.
I just hope he doesn't sign a discounted extension to stay with the Penguins. With Letang's condition I'm not sure the Penguins will give him up willy nilly.

Here's the problem. D are so in demand come UFA, you basically have the pick of where you wanna go if your a good player. Unless they overpay or get a local guy who wants to play in Alberta, there is no real "Realistic" options.

This is going to have to be built on the drafting and trading of players. Sure, they can overpay but do we really want to do that? Realistically the best they'll get is a guy like Kyle Quincey. Now, that might not be the worst thing in the world but it's not going to solve the mess they're in.

Here's what we have.

Schultz
Marincin
Klefbom
Petry

Klefbom is still not ready but there's "something" there.
Simpson isn't ready.
Nurse isn't ready
Morrison if signed probably needs some AHL time
Folin isn't coming. Why would he?
Gernat isn't ready although I think he's closer than others

So you have Ference and need to add a couple. Hopefully it's Ekblad and an overpaid vet like Greene. I think that's probably the best we can hope for. Then you try to make a play on a guy like Hainsey or Tallinder to play a year with Schultz to settle him down a bit. I don't think they'll be able to grab a guy like Timmonen even though he's the perfect guy. Signing a Quincey/Stoner type might help the team as a whole but Schultz needs good habits to form with a vet partner not what he'll get from a Ference or Quincey.

All in all, they have to concentrate on two vets to help bring the young guys around. It's not going to be easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad