Proposal: Price for Vlasic

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Habs dont care about having a star goaltender, and hes not going to be one by the time the Habs are a playoff team again.
Every team wants a star goaltender. That's probably one of the most important ingredients to a good hockey team.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
Does Kane's contract still count to the cap or has that been erased now?
Erased for now. But I doubt that holds. There will likely be a settlement where sharks will be stuck with some kind of cap hit. No idea how much or for how long though. We just have need foe other players too. Hertl(if he isn't traded), Ferraro, Dahlen, Barabanov this year and Meier the following year. Even with Kane completely off the books are cap isn't great.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Erased for now. But I doubt that holds. There will likely be a settlement where sharks will be stuck with some kind of cap hit. No idea how much or for how long though. We just have need foe other players too. Hertl(if he isn't traded), Ferraro, Dahlen, Barabanov this year and Meier the following year. Even with Kane completely off the books are cap isn't great.
Interesting - thanks. I thought it was a creative solution by the Shark's GM. Will see if it sticks.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I don't see how this makes sense at all for Montreal. I think we can all agree, getting a 4/5 Dman isn't difficult via FA at roughly 2.5-4M. Montreal also has enough on their current roster so this isn't a need.

Montreal would be far better to retain 40% on Price and receive actual assets that can help their rebuild, rather than an overpaid player who would just block players who are the strength of their prospect pool (LHD). Retaining on Price allows them to spend the money saved on an actual need.

The determination that Price is "declining" and therefore is worthless, seems to totally ignore the fact he carried an inferior team to the finals just last year. Sure, he's not worth his contract, but he can still play at a high level.

For the record, I don't think Montreal would retain that much on Price, but hypothetically it would be a better option than Vlassic.

Reactions: ole ole

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
with SJ in the playoff picture and clearly having goalies woes, could this be one of the only possible trades the Habs can move Price WITHOUT retaining salary?

Vlasic has his own horrible contract at $7M until 2026, but cheaper than Price.

Someone was listening to TSN690 this morning.

I forgot to add...IMHO, any GM who gives up assets before Price shows that he can tend goal at an above average starter level, should be fired the moment that the trade is announced.

Reactions: amnesiac

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Every team wants a star goaltender. That's probably one of the most important ingredients to a good hockey team.
not when youre rebuilding and trying to land top picks... I guarantee you Gorton wants Wright and Bedard/Michkov, and is probably telling Price to not hurry back for that exact reason.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I’d only do this from SJ if we could LTIR Price but then that defeats the purpose from MTL. While Price would (or at least should not 100% sure what injuries he’s dealing with) be an improvement, Sharks really aren’t looking to go all in currently. I think Hill will be better as the team fully adapts to him and Reimer is there to stopgap in the meantime. While I’d give Vlasic away for used toilet paper, this is a trade that doesn’t make sense.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
you think Price wants to be part of this rebuild and wouldnt want to go out west at this point?

of course we dont WANT Vlasic, but thats what you have to take in order to trade Price WITHOUT salary retained

I'd rather keep Price or retain half and actually get something for Price. Montreal doesn't really have a ton of room at LD. They still need a goalie for now. And its still Price.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
with SJ in the playoff picture and clearly having goalies woes, could this be one of the only possible trades the Habs can move Price WITHOUT retaining salary?

Vlasic has his own horrible contract at $7M until 2026, but cheaper than Price.
A trade of two untradable contracts. Other than Skinner, probably the two worst contracts in the NHL. Price and Vlasic. Doubt this happens but it’s the only way Habs trade Price without major retention.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I’m more for buying Vlasic out than trading him straight up for Price. Our goaltending has been fine. We’re thin up front due to injuries and COVID and also thin on the left side of defense in terms of quality. We have higher priorities than the net for now.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
the only thing youve tried explaining is that Price "can still be great", which doesnt help the Habs at all.

Of course Vlasic has a bad contract as well, but its cheaper, and possibly the ONLY way to get rid of Prices FULL contract. Vlasic is a better buyout too.
Factor in the fact that Montreal has to replace Price with another goalie and they end up saving nothing on the cap and end up with a much worse player in Vlasic. I don’t understand your end game here. There’s zero upside for Montreal.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I don't see how this makes sense at all for Montreal. I think we can all agree, getting a 4/5 Dman isn't difficult via FA at roughly 2.5-4M. Montreal also has enough on their current roster so this isn't a need.

Montreal would be far better to retain 40% on Price and receive actual assets that can help their rebuild, rather than an overpaid player who would just block players who are the strength of their prospect pool (LHD). Retaining on Price allows them to spend the money saved on an actual need.

The determination that Price is "declining" and therefore is worthless, seems to totally ignore the fact he carried an inferior team to the finals just last year. Sure, he's not worth his contract, but he can still play at a high level.

For the record, I don't think Montreal would retain that much on Price, but hypothetically it would be a better option than Vlassic.

What assets at 40%? Even at 50%, it’s very questionable and, at the very least, you’ll likely be taking back bad contracts to make the salaries work.

Reactions: McJedi

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
I don’t see why Montreal would want Vlasic. IMO his contract is worse than Price. I still can’t believe he has fallen off so much, considered the best defensive dman for so long.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Factor in the fact that Montreal has to replace Price with another goalie and they end up saving nothing on the cap and end up with a much worse player in Vlasic. I don’t understand your end game here. There’s zero upside for Montreal.
why would Montreal need to replace Price when they are clearly tanking/rebuilding and have Aleen and Primeau?

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Even if they don't go on another run he is still fun to watch for the fanbase. I also suspect there would be better deals out there if The Habs wanted to move him or he wanted out.
will be more fun for the fanbase to have the likes of Wright and Bedard/Michkov than Price

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
why would he? hes probably not 100% but his inury is not the issue why he isnt back yet
Are you his Doctor?
You don't have a single freakin clue. Guy hasn't been on the ice for a full month now. He may very well stay on LTIR for the remainder of his contracr which allows Habs to use their cao leverage to get more pics

You can't do that with Vlasic

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Are you his Doctor?
You don't have a single freakin clue. Guy hasn't been on the ice for a full month now. He may very well stay on LTIR for the remainder of his contracr which allows Habs to use their cao leverage to get more pics

You can't do that with Vlasic
They wouldve said by now that the reason he isnt returning is due to lingering injury, I listen to Montreal sports radio every day. They have not mentioned it once.

The reason he most liekly isnt back is because either hes not ready mentally after his layoff in October, OR Gorton doesnt want him out there winning games for them at this point...... yeah, thats a realistic possibility believe it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad