GDT: Canucks Training Camp Thread | DAY 03

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Hughes is a smart guy. It's true there is no need to galaxy brain it. For 1/3 of the game at 5v5 they tilt the ice and put a forward line in attack mode for most of their shift.

What changed to make us a division champ from a non playoff team?

Without going through the whole list that was one of the biggest. Put teams on their heals and got Hughes a Norris Trophy.

Like this quote too..

“We had a bunch of great additions and I think we’re a better team this year than we were last year.”-Quinn Hughes

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Didn't know that Desharnais was a former Chilliwack Chief.

Sounds like a real character guy also.

Adam Foote is a good guy to learn from for Vinny he's talked about being excited for that.

Been a really good PK guy off sets any ideas of pounding our D on dump and chase and will mix it up when needed which is nice for some push back. Him and Myers back to back is some serious size and reach

If our D staff can help him make less miss fires on his outlets that would be nice as that's a glaring weakness. His stats show he's tough to get high danger scoring chances and capitalize on them. Obviously protects the middle of the ice well in his zone.

Gonna be interesting how those bottom pairs come together. Looks like a weakness for sure but with one of the best top pairs in all of hockey they wont be leaned on to do too much

Reactions: TruGr1t

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Petey being in a good head space is nice to see. People forget because of his point totals early last season (especially on the PP) that he never looked quite as dominant as he did the year before, outside of that NY east coast trip. Excited to see what he brings to the table this year.

Injuries so early are slightly annoying, but it seems like everyone has a pretty clear path to recovery outside of Demko. He seems to have matured as well re: knowing his body, so hopefully once this is behind him we don't see him burn himself out.

Overall really liking the team's temperament across the board, from management down. Those things don't win you games, but they sure can make you lose them if you come in with the wrong mindset.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Petey being in a good head space is nice to see. People forget because of his point totals early last season (especially on the PP) that he never looked quite as dominant as he did the year before, outside of that NY east coast trip. Excited to see what he brings to the table this year.

Injuries so early are slightly annoying, but it seems like everyone has a pretty clear path to recovery outside of Demko. He seems to have matured as well re: knowing his body, so hopefully once this is behind him we don't see him burn himself out.
I dont quite understand this.

Isn't it his trainers and coaches job to keep that in check..?
Overall really liking the team's temperament across the board, from management down. Those things don't win you games, but they sure can make you lose them if you come in with the wrong mindset.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I dont quite understand this.

Isn't it his trainers and coaches job to keep that in check..?
you seem confused a lot.

For someone that works in physio you should understand that all of what you do and say only helps if the client/patient plays ball and is able to communicate and problem solve themselves.

How many hours do you think they supervise their day to day and what could you know or be able to do if they just say they are all good when having issues.

And the coaches are not babysitters who manage 50 contracted players every hour.

It's hilarious that you think these guys who got to this level are like children and just keep pointing fingers at whoever you think arbitrarily and making excuses based off guesswork.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Question for Canucks fan, do you Daniel Sprong in a top 6 role for most of the year?
Nope but he has a good chance to start the year that way. Twice the same thing has happened for him though.

As the games mean more the coaches will not tolerate poor defensive play and lacking effort and decision making. I'm sure when he looks off Pettersson to shoot high and wide and starts a 3 on 2 the other way a few times he will get stapled to the bench or worse.

At 27 i doubt he can change too much of who he is. If more teams were after this guy i might be more bullish but 30 other teams scouted UFAs and decided he wasn't worth more than a million with that analytical scoring profile.......if your thinking hockey pool with our renewed wing depth anything above 35pts is very risky. If a significant top6 injury happens in camp though he could be a good gamble to get 40-50

Reactions: BerthMania

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Didn't know that Desharnais was a former Chilliwack Chief.

Sounds like a real character guy also.

Adam Foote is a good guy to learn from for Vinny he's talked about being excited for that.

Been a really good PK guy off sets any ideas of pounding our D on dump and chase and will mix it up when needed which is nice for some push back. Him and Myers back to back is some serious size and reach

If our D staff can help him make less miss fires on his outlets that would be nice as that's a glaring weakness. His stats show he's tough to get high danger scoring chances and capitalize on them. Obviously protects the middle of the ice well in his zone.

Gonna be interesting how those bottom pairs come together. Looks like a weakness for sure but with one of the best top pairs in all of hockey they wont be leaned on to do too much
I know "good in the room" is a cliche/meme, but DeBrusk and Desharnais both seem like great teammates just based off of their interviews so far.

Reactions: sting101

ephmrl

5th overall.
Nov 26, 2011
Victoria, BC
For a player I knew nothing about, Felton looks very mobile and has stood out through the first few days at camp. Might be a solid call up option for the Canucks this season.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
For a player I knew nothing about, Felton looks very mobile and has stood out through the first few days at camp. Might be a solid call up option for the Canucks this season.
I am a little leery, he’s been punching above his weight. Maybe I’ve just been burned by players too often but I would be concerned he will come back down to earth quicker than later.

Reactions: ephmrl

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I know "good in the room" is a cliche/meme, but DeBrusk and Desharnais both seem like great teammates just based off of their interviews so far.
i agree re:cliche

It's good and important in a long season to have to have enough chatty character types to keep the room light and who don't mind being there for media taking heat off others like Petey Hronek Demko even Boeser that dont seem that fond of it.

That was a huge part of the Bieksa Burrows Kesler trio. They all had a way of stirring shit up whether by practical jokes or on the ice getting under the oppositions skin. Very underrated part of a team is having enough "character". It is nice hearing about the additions bringing it. We certainly lost a big one in Zadorov

Reactions: Nucker101

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad