GDT: Canucks Training Camp Thread | DAY 03

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Stig

Rest In Peace Johnny Gaudreau
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Look, I know how training camp works. But they should start the main lines together immediately. Get the chemistry off to an immediate start. Play lines 1&4 and 2&3 in the pre season.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
He was the best goal scorer in the SHL as a junior age player last year. It’s entirely possible imo.
I think you are getting Pettersson mixed up with Lekkermaki. I just checked, Lekkermaki was not the best goal scorer in the SHL. He was top 10 in basically every catagory though except pts/g.

He's very talented, but expecting a young player that just turned 20 two months ago to come in and put up 30 goals is a lot to ask for. I do hope you are right, but the expectation should be that he comes in and plays a few games as a call-up and hover around PPG in the AHL. Anything else for him would be really good.

Reactions: quat and Vector

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Agreed. If someone gets hot, they'll stay - if not, it'll be a revolving door.

I do think Sprong is the intended target for the third man for that line - but again, especially with Joshua and Blueger questionable to start, we could see some different deployments, and it looks like the Canucks are at least toying with the idea of someone like Lekkerimaki, Bains or Raty playing at the start of the season.
it may be as simple as slotting Sprong in when they need a goal and replacing him with Sherwood when they need to protect a lead in the third. It will definitely be interesting to see how Sprong is utilized since he has been traditionally used in limited roles

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Look, I know how training camp works. But they should start the main lines together immediately. Get the chemistry off to an immediate start. Play lines 1&4 and 2&3 in the pre season.

They have in some respects, Heinen is riding shotgun with Miller/Boeser, and you've got Hoglander standing in for Joshua on the Garland line. Then the line with PDG-Sherwood looks likely to be some formulation of the fourth line.

Canucks Army noted Tocchet has already stapled most of his "duos" together in Pettersson-Debrusk, Miller-Boeser, and Suter-Sprong looks like it could be tried regularly. Sasson is just standing in for Blueger it looks like. On defense, I think Soucy-Desharnais has a pretty good shot of being a starting pair.

Most of the fringe guys outside of Sasson and Raty have been stapled together in some way ... the only reason you're not seeing more firm combos in my opinion is because Joshua and Blueger are not ready to practice. Outside of that, it looks like quite a few guys are lining up where you'd expect.

The Stig

Rest In Peace Johnny Gaudreau
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
They have in some respects, Heinen is riding shotgun with Miller/Boeser, and you've got Hoglander standing in for Joshua on the Garland line. Then the line with PDG-Sherwood looks likely to be some formulation of the fourth line.

Canucks Army noted Tocchet has already stapled most of his "duos" together in Pettersson-Debrusk, Miller-Boeser, and Suter-Sprong looks like it could be tried regularly. Sasson is just standing in for Blueger it looks like. On defense, I think Soucy-Desharnais has a pretty good shot of being a starting pair.

Most of the fringe guys outside of Sasson and Raty have been stapled together in some way ... the only reason you're not seeing more firm combos in my opinion is because Joshua and Blueger are not ready to practice. Outside of that, it looks like quite a few guys are lining up where you'd expect.

I mean more for pre season games but that's good. I hate when a pre season game comes up and, for example, Boeser is playing but Miller isn't.

Reactions: TruGr1t

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
Not sure if unpopular opinion, but I just don’t see Bains as an NHL player at all. Cool story and good guy, but I’d rather call up Aman/Raty/Sasson/Lekkerimaki. Just a very underwhelming package at this level.
I think he might be a late bloomer and a gem. Needs polish in his game, some strength, and some confidence, but if that comes together he could be a good contributor. He’s a smart player.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Not sure if unpopular opinion, but I just don’t see Bains as an NHL player at all. Cool story and good guy, but I’d rather call up Aman/Raty/Sasson/Lekkerimaki. Just a very underwhelming package at this level.
He's in tough with his physical limitations, not fast and not that big/strong either. If he makes it he's going to have to out-smart NHL players.

Reactions: wonton15

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm sure that's what they probably said about Vincent Desharnais in 2020-21 when he was a 24 year old d-man dividing his season between the Wichita Thunder of the ECHL and Bakersfield in the AHL.

Improvement is never 'lineal" with pro hockey players. My impression is that Bains will do whatever it takes, and one day 'will' his way into the NHL. But might not be with Vancouver if somebody picks him up on waivers.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

I think he looked largely over his head during his 8 games last year, with the odd flash of potential - but his trajectory so far makes him an intriguing prospect, still. Undrafted in the WHL to top scorer, signed as a free agent by Vancouver to top-six scorer in Abbotsford in less than two seasons. He keeps rising to the level of play, so I'm interested to see how this year goes for him.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Really reminded me of Ronalds Kenins during his 2nd stint up with the Canucks. He could skate around and looked purposeful....but had zero positive impacts.

Can put the silly Hogs trade rumors to bed thankfully

I'm not convinced. They are talking him up to obviously inflate his trade value. :sarcasm:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Bold prediction - Lekk scores 30 if he sticks to the Pettersson line.
I will be amazed if he plays on that line all year and doesn't score 30. I assume he would get power play time on the first unit it he sticks.

Lekk Miller Petey Boeser Hughs or will it be Debrusk Miller Petey Boeser Hughes on the PP?

cc

Feb 28, 2002

I'm always pumped for any positive Hoglander news.

My theory is that his high energy style of play burns him out later in the season. If he can improve his stamina, I don't see why he can't be a legit top line player.

Reactions: quat

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018

My theory is that his high energy style of play burns him out later in the season. If he can improve his stamina, I don't see why he can't be a legit top line player.
I'm not sure how his cardio compares to last season, but it should also help him make fewer mistakes with the puck or defensive coverage. Less fatigue should mean a sharper brain.

Reactions: quat and cc

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

I still remember Hoglander on the unicycle, at the same time as he was juggling pucks or whatever else was handy. He's a guy who's skating agility was off the charts, but could always have used more separation speed. But if he's finally added to his repertoire, another 24 goal season might be a low estimate for him.

Reactions: quat and cc

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Disagree. Superlative work ethic, really strong hockey sense, and good vision suggest to me that he was getting his feet wet and will end up a nice 3rd liner with some touch who can put in 35 points a year while not being a liability out there and probably learn to PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad