Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #9 wasn’t a very good one

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
But he smiles a lot and has a power stance or something or something. I forget anything he's good at. About the only bench acumen on the team is not on the bench. The guy that is a spotter looking at calls to review. Thats about the only thing they do well. lol that twice Woody was lookign to challenge goals in a blowout. Like what the f*** is the point?
He’s even better than Tippett at putting McDrai together at the first sign of trouble.
Like shit, how has he STILL not realized that sure they score more together but the also allow way more goals against than apart.
And literally the only message it sends the team is “oh we are losing, partially because our top guys refuse to defend? Well you all suck so I willl try and get them to save us”.
It’s a freaking team sport Woody this isn’t basketball. Nurse ain’t good enough for that either.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
The dark truth I've been saying since forever is this team is lacking depth and goaltending. They've been propped up by 2 elite players and an amazing powerplay. Players like Hyman and Kane have lost their luster. Also that Nurse contract is gonna hold this team back big time.

When I see teams like the Bruins play, it's amazing how hard the whole team works every night. I just can't believe the media considers this team to be on the same level as them.
That team has / had real leaders, not pretenders. Every single one of their guys buys in. It starts from the core and they build the culture. What does it say about this team that this is the garbage they put in, on game f***ing 1?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
This whole age thing was already disputed by multiple posters.
jfc try watching or paying attention.

Look at the long list of players holland has brought in.

Kane, Hyman, Janmark, Ryan, Ekholm, Brown, Gagner, etc. Its the trouble with Holland clubs they age a lot quicker than other clubs because all he gets in is old. Not every player you bring in should be old.

Theres hardly any jump, speed, battle in this lineup outside the stars.

Hockey is largely a speed physical game. you gotta have that through the lineup. Janmark and Ryan looked ancient today. Even Kane, Hyman, Nuge.

Reactions: rickysusedsht

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Ofc, he knows that he needs to live up to his contract. It's just an evil cycle because now he puts more pressure onto him, and we all know a pressured Nurse is prone to making more mistakes.
It really is a vicious downward cycle. Started the moment he signed a contract he couldn’t live up to.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well, that’s a bunch of knee jerk nonsense considering the performances in the last two playoffs. The team has it, but they have to play like they actually care and not get out worked

McDavid and Draisaitl going supernova have it at least enough for us to get 6-8 wins in a post-season. After that ...

This defence and goaltending and the defensive coaching of this team (looking at Woodcroft and Manson) ... I think it's fair to ask if they "have" anything in the playoffs.

Which games in the playoffs in the last 2-3 years have we won because of our goaltending?

Our defence?

Our defensive coaching?

Zero.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Chalk it up to first game jitters and move on. Nothing to be gleaned from one bad game that got out of hand quickly and then the team gave up on it.

Worry if they lose 2 or 3 more.
There is lots to be gleamed from it, but no predictions should be made from it

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Kane, Hyman, Janmark, Ryan, Ekholm, Brown, Gagner, etc. Its the trouble with Holland clubs they age a lot quicker than other clubs because all he gets in is old. Not every player you bring in should be old.

Hockey is largely a speed physical game. you gotta have that through the lineup. Janmark and Ryan looked ancient today. Even Kane, Hyman, Nuge.
So what you’re saying is fire Holland. Glad to have you aboard.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't think Nurse has ever really been a top pairing D-man so I temper my expectations when it comes to his play. Top 4 D-man is more like it.
Yup. Thats smart on your part.
A $9.25M top 4 defender.
Thanks Holland.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Right now this roster is definitely worse than the roster that played vs the Knights... and it's not even close.

I don’t think anyone was fooled when the big addition this summer was Connor Brown. That is definitely not moving the needle whatsoever. Don’t get me wrong, I still think this team can make the playoffs (despite this putrid effort) but we’re fooling ourselves if we think they have any chance at winning it all.
As an aside, I haven’t seen such a disjointed team since the Eakins days. The coach is trying to implement some sort of system that the players either aren’t buying or don’t know how to execute. Maybe just go back to what we had last season? If it ain’t completely broke then don’t try to fix it.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Don't think anyone really expected this. I'm thinking they'll come back hard Saturday night, but even a win Saturday isn't going to alleviate my fears.

This team is mentally weak. They cannot find and bring their A game until a measure of guilt is present. It's not a skill issue. It's not a choice.. they don't just sit there and think.. f*** boys let's give them the first one. I don't honestly know why. But it's there. They can't buy in and turn their give a shit ometer up to top tier level until they've done something bad and have to make up for it.

They have to lose before they can win. It will work in the regular season. They're too talented not to make the playoffs. But when shit gets real and they run up against a team that's on their level. The first one's free will come in and bite them in the ass again. Because eventually they'll run up against a team they can't beat after giving away a freebee.

They want' to win, but unfortunately they can't until they take a punch first.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Eh the real jt miller will raise his head. Pouty pants will come to life. their d is probably near the bottom of the League. demko would need to have a vecina season for them to make the playoffs

100%

This country club team made them look a hell of a lot better than they are. Overrated finesse core, weak D depth propped up by being embarrassed into listening to a coach for a while (sounds like this group there) and a Vezina-worthy goalie (which if this team had one they would have won a Cup by now).

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
These country club losers don’t deserve Ekholm. He must have been embarrassed watching them tonight
Good thing if one of our players is embarrassed.

Looks like maybe the club looked at SC favorite press clippings a bit much. Its a question I ask a lot how can team thats never won anything be this arrogant. They actually expected an easy result tonight. They lost the battle for 3 periods.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Woody calls out work ethic and battle level as the main issue tonight. Can’t say he’s wrong.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

One game.

Their age is still middle of the pack, despite you not understanding how capfriendly's age is calculated.

Reactions: TB12

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
Was at the game. Honestly, this isn't first game blues. Outside of the goaltending, it's the same dcore that can't defend, can't hold a blue line, can't make a break out pass, can't do anything in the o zone other than get a puck and panic fire it into the corner to the other team.

If we don't upgrade this group, we aren't going anywhere, good goaltending aside.

This is the same abysmal play we generally get out of our dcore and it's not first game jitters. It's standard play from this awful group of dman

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
From 2007 to 2016 the Oilers lost by 7 or more goals only 3 times.

#CupOrBust
Outliers happen. That’s why they are outliers. Shit first game but I’d rather have that outlier in the very first game. Easier to shake off

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Good thing if one of our players is embarrassed.

Looks like maybe the club looked at SC favorite press clippings a bit much. Its a question I ask a lot how can team thats never won anything be this arrogant. They actually expected an easy result tonight. They lost the battle for 3 periods.

Good news is the press probably won't be singing our praises anymore.

Teams with Gagner Nilsson and Cogliano playing over 20 minutes a night didn't lose this hard.

f***ing unreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad