Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #9 wasn’t a very good one

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Woodcroft never has the team ready to go...never
But he smiles a lot and has a power stance or something or something. I forget anything he's good at. About the only bench acumen on the team is not on the bench. The guy that is a spotter looking at calls to review. Thats about the only thing they do well. lol that twice Woody was lookign to challenge goals in a blowout. Like what the f*** is the point?

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

JeffSkinner53

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Sloppy effort deserves sloppy meme
82abfj.jpg

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
This is the worst coaching and schemes and gameplan I've seen since Eakins.

its not even remotely evident the team knows what to do. Its not evident we even have coaches and work schemes.

That said what a slow ass team. Its like I said for months. You can't just keep getting older players. Suddenly your team is going to be looking old, slow, and not have much jam.

Wheres the energy players? Wheres the jump and speed.
This whole age thing was already disputed by multiple posters.

Reactions: TB12

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Leave it to Spector to directly bring up the Captains skates to Captains face. f*** off Spec.

Yeh no shit it didn’t work for game 1. Want McDavid to cry about it?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Screw 9.5. He played like pure garbage tonight. If he doesn’t want to get “called out then don’t play like that.
He sucked and so does his contract. But on the human side of things he looks pretty hurt. Which sucks.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So the team arrives in Edmonton early to make sure that they are ready to start the season.
Then in the first game of the season they go out and get their asses handed to them by a non playoff team.
As I posted earlier. They were....

out hit
out worked
out chanced
out goaltended

That was a pathetic effort form the defence. Nurse...the leader of this defence (when the real leader isnt in the lineup) was hot garbage. He has the 'skate into no mans land and screen the goalie thing' down to a science. When Ekholm is out Nurse needs to step up...not regress.
Broberg and Bouchard werent much better.
A fine example of what the defence looks like without Ekholm.

Campbells rebound control is not very good. I am not blaming him for this loss but I have no confidence in his ability to lock things down.

As for Vancouver...they didnt give the Oilers much at all. Excellent body position in their own zone...very good sticks which took away passing lanes. Very solid on the forecheck.
Tochett is a very good coach and it showed as he had full buy in.

Woody on the other hand....had a team on the ice that thought they could just show up and win a game.
They should be completely humbled because the Canucks embarrassed them tonight.
Ekholm had better be in the lineup on Saturday or this team could very well drop another one.

Last edited:

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
I mean, their work rate was non-existent. It's game 1, FFS. Not the second of a back to back in the doldrums of February. It is on the f***ing players to prep themselves, mentally, to get ready to play. They were beaten on every aspect of the game. How the f*** are they paid millions of dollars to turn in that kind of shit? Just no sense of responsibility or accountability in there.

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
The dark truth I've been saying since forever is this team is lacking depth and goaltending. They've been propped up by 2 elite players and an amazing powerplay. Players like Hyman and Kane have lost their luster. Also that Nurse contract is gonna hold this team back big time.

When I see teams like the Bruins play, it's amazing how hard the whole team works every night. I just can't believe the media considers this team to be on the same level as them.

Reactions: Shizuka

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I read somewhere that maybe going with the whole “cup or bust” narrative was a bad idea considering our suspect defence core and goaltenders have not proven otherwise and we are just going off vibes

I wholeheartedly agree with that statement.

Well, that’s a bunch of knee jerk nonsense considering the performances in the last two playoffs. The team has it, but they have to play like they actually care and not get out worked

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
The dark truth I've been saying since forever is this team is lacking depth and goaltending. They've been propped up by 2 elite players and an amazing powerplay. Players like Hyman and Kane have lost their luster. Also that Nurse contract is gonna hold this team back big time.

When I see teams like the Bruins play, it's amazing how hard the whole team works every night. I just can't believe the media considers this team to be on the same level as them.

And yet they shit the bed the first round last year. I get your point but not a great example

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
He sucked and so does his contract. But on the human side of things he looks pretty hurt. Which sucks.
Ofc, he knows that he needs to live up to his contract. It's just an evil cycle because now he puts more pressure onto him, and we all know a pressured Nurse is prone to making more mistakes.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
So the team arrives in Edmonton early to make sure that they are ready to start the season.
Then in the first game of the season they go out and get their asses handed to them by a non playoff team.
As I posted earlier. They were....

out hit
out worked
out chanced
out goaltended

That was a pathetic effort form the defence. the leader of this defence (when the real leader isnt in the lineup) was hot garbage. He has the 'skate into no mans land and screen the goalie thing' down to a science. When Ekholm is out Nurse needs to step up...not regress.
Broberg and Bouchard werent much better.
Campbells rebound control is not very good. I am not blaming him for this loss but I have no confidence in his ability to lock things down.
A fine example of what the defence looks like without Ekholm.

As for Vancouver...they didnt give the Oilers much at all. Excellent body position in their own zone...very good sticks which took away passing lanes. Very solid on the forecheck.
Tochett is a very good coach and it showed as he had full buy in.

Woody on the other hand....
Ekholm had better be in the lineup on Saturday or this team could very well drop another one.
I don't think Nurse has ever really been a top pairing D-man so I temper my expectations when it comes to his play. Top 4 D-man is more like it.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
No panic...but I do think that the Canucks talent level has been underestimated these last few seasons. They may have sent a message tonight that they have fixed some mental problems and are going to raise some dust.
Eh the real jt miller will raise his head. Pouty pants will come to life. their d is probably near the bottom of the League. demko would need to have a vezona season for them to make the playoffs

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Chalk it up to first game jitters and move on. Nothing to be gleaned from one bad game that got out of hand quickly and then the team gave up on it.

Worry if they lose 2 or 3 more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad